What Are You Playing Now: The meaning of life

Gorth

On 12/28/2020 at 9:56 PM, Malcador said:

On to Secret Files 2....the voice acting for Nina is worse.

Actually, all the VA is worse, somehow.  This game is going to be a slog.  But guess I have to play some crap game, anyway.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I really enjoyed Empyrion.

I have grown impatient and have started playing Subnautica: Below Zero. I know it isn't totally done yet, but it is still super polished and there is a lot of story to explore. I just made my first base and I've been exploring some crazy biomes. This planet isn't quite as desolate as the last one, I already encountered a real human being. 

Have you heard about our lord and savior Noita?

It's getting hard for me to stick to anything else. I'm always wanting to jump in for a quick run that turns into a few hours and multiple runs. Will I get lightning bolt today? Will I accidentally electrocute myself in water when I do? Will I become electric and stand on a propane tank and explode? Here's to hoping I finally get unlimited bombs and explosion immunity! Finally a luminous drill that can go 4 length indefinitely, killing everything through walls. Except that one thing that... according to wiki only attacks me if I attack it. Too late.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

2 hours ago, Tale said:

Have you heard about our lord and savior Noita?

I went to uni with one of the guys who's making it, probably the main designer since it looks just like the stuff he used to do back then. My impression was that he can be pretty inventive when making platformers. So if you like the genre, I'm sure Noita will deliver.

After learning how to switch audio languages for Cyberpunk thru Steam settings, I thought it might work for Death Stranding too.  But then I discovered that DS seems to now include many more languages in the in-game menu to begin with.  When did that happen, one of the patches I presume - most definitely couldn't do that before, it was the first thing I checked when I bought it on PC (couldn't change it on console originally either).

But whatever...it means that finally I can play Death Stranding with Kenjiro Tsuda's voice instead of Norman Reedus' voice!  Now I have a new motivation/reason to actually play again and finish the game on PC.  ::happydance::

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

And now I just binged through Blacksad. Shows 7 hours, but it felt a little longer. Anyway, it's up there with Telltale's best. Right behind Telltale's own Noir comic license, A Wolf Among Us.

Subnautica: Below Zero is really fantastic. They are increasing the price soon, it is only $20 now, so pick it up if you were a fan of the original. They've improved a few things and give you an excellent new world to explore.

Hitman 2 (2018)

The reboot is great but imo it kinda lacks the magic over the older series, especially Blood Money.  I'd call it quality vs. quantity.

It just sometimes feels more like a Bourne Identity-Bondesque series than a Hitman series.

Hitman generally kill for money w/o too much emphasis on moral considerations, every single person you have to assassinate is some kind of super villain.

Bailed on Brno in FM, just couldn't take the restrictions and having pointless drama queens. Ended up at Zenit, which is a surprise, sort of hate playing in Russia as I need Russian players on the field and invariably decent ones seem to be scarce.  But can at least use them to build reputation.

• Gasp! 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've reached chapter 6 (of 15) in my NG+ Legend playthrough of Y:LaD. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it's a slog.

In the regular playthrough I breezed through most of the game. There were a few tough battles, but nothing really brutal. Plus, if I wanted to overlevel, it was generally a pretty quick process, especially once I unlocked Sotenbori.

Playing on Legend difficulty even random mooks can put up a good, albeit manageable, fight. Special fights can be really brutal and require specific party composition and gear, and even then you need to grind quite a bit to get tough enough to survive until you can whittle down numbers. For extra madness I'm currently running Saeko as a Dealer. The Dealer is a SUPER RNG job. Random damage, random buffs, random debuffs, random targets, it's bonkers. There's one particularly powerful skill that can even sometimes hit your own party members and totally screw you over... or it can do massive damage to the enemies, or completely miss, or some combination of those outcomes. I doubt I'll run this job late game, but it definitely makes things tense and interesting. :wowey:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

i've been enjoying Outward coop. Slightly janky, but the survival/exploration is quite fun. We just made it to a new town, but our loot chest is in our hometown so we can't just dump all our stuff, and we're too broke to afford an inn, so vagrancy it is!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I played through Beyond a Steel Sky over the weekend. Joey is fantastic. That's the only noteworthy part of the game, sadly. None of the other characters are worth remembering. And the story is exactly what you're used to from dystopia disguised as utopia fiction. But Joey is funny and a delight and I wish the game had been all about him instead of the world's most dull and emotionless man, Foster.

I find myself wanting a really good party based RPG with quirky characters or super funny adventure game. Sadly I'm turning up empty for one I haven't already played yet. Recommendations, anyone?

22 minutes ago, Tale said:

I find myself wanting a really good party based RPG with quirky characters

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a party based RPG with a mix of tense, dramatic, heartwarming, and completely bat**** crazy. It's from Ryu Ga Gotoku, so it's GotY-level good.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm really wary of anything Yakuza. I played 14 hours of 0 before realizing I'd only encountered about an hour of worthwhile plot. The game has the pacing of someone walking their execution. It doesn't want to get on with it.

I'm serious when I say I thought I'd only had about an hour of plot. Looking at my achievements and I'm in Chapter 5 and apparently completed 10 substories. And I don't remember a single damn thing.

Just finished Disco Elysium.

It's probably the best written game I've played in years. Was very impressed lots of times. The middle part was a bit boring, because the game made you run around a lot, and also started throwing lots of exposition around. However, it got better again to the end.

Making this game must have been an incredible amount of work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Still moving on in Secret Files 2.  Really hate Max's voice in this one.  Puzzles aren't too bad, had trouble with the temple entrance one, I guess I didn't think of fish and slugs as mute and homeless.  Fair amount of people die in this one, even a kid, well off-screen.

I finished Bards Tale 4 yesterday and what a gaming experience it was, firstly it scores a solid 70/100 on the globally respected and followed " BruceVC gaming rating score " system 

However for those that havent played this RPG yet I need to share some important feedback so you dont misunderstand the good and bad of this game 

It was unquestionably the hardest RPG I have ever played and the primary reason for this is the puzzles that are intrinsically part of the game and cannot be ignored or glossed over. There are about 5-6 puzzles that come up  regularly throughout the game in different maps so if you dont like puzzles dont play this RPG 

I generally dont like puzzles or rather I dont like spending hours trying to solve them....life is too short for me to spend 4 hours on a specific puzzle in any game. The secret to Bards Tale puzzles is all the puzzles have similar mechanics around their basic rules so you must learn this and then the solving of them becomes  fun or much less frustrating 

I admit even though I learnt the mechanics of the puzzles I used game guides for at least 30-35 % of all puzzles but the game guides are not always clear and sometimes wrong with their views on how to solve them. But the guides definitely help 

Then sometimes, especially in the beginning of the game on early levels , some of the combat seems unbalanced agaisnt your party so I would sometimes drop the difficulty level to easy for about 10 % of all combat. Dont feel bad about doing this because some battles are almost impossible without this

But the combat and skill advancement is complex and great fun once you understand the various metrics like Divinity 2 

Also there is very  little hand holding and you must get use to going back to rooms and areas on maps because sometimes you can easily miss a key that is critical to open a certain gate, once again I sometimes used guides to find where certain items were

But the game design is excellent around offering you side quests and exciting different ways to advance your party and they do reward you for " going off the beaten path  " and exploring things outside the primary quest 

So in closing, excellent RPG but very difficult around puzzles that can become very frustrating if you dont fully understand the puzzle objective and trust me some of the puzzles, like the blood flowing door opening cogs, can be incredibly difficult to understand

Interesting statistic, based on accurate Steam data only 6 % of all people who started this RPG finally completed it so its definitely a " hardcore " RPG and not for everyone who may prefer a less complex gaming experience

But well done InXile for creating such a compelling game 8)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Swallowed my pride and turned the difficulty down to hard in my NG+ run of Y:LaD. There is a boss fight in chapter 6 against an excavator and it's just absolutely brutal, not quite Emerald Weapon level but quite punishing. You kind of have to just hope it doesn't use one of two ultra-powerful attacks that can just one-shot multiple party members and I'm kind of stuck in that dungeon and grinding to get tough enough to where I could survive those attacks regularly with my entire party would take so ridiculously long. I'll run through the game on hard, ignoring all the side content, until I get to Sotenbori and the battle arena, which is the best place to grind by several country miles. After I complete the game on hard I'll start NG+(+) on Legend, but at level 80+ and at least level 40 in every job.

It's a testament to how much I like this game that I'm willing to put myself through Legend difficulty. It's akin to Supreme Jerk in Wasteland, just an utterly unfair difficulty.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Alternating between Tales of Zestiria DLC, Shadowrun HongKong Bonus Campaign and Assetto Corsa community racing 😛

• Gasp! 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It took me a long time to figure out what poe2 was.

"There is a game about Poe?"

"There is a second game about Poe?"

"Wait, that is an acronym... Planet of... epilepsy warnings? of Equestrians?"

"Got it! Planet of Edgar. Clever word play with the acronym there. Who came up with that? I want to play that game."

Then it clicked.

I have to admit, a bit disappointed.

• Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On 1/3/2021 at 2:43 AM, ComradeMaster said:

Hitman 2 (2018)

The reboot is great but imo it kinda lacks the magic over the older series, especially Blood Money.  I'd call it quality vs. quantity.

It just sometimes feels more like a Bourne Identity-Bondesque series than a Hitman series.

Hitman generally kill for money w/o too much emphasis on moral considerations, every single person you have to assassinate is some kind of super villain.

17 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Swallowed my pride and turned the difficulty down to hard in my NG+ run of Y:LaD. There is a boss fight in chapter 6 against an excavator and it's just absolutely brutal, not quite Emerald Weapon level but quite punishing. You kind of have to just hope it doesn't use one of two ultra-powerful attacks that can just one-shot multiple party members and I'm kind of stuck in that dungeon and grinding to get tough enough to where I could survive those attacks regularly with my entire party would take so ridiculously long. I'll run through the game on hard, ignoring all the side content, until I get to Sotenbori and the battle arena, which is the best place to grind by several country miles. After I complete the game on hard I'll start NG+(+) on Legend, but at level 80+ and at least level 40 in every job.

It's a testament to how much I like this game that I'm willing to put myself through Legend difficulty. It's akin to Supreme Jerk in Wasteland, just an utterly unfair difficulty.

Isnt it an interesting type of thought pattern us gamers seem to demonstrate at times when we feel almost guilty about dropping the difficulty level of games :lol:

As I mentioned in my Bards Tale 4 review I sometimes drop the difficulty level on some games, not all games like RDR2 single player or Bioware games , and even  though I consciously do it under no manipulation or coercion I always feel guilty ...always. Like I am breaking some kind of code and I am betraying some principle which I dont really know how to explain how or what I am breaking :teehee:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela