Apple, here we go again, M1 chip

Sarex

Faster, stronger, harder and more hipster than ever. Makes sense for them to invest in their own chip across all devices, but I really want to see if the numbers stand up. Will also be interesting to see their desktop variant chip.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I don't care about Apple, I dislike their walled garden approach, but I am curious about how these chips are going to perform versus their x86 counterparts. I have long believed that ARM will eventually displace x86 in laptops, in desktops, and in servers. In servers it's already begun happening, but it's taken much longer for ARM to reach laptops and desktops than I anticipated. With Apple making their own chips and Nvidia buying ARM, it's going to get interesting in a few years.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The long "Production Health and Safety" title disclaimers at the end of the video remind me of "no animals were harmed during the production of this..."  Sign of the times. :lol:

9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I dislike their walled garden approach,

Ditto.  Some of their products have been temping for various reasons/uses - just not enough to make up for that.  Tech-wise they're often interesting.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Really, I wouldn't be even slightly worried about that. Apple's value for money proposition is utterly atrocious and their PC equivalents are bought by hipsters concerned mostly by getting the correct Marque to seem cool, to other hipsters. They might corner the money-no-object performance-no-consideration market- that they already have- but that's it.

If the ARM sale goes through nVidia would be far more likely to push ARM based laptops and desktops successfully than Apple because they won't be primarily interested in selling thousand dollar monitor stand class accessories to gullible idiots as Apple is.

• Like 1

I agree with Zoraptor, this is more of a make more money by paying less to other manufacturers then it's about competing with other companies. I mean for them to want to compete would mean they would have to support other OS and I don't see apple doing that.

Edited by Sarex

I'll give Apple this, they have done a wonderful job branding themselves as a hipster status symbol. They will probably never capture the mainstream the way Android and Windows did, simply because the cost of entry for their products is prohibitive enough that it's generally a barrier to anyone who isn't already a cult member, or at least part of their cult's demographic. Still, they are raking money in hand over fist from their brainwashed cult members. By charging premium prices for average at best hardware they are both maintaining their status symbol image and creating a massive profit margin. It's pretty brilliant, to be honest.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's not so much about their products or their demographics it's the fact that historically, when they commit themselves to a market, they are absolutely determined to crush them and be as anti-competitive as possible.

I honestly think that Microsoft knocking them out of the OS market for a while all those years ago really traumatized them and gave them an inferiority complex, so now they've developed a bit of a narcissistic business mentality and just want to dominate everything.

Edited by ComradeMaster

Battery claims are true it seems and the performance seems to be better on the native apps, the only downside for users is that the 3rd party app support is still in progress (some apps are emulated while others don't work).

• 3 years later...