Politics... World events

Gorth

12 minutes ago, Malcador said:

He'd be like DU weaponry.  Bad effects in the long term.

He's in his 70s and probably not very healthy, if we rotate him enough there won't be much of a longterm.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If we had a Trump Tower he'd probably end up here, like James Cameron, Gabe Newell, Peter Thiel and the rest of the billionaire boltholers.

In more positive news, looks like START at least will get renewed, as both Biden and Putin agreed to it in their first presidential call and a renewal doesn't need congressional support. Interesting transcripts too, Russian one doesn't mention Solarwinds, Navalny, Ukraine etc while US one does; US one doesn't mention JCPOA, OpenSkies etc while the Russian one does. The translation from passive-aggressive suggests there's still a decent amount of things to talk past each other about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Anyway, Bolsonaro is temporary. Even if he finishes his term, the next president will be a leftist and things will go back to what they were before.

Whelp I have an hypothesis that "what they were before" probably wasn't so great or else Bolsonaro would not have gotten elected in the first place.  It's the same reason we got Trump up here.

I've always said that the U.S. is the most ass backwards country on the planet, right behind Brazil and Saudi Arabia.  The American continents are quite split up at the moment.

Edited by ComradeMaster

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

If we had a Trump Tower he'd probably end up here, like James Cameron, Gabe Newell, Peter Thiel and the rest of the billionaire boltholers.

I'm actually afraid Trump is going to literally end up in my neighborhood, he's good buddies with our alt right former governor and Linda Bean who owns quite a bit of property in and around the midcoast area.  He even said in one of his speeches that if things don't work out for him he may settle up here.

Spooky, but it's a literal possibility.

2 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Whelp I have an hypothesis that "what they were before" probably wasn't so great or else Bolsonaro would not have gotten elected in the first place.  It's the same reason we got Trump up here.

I've always said that the U.S. is the most ass backwards country on the planet, right behind Brazil and Saudi Arabia.  The American continents are quite split up at the moment.

I'm from Brazil so I can tell you what we had before. It was a leftist government that bribed the Congress to get things done and stole a lot of money. But, of course, each side of the political spectrum will only see the other as a threat to democracy.

And yes, Bolsonaro got elected because of the rejection against the previous guys.

Honestly, I don't have any hopes for the future of my country as people keep reelecting the same corrupt people over and over again. In Rio de Janeiro State they have arrested many former governors and the people still vote for them when they are candidates. In São Paulo it's even worse as they aren't even arrested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Didn't the polls have Lula winning versus Bolsonaro, until he got barred?

Yes. Lula would have won, which is the problem I described above. But without him the rejection was enough to elect Bolsonaro. In the beginning Bolsonaro didn't have many votes in the polls, many people didn't even take him seriously. He was famous though because he was always saying horrible racist or sexist things. But his "popularity" increased with time as more and more people realized that Lula's labour party was coming strong. However, Lula's replacement wasn't as popular as him.

I know many people that wanted to support other candidates, including a progressive right wing, that ended up voting for Bolsonaro because they were afraid the labour party would return to power.

Maybe it is just my impression, but if another leftist candidate went to the second round against Bolsonaro I think they would win. I have friends and relatives that would gladly vote for another leftist candidate but they didn't want the labour party back. Even some founders and former members of this party openly criticize its corruption today.

Edit: not a progressive liberal, there was another right wing candidate, but he was progressive, for example pro abortion.

Bolsonaro was the only non leftist candidate that really satisfied conservatives and he became the alternative to the labour party.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

Russian Attack Helicopters Purge ISIS Cells In Central Syria (southfront.org)

Noice.  I like it how Russians just take a hard no-nonsense approach to world problems, unlike when the U.S. does it and it's riddled with contradictions.

Spoiler

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

A lot of U.S. and European apparatchiks say Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country, these pictures beg to differ!

Edited by ComradeMaster
  • Hmmm 1

US strategy in Syria was pretty consistent at least from 2015 onwards. Prior to that it was messy to say the least, with Pentagon and CIA backed groups literally fighting each other at times, and a bunch of CIA backed groups joining ISIS. But from 2015 when the CIA was permanently sidelined apparent inconsistency was mostly because the publicly stated strategy and actual strategy were different. There's no doubt the US could have beaten ISIS far far quicker had they wanted to, but politically backing Iran backed shia militia and anarchist Kurds was too hard. The stated aim was to destroy ISIS, their actual aim was to contain it, and funnel it towards government held areas. With a funnel strategy either ISIS would end up in Damascus, making a proper intervention both inevitable and publicly acceptable or the government and ISIS would dissipate each others strength against each other, allowing US backed forces to pick up the pieces. That was predicated on Turkish sensibilities towards the PYD and assurances that the Turkish backed rebels would be an effective anti ISIS force- which they weren't- and Erdogan being Erdogan he managed to alienate the US pretty effectively so making the Kurds politically palatable. Since it was then a choice between the Kurds or Assad it was easy for the US to choose.

There were plenty of inconsistencies in the Russian approach too. Both the US and Russia claimed to be going after ISIS financing hard, but neither struck at the their extraordinarily obvious main revenue source- oil- significantly, until, the Turks shot down the Russian Su24. Then the Russians obliterated ISIS' tanker fleet in roughly two days. Why? Despite the statements both sides knew that Erdogan's son was facilitating the oil trade with ISIS, was getting a lot of money from it, and didn't want to rock that boat. Once Russia wanted a way to retaliate at Erdogan though his son's side earner was fair game.

It helps that the Russians treat the Syrian deployment as training too, they're not worried about dropping lots of ordnance and doing lots of flight hours because they'd just be dropping the bombs and doing the flight time on ranges inside Russia if they weren't there and it comes out of the existing training budget.

6 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Russian Attack Helicopters Purge ISIS Cells In Central Syria (southfront.org)

Noice.  I like it how Russians just take a hard no-nonsense approach to world problems, unlike when the U.S. does it and it's riddled with contradictions.

Reveal hidden contents

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

Thumbnail

A lot of U.S. and European apparatchiks say Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country, these pictures beg to differ!

You right of course, the Russians have a great and sustainable military strategy. Bomb the city to the ground and it doesnt matter if their are civilian casualties ....great approach, just tell the people of Aleppo and Grozny that :thumbsup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grozny_(1999–2000)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Attacking far right insurgents/terrorists/separatists, even in the U.S., deserves absolute commitment with no political strings attached.

Funny how the Second Chechen War was successful because Putin gave his commanders complete freedom of operation in such a nasty situation.

See the source image

See the source image

Edited by ComradeMaster

I suspect the Chechen war was both bloody, brutal and inhumane for the people living there. But you have to hand it to Putin, the region did get a lot more quiet. Maybe his KGB background came in handy? Like both how to instigate and how to quell a rebellion 101?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

I suspect the Chechen war was both bloody, brutal and inhumane for the people living there. But you have to hand it to Putin, the region did get a lot more quiet. Maybe his KGB background came in handy? Like both how to instigate and how to quell a rebellion 101?

Cut out the stupid and use allied Chechens (Kadyrov sr) against enemy Chechens was about the sum total of the 2nd Chechen War. Nothing quite like an internecine struggle for unpleasantness though, and Kadyrov wasn't shy about taking revenge on his enemies.

Can't argue with the effectiveness, there are a few rebels hanging around in Georgia but not much else, and virtually the entire Chechen rebel leadership is dead.

Navalny’s nationwide protests: Round II

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Cops in Russia have some cool looking gear.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The vast majority of Russians support Putin so I'm not worried about the U.S. elite turning them into some kind of U.S. puppet state (That's what they want by the way, an entire world run by neoliberal/conservative elites)

Why do people even want a unipolar world?  You want every country to be the same?  Sounds boring.  I'd prefer a competitive multipolar world anyday.

Edited by ComradeMaster

My inner pragmatist is not in favour of something that could destabilize Russia. Navalny might consider himself a crusader, but being good at crying foul doesn't necessarily make you a good leader. Even less so if you have to pick up the pieces of what you broke. Just smashing stuff for the sake of smashing stuff isn't going to make the life of the average Russian any better either. This is not the West with half a century or more of democratic traditions. Slow and steady (and less belligerent than China) transitions to a more modern and open society preferred, thanks ;)

As for Aung San Suu Kyi, if the military walks like a duck, sounds like a duck... time to duck and cover, a coup in all but name.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

The vast majority of Russians support Putin so I'm not worried about the U.S. elite turning them into some kind of U.S. puppet state (That's what they want by the way, an entire world run by neoliberal/conservative elites)

Why do people even want a unipolar world?  You want every country to be the same?  Sounds boring.  I'd prefer a competitive multipolar world anyday.

How would you know the majority of Russians support Putin when they dont have transparent elections ....like ever?

Oh wait, you say that because RT says that. Got it, I always forget to check credible sources of information like RT :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela