Politics... World events

Gorth

21 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

My contract is 5 euro cents. Here it varies depending on your contract. There are also some heavy taxes on top of that, especially if you own the building for which you have your contract.

Does that include transfer or do you pay it separately to company maintaining electrical grid?

Like I pay for electricity 0,04€/kWh, but then I pay 0.06€/kWh for transfer plus 4€ per month as base price.

It is so nice that you can bid price of electricity (and get that 0.01€/kWh cheaper electricity), but with transfer, grid maintain company has monopoly so there is nothing you can do except to move area where grid is controlled by another company 

36 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Does that include transfer or do you pay it separately to company maintaining electrical grid?

Like I pay for electricity 0,04€/kWh, but then I pay 0.06€/kWh for transfer plus 4€ per month as base price.

It is so nice that you can bid price of electricity (and get that 0.01€/kWh cheaper electricity), but with transfer, grid maintain company has monopoly so there is nothing you can do except to move area where grid is controlled by another company 

It doesn't include transfer. That was the first shock when I bought a house here in Sweden, but oh well. still beats paying rent around these parts.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

5 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Ok, all this talk of utilities cost can't be right. Are you sure you are not talking about SEK instead of euros?

I'm paying 349 SEK monthly, so more or less 35 euros for my 250Mb fiber internet, although that's with a discount. Without the discount the same service would cost 50 euros.

As for my electricity bill, which includes heating, the last monthly bill was for 2500 SEK(250 euros)which is a lot by my standards, but keep in mind that I keep the at temp around 23 degrees during the day, and the central heating is powered by a decades old electric heater. Also, this has been the coldest weather(-16C today) I've had since I live in this house.

Yeah, everything I have runs on electricity here, water pump, heating, water heating, I've also got electricity keeping my water pipes from freezing. I've got two heatpumps, both are set to 23 degrees, not that it reaches above 18C, so they're almost constantly working.

16000 kronor, or thereabout. For the last months period I used 4003KWh. Edit; I think, Vattenfalls site gives me headache if I'm not pumped full of coffee

Keep in mind, my house is on a stone foundation with holes in it to prevent rot, the floorboards are insulated by their thickness basically on the bottom floor, if there's wind you can feel it around your feet.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

7 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Yeah, everything I have runs on electricity here, water pump, heating, water heating, I've also got electricity keeping my water pipes from freezing. I've got two heatpumps, both are set to 23 degrees, not that it reaches above 18C, so they're almost constantly working.

16000 kronor, or thereabout. For the last months period I used 4003KWh. Edit; I think, Vattenfalls site gives me headache if I'm not pumped full of coffee

Keep in mind, my house is on a stone foundation with holes in it to prevent rot, the floorboards are insulated by their thickness basically on the bottom floor, if there's wind you can feel it around your feet.

That's a lot of electricity. Last month I used 3132 KWh. I guess your house's insulation truly is godawful. My house isn't as ancient as yours but it is still 60 years old and the walls haven't been fully renovated since, so my house isn't exactly well insulated. It does have a new roof and good windows, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

15 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

That's a lot of electricity. Last month I used 3132 KWh. I guess your house's insulation truly is godawful. My house isn't as ancient as yours but it is still 60 years old and the walls haven't been fully renovated since, so my house isn't exactly well insulated. It does have a new roof and good windows, though.

There's some debate about exactly how old the house is, but the official papers says it's from 1799. The roof is new, but there's only so much the roof can do when the four walls don't really hold up.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

13 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Wow. I just looked at our electricity bill and for the last quarter (90 days), we used 1241.8 kWh. In two months, you would use more than what we use in a year. My gf and I often think we use too much electricity and looking at solar panels to offset our electricity.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

We're looking at solar panels as well but they're pricier than I expected

This is a huge discussion and objective for many families in SA, the reality is it will always be a big investment in the beginning to go solar. I have a few  friends who went  this route so I can make a SA  comparison in Rands  to explain the increased costs but benefits in the long term

Normal electricity costs for one of  my friends and family per  month was about R2500. He installed solar panels  and connected  to them  cleverly with an App that allows him to control their  availability and monitor stored energy. The final cost to this was about R70,000 

But you can reduce your overall usage off the grid per month by 80 % and when we have nation wide load shedding his house is not impacted at all. But the real benefits are in the sustained long term savings. So even though their is this huge initial cost 70 K against the 2.5 k monthly payment you will definitely save money in the long term and the solar investment will pay itself off 

You just need that initial  large amount of money 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

Wow. I just looked at our electricity bill and for the last quarter (90 days), we used 1241.8 kWh. In two months, you would use more than what we use in a year. My gf and I often think we use too much electricity and looking at solar panels to offset our electricity.

Heating is very power hungry, especially if there is no insulation in the house.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Heating is very power hungry, especially if there is no insulation in the house.

Very much this. I shaved quite a bit of my bill by getting heat exchangers.

What's that heating thing you people are talking about? 🤔

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

What's that heating thing you people are talking about? 🤔

An overpriced GPU!

Now let's hit the topic:

How Chinese infrastructure is reshaping the planet | Salon.com

Very interesting article from Salon, they are like the only mainstream Western news source that's even remotely credible.

To summarize:  China's policies are effective but too authoritarian, so if the west wants to maintain it's role as planet leader it's going to have to compete and compete hard, and offer people a solid sensical alternative to growing Chinese influence.

Edited by ComradeMaster

Good old Recep Tayyip Erdogan going a bit mental at everyone having completely asterisked up a hostage rescue operation*. It's everyone's fault apart from his, especially his domestic Kurdish political enemies and the US. Probably Gulen, Israel, Iraq, students, gays, Syrian refugees, Greece, Armenia and Iran too. Coincidentally Turkey's economy is going down the gurgler as the funny money fiscal policy and building bubble burst, and he's getting publicly bent over by China over vaccine supply and being forced to abandon support for the Uighurs, not exactly a great look for someone who has tried to make themself the poster child for pan Turkism (despite Erdogan being ethnic Georgian, not Turkic, himself).

Ultimately that's the problem with using military adventurism to boost popularity artificially- it's temporary, so you have to do it semi constantly with diminishing returns; and if things don't work out as you want it has the reverse effect and you lose popularity. He'll probably try and ban the domestic Kurdish party soon, though overall that shouldn't have too much effect since HDP voters will 99% go for CHP over the pro Erdogan alternatives.

*while the headline says the victims were civilians, as claimed by Turkey, they were definitely non civilian police and army personnel. And there are a lot of rumours that the hostages were not executed but died either in a drone strike or during fighting. After all they had been held long term without execution prior to this.

• Like 2

(e): whoops, wrong thread but it's a stupid meme not worth posting over in the US thread too

clkkrbxjyqh61.jpg

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, ShadySands said:

We're looking at solar panels as well but they're pricier than I expected

Been doing quite a bit of research. The solar panel company that we're going with was just here running through the numbers. We didn't need a big inverter system and we don't have a lot of roof space so went with what we have. It's a $5000 system and will pay itself off in 3 1/2 years. We'll be going ahead and saving 75% off our electricity costs. Will be good to pay around $100 per quarter (approx $30 per month) instead of $450 per quarter for our electricity.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

On 2/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, ComradeMaster said:

An overpriced GPU!

I wasn't joking when I said that my choice of GPU was affected by heating :p

15 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

(despite Erdogan being ethnic Georgian, not Turkic, himself).

So was Stalin and Beria. Makes you wonder if there is something in the water... 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 hours ago, Elerond said:

Isn't that wrong way, I mean your choice of heating should be effected by your GPU 😋

I need to keep warm! A 300W card plus 200-ish W cpu going full tilt can raise the temperature a fair bit around my computer :p Folding at Home FTW

15 minutes ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

Facebook just cancelled Australia globally with any and ALL news from Australia regardless of what that 'news' may be. Whether it be blogs, government agencies - EVERYTHING.

LMAO.

perhaps mark zuckerberg just saw the cars that ate paris (1974)?

lord knows we have yet to forgive peter weir and australia since the mid 70s.

HA! Good Fun!

ps ain't actual a facebook tantrum. australia wants facebook to pay every time an australian created news product is viewed or linked. so...

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)