Music: Sharing and Listening

Amentep

New official video from Rammstein from the new album... Dicke Titten ("Big ****"). About... yeah.

Edit: It's Rammstein. Watch at your own risk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I would've guessed Finland based on the name, but Estonia is somewhat related to their northern neighbors (edit: iirc that is, help me out here you Finns and Estonians)👍

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

41 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I would've guessed Finland based on the name, but Estonia is somewhat related to their northern neighbors (edit: iirc that is, help me out here you Finns and Estonians)👍

As languages, Finnish and Estonian are very close to each other. Fun historical fact: Estonians tend to speak Finnish, because quite a lot of Finnish TV has been available in Estonia even in the Soviet times, and the languages are close enough so that you can pick the other up from TV if you know one of them. The converse is not true: Finns don't tend to speak Estonian, because Estonian TV has not been regarded as interesting in Finland. Estonia "drifted further away" from Finland during the Soviet era, and there was some strain in the relationships after Estonia's independence, because Finland wasn't always very helpful politically / diplomatically and because Finnish tourists tended to regard Tallinn as a place where they could go and buy extremely cheap booze (and you'll know the consequences...). The war in Ukraine has certainly brought the nations closer to each other.

Arvo Pärt is interesting: his "trick" is very simple and he tends to repeat it over and over again, but his best works are still good indeed. Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten, link above, is a good example: it's a hauntingly beautiful piece.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:58 AM, xzar_monty said:

very simple 

and to think we purpose avoided adding one o' our other faves.

any legit Gromnir playlist is gonna include heavy doses o' bach, gershwin and arvo pärt, with philip glass having a curious tidal appeal. 'course chicago blues (buddy guy, muddy waters) is also likely to get due consideration albeit to a lesser degree.  

am finding contemporary pop music to be kinda monotonous and uninspired, but otherwise is gonna be difficult to find a genre we do not like... though as a generality we feel 'bout jazz much as does stewart copeland. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Drums and bagpipes... what's not to love?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Drums and bagpipes... what's not to love?

am wondering if the guy with the green bagpipes takes all kinda sh!te from his companions, 'cause he looks way too normal for that bunch. can't help but wonder if he is a roadkill artist or similar. something. anything. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

I had no idea I wanted a screaming metal cover of PSY's "Gentlemen," but apparently I did.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Drummers are a bit... different?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

old joke:

what do you say to a drummer in a three-piece suit?

Spoiler

will the defendant please rise?

even so, am not trusting the ginger gnome with the bagpipes neither. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I remember this one from my teenage years... lots of memories of drunken parties letting loose to this 😇

As a curiosity, Ram Jam didn't invent this song, it has a longer history than the 70's

https://americansongwriter.com/behind-the-meaning-of-the-song-black-betty-by-ram-jam/

"The original song, “Black Betty,” started as a work song, sung predominately by Black people in the early 20th century. "

• Like 2

Inspired by the obituary thread... I've never seen Twin Peaks, but I remember the voice 😢

On 6/12/2022 at 2:01 PM, Gorth said:

They're the best (says one). Here's some marvelous footage. Btw, if anyone wishes to count what time signature that main riff is in, there's a fairly big clue right there in front of you.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

Since I was spending a bit of time in the 80's recently, I suddenly remembered that once upon a time, I actually spoke a bit of French too (never mind that I haven't used it for close to 40 years, so don't ask me to show it, it's gone)

Sadly some of those old, non-English videos haven't been preserved well, if at all...

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

a couple from sweet charity

maybe or maybe not recognizing ben vereen in the linked vid

sammy davis appreciation has fallen off a bit in Gromnir's lifetime, which is a shame as he were monumental talented.

and what the heck... add the obvious

can't help but admit am a fosse fan in spite o' his historic jerkdom.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"I'm the only person here I've never heard of..." 😁

A new song by one of my favourite bands, Heilung was inspired by the texts written on ancient bracteates, many of which were inscribed with elder futhark runes from the migration period, with protective charms and spells.

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

HA! Good Fun!