Music: Sharing and Listening

Amentep

4 hours ago, bugarup said:

Speaking of Ukraine

They often do have interesting entries - just never when they win. I get why Ruslana won, of course:

Who doesn't like carefully crafted songs that appeal to every voting block equally, combined with Xena in a fur coat?

(That would be me! ;))

Now, at the risk of offending people: There's 2016's political pity win...

Yeah, thanks, but no thanks. I get the message, I get why it won, but hey, isn't there a rule about this having to be completely apolitical? Ukraine always gets a pass (Lasha is bad, mmkay!). As much as I liked Verka Serduchka's performance, if that's "Lasha Tumbai" in the lyrics then I'm a purple ****atoo. :p

Still, this year's entry was pretty good:

Surprised it came in 2nd in the popular vote. Certainly not undeserved. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Good to see him doing stuff still

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Y'all need some funk

vid

the duration o' the album version is more than fifteen minutes. too short.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

^ To be honest, I like the radio edit version of Knee Deep better. The album version outstays its welcome, it doesn't do enough different things to warrant 15+ minutes. It's a 5 minute song with 10 minutes of padding. I imagine there are live versions that are 15 or 20 minutes where P-Funk does enough improvising to make the entire run time interesting, but the album version doesn't do enough to justify the length IMHO. Similar case with the extended version of Flashlight. I like the shorter version of that song better.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In case you ever wondered what the difference between a great musician and a virtuoso is, the virtuoso can do things with his/her instrument beyond what are the normally established boundaries. Case in point:

My man plays lead, rhythm, and percussion, at times all simultaneously, on a bass guitar.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, majestic said:

They often do have interesting entries - just never when they win. I get why Ruslana won, of course:

Speaking of Ukraine... not really on topic per se, but still worth watching. My favourite Ukrainian entry into anything 😎

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A bit more on topic... Lindemann - Ich hasse Kinder (I hate children). As far as I understand the song, about childhood bullying and vengeance

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

A bit more on topic... Lindemann - Ich hasse Kinder (I hate children). As far as I understand the song, about childhood bullying and vengeance

Going by the lyrics its about someone who has to sit next to a crying child on a plane. There's some humor in it (I hate all children unless they're mine), but unless the video is about bullying I don't see how it would be. :)

It's a humorous take on parents that don't bother to engage with their children (in this case, on flights) and people who complain about children making noise all the while not being better themselves. Par for the course as far as Till Lindemann lyrics go. Not ever really going to be a fan of his singing though, but that's me.

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Going by the lyrics its about someone who has to sit next to a crying child on a plane. There's some humor in it (I hate all children unless they're mine), but unless the video is about bullying I don't see how it would be. :)

It's a humorous take on parents that don't bother to engage with their children (in this case, on flights) and people who complain about children making noise all the while not being better themselves. Par for the course as far as Till Lindemann lyrics go. Not ever really going to be a fan of his singing though, but that's me.

I think there is a bit more to it... the little boy that get beaten, humiliated, locked into the closet etc. by the bigger boy is the same that go on a killing spree as an adult and murders all those that tormented him as a kid. The now adult bully victim hates all children for their cruelty... unless they are his own kids.

edit: by extension mocking clueless parents who all believe *their* children are little angels and not the vicious little psychopaths they can be

14 hours ago, Gorth said:

I think there is a bit more to it... the little boy that get beaten, humiliated, locked into the closet etc. by the bigger boy is the same that go on a killing spree as an adult and murders all those that tormented him as a kid. The now adult bully victim hates all children for their cruelty... unless they are his own kids.

edit: by extension mocking clueless parents who all believe *their* children are little angels and not the vicious little psychopaths they can be

The latter part is in the lyrics, yes. A bit hidden, but in there. I haven't watched the video, so maybe it is about bullying. Just saying the lyrics aren't. :p

Some funny lyrics in this

"My friend says he wants to die He's in a band, they sound like Pearl Jam Their clothes are all black The music is crap"

My mother heard The Weeknd's Blinding Lights for the first time today, and it's bugging her that she can't remember where she heard "that song" before.

This amuses me immensly 😁

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Agent 47s cover is nice

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Agent 47s cover is nice

Not bad, needs some more SLAP tho'

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken