Politics... World events

Gorth

@Gorth

So tthe spat between Aussie gov't and Google/Facebook intensifies? 

@BruceVC

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2021/01/21/facebook-gives-fbi-private-messages-of-users-discussing-capitol-hill-riot/

This is the reason, why you don't want private data stored under US oversight. 

I can understand an action against an arrested person, that is charged with a tresspass action, and I can agree/understand to a degree a scan of publically posted info by users (a lot of companies do that already), but there is so many cases, where this is not right. 

What about non-us citizens? What about just disucussing the topic privately? Etc. 

Those companies forget, that their business model can be legisaleted away in other countries, and a lot of the world learnt during the Trump era, not to rely too much on US policy makers and learnt to deal with a use of US soft power. 

The ONLY thing keeping the US still in play as a dominant power is distrust to China/Russia as entities with more power on a geo-scale. The other part is the trade, but here situation changes over the years and the outlook favors more the Asia countries as trade partners for goods and services. 

Next bubble-pop might rearrange the world. 

@BruceVC

I know this is behind a paywall, but the topic in itself is worth attention. 

Do you think, that there is a real threat that at one point SA could follow in the steps of other african countries? It seems it has already deteriorated in terms of governance since the idealistic days of late 90s.

https://www.gisreportsonline.com/africas-presidents-for-life,politics,3415.html

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

So tthe spat between Aussie gov't and Google/Facebook intensifies?

No idea about Facebook (don't care, never use it), but the very simplified version of the disagreement with Google is, Google makes a lot of money copying articles from Australian news sites and showing to people, earning Google all the advertising revenue. In return, the news sites and the journalists gets nothing from Google, who distributes their work and sticks the profit in Googles own pockets. Somebody thought that was unfair and that Google should pay for the content if Google earns money on it. Of course, Google wont have that and have now threatened to pick up their toys and leave, stopping all Google services in Australia.

Edit: If it sounds like blackmail, stinks like blackmail and twitches like blackmail, then it might just be that, blackmail. I guess if you're big enough, you don't give a damn about appearances.

What was the Facebook stuff about? Am I missing out on an interesting story?

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

No idea about Facebook (don't care, never use it), but the very simplified version of the disagreement with Google is, Google makes a lot of money copying articles from Australian news sites and showing to people, earning Google all the advertising revenue. In return, the news sites and the journalists gets nothing from Google, who distributes their work and sticks the profit in Googles own pockets. Somebody thought that was unfair and that Google should pay for the content if Google earns money on it. Of course, Google wont have that and have now threatened to pick up their toys and leave, stopping all Google services in Australia.

Edit: If it sounds like blackmail, stinks like blackmail and twitches like blackmail, then it might just be that, blackmail. I guess if you're big enough, you don't give a damn about appearances.

We had the same discussion with Google in Germany/Europe which lead to the "Leistungsschutzrecht" - basically a law that's supposed to protect the effort that was put into researching and, writing and publishing articles and such. It got canceled by the EU in its current form but the discussion is not over yet. Something will come out of it. Afaik Google never threatened to leave Germany or the EU - would be like shooting oneself in the foot I guess. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

A similar thing happened over here a few years ago -- the conservative government back then, pressured by influential media conglomerates, passed a law that mandated that media extract a payment from Google (and similar services, but it was mainly aimed at Google) whenever their content was indexed in their News service. The literal next day, Google News shut down here (and nothing of value was lost). Marginal payments have been made by other services according to the law, since the government bureau charged with enforcement was endowed with a chair and a pen, in typical fashion.

In Australia's case, it seems Google is attempting to leverage its disproportionate market share to pressure the government into backing down from any attempts to hurt its bottom line. And I'll eat my hat if they lose. Unlike here, though, it seems they may be trying to strike one-on-one deals with big players to outmaneuver the gov't, in a sort of divide and conquer strategy. I think we better get used to it. The whole 'rona thing has been fantastic for big tech, and governments are going to keep losing the ability to rein them in.

It's always amusing when politicians are caught between two special interests so openly, though.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

13 hours ago, Gromnir said:

interesting how? state your concern. 

btw, we posted plenty o' videos from the summer protests in the US. the guy in buffalo, and christopher david is a couple examples.

Interesting, as in like everything else you say, with a little research, can been disapproved. No you did not post the guy in buffalo video, but you did make excuses for it or at least were willing to rationalize it. You did not post many (or none at all that I could find) videos showing the police brutality in the US/France protest, but you were willing to write essays rationalizing it or shifting blame.

the old guy in buffalo weren't pushed 'cause he were white or old or 'cause the cops were mentally ill. old guy were pushed 'cause cops were in a crowd control situation surrounded by dozens o' other cops and the cops believed their training and fellow cops demanded a show o' force.

I have no concern's, I couldn't care less what agenda you try to push, it just seemed interesting for me to me point it out.

11 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Huh? Grommie was super active on the US prostests.

It seems a bit anticlimactic, given most of the hardcore Russian nationalist have disappeared from this forum. 

He was supper active as I stated above, however he was not filling up pages with videos without any additional comments. I could bet money that none of the people you are thinking about were Russian nationalists.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

@BruceVC

I know this is behind a paywall, but the topic in itself is worth attention. 

Do you think, that there is a real threat that at one point SA could follow in the steps of other african countries? It seems it has already deteriorated in terms of governance since the idealistic days of late 90s.

https://www.gisreportsonline.com/africas-presidents-for-life,politics,3415.html

This is a relevant article and I am glad you sent this to me for clarification because it may appear to show some bizarre definition of Democracy but their is a story to this. I really support the eventual reality of a working, AU similar to the EU and these leaders are primary reasons the AU is not united in a proper EU fashion

They are the last of a small number of failed leaders who believed in flawed form of leadership called " leaders for life "

Anyway its always the citizens of these countries who suffer from these failed experiment in Afrca....at least they dont happen anymore 

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

It's somewhat telling, how little attention this story gets. Try googling for it and see what are the top returned results. (750 killed in ethiopia) 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/24/fabled-ark-could-be-among-ancient-treasures-in-danger-in-ethiopias-deadly-war

Imagine, if this was some other minority group. 

The world would ignore it like it is the Ethiopian conflict.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Interesting, as in like everything else you say, with a little research, can been disapproved.

go for it. if we state a fact about what is the law 'bout sending federal troops to portland and am wrong, disprove. state an opinion 'bout what is the cause o' disproportionate cop violence and is gonna be amusing to watch you try and disprove, but go for it.

just a couple videos posted related to summer protests, and one o' which is asking for restraint in condemning cops. 

nevertheless, you find interesting that Gromnir commented 'bout more videos as 'posed to posting 'em? ok. now what? say, "interesting" isn't particular insightful. no surprise.

any insights? perhaps you find interesting? maybe you don't. once again am posting w/o editorializing. 

is "interesting" to see which posters respond to our videos and how they respond. interesting.

HA! Good Fun!

ps will be interesting to see what happens on january 31

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

Somebody thought that was unfair and that Google should pay for the content if Google earns money on it. Of course, Google wont have that and have now threatened to pick up their toys and leave, stopping all Google services in Australia.

Somebody == Rupert Murdoch, which is the only reason why I'm not in complete support of Australia, just 99% in support. Wish our politicians had the balls to do the same here, but most we can expect is Jacinda looking very concerned, maybe.

9 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

It's somewhat telling, how little attention this story gets. Try googling for it and see what are the top returned results. (750 killed in ethiopia) 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/24/fabled-ark-could-be-among-ancient-treasures-in-danger-in-ethiopias-deadly-war

Imagine, if this was some other minority group.

There's literally no evidence that 750 people were killed. It's been maybe 2 weeks since the initial reports too, so there's been plenty of time for any evidence to be released.

There's lots of propaganda floating around about Ethiopia, due to the Grand Renaissance Dam. Trump even suggested that Egypt "had to do something" about it, with the example being literally blowing it up. The most likely people to be used to blow it up would be near local Ethiopian rebels, ie the Tigrayans, since anything else would be an overt act of war. It's not really any surprise that Trump's comments were on October 25, and the ceasefire in Tigray was broken by the- marxist, by the way, though you'd never know it from the reporting- TPLF attacking an army base scarcely a week later on November 4.

Caleb T. Maupin on Twitter: "The strike in #India, the largest strike in human history, is being led by #Communists. Don’t doubt it for a minute. https://t.co/AW6mnA2rF7" / Twitter

Nice.  Remember India, as well as Brazil, are run by an openly fascist regime. 

EDIT:  Whoops wrong thread, I meant the 'World Politics' thread, but the link in the old thread lead me here for some reason.

Edited by ComradeMaster

2 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Caleb T. Maupin on Twitter: "The strike in #India, the largest strike in human history, is being led by #Communists. Don’t doubt it for a minute. https://t.co/AW6mnA2rF7" / Twitter

EDIT:  Whoops wrong thread, I meant the 'World Politics' thread, but the link in the old thread lead me here for some reason.

Moved. It's possible they may merge again some day, but I thought there was so much election specific noise up to the election, that other topics wouldn't stand a chance of being noticed ;)

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

50 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Moved. It's possible they may merge again some day, but I thought there was so much election specific noise up to the election, that other topics wouldn't stand a chance of being noticed ;)

I personally like it being split, but it's not a big deal either way.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

For a long time I didn't even realize they were split. Just wondered one day why there was so little Trump in the thread.

• Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

46 minutes ago, Amentep said:

We can...uh...send Trump on a world tour if that would help. :shifty:

Not to Brazil, please. We already have Bolsonaro. 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

The regime in Brazil is not facist, though Bolsonaro certainly wants it. The Supreme Court has stopped some of his madness, so it is not that bad. Congress is in charge here. They allow what he wants until they don't, just like with impeached Dilma.

Anyway, Bolsonaro is temporary. Even if he finishes his term, the next president will be a leftist and things will go back to what they were before.

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Don't give him ideas...

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

I guess it's better than sending bombs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

30 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

is a legit question as to whether trump sooper spreader events or bombs dropped by US forces killed more people during the previous year.

also, am believing joan jett is still touring. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

He'd be like DU weaponry.  Bad effects in the long term.

Edited by Malcador