Politics... World events

Gorth

59 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Looks like China thought it a good time, while the White House is busy and all, to allow their navy vessel to open fire and sink other nations vessels in the disputed waters. I'm curious to see how long they can sink other countries fishing vessels in those other countries own local territorial waters before it escalates to something larger.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/23/china-authorises-coast-guard-to-fire-on-foreign-vessels-if

I wouldn't be surprised if China's next step is to make territorial claims on northern Australia (because it borders Chinese territorial waters, which they are trying to expand south of Papua New-Guinea) and Antarctica. Why oh why are we stuck with Scott Morrison as prime minister????

This is a worrying post Gorthfuscious, I need time to ruminate on it :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

Looks like China thought it a good time, while the White House is busy and all, to allow their navy vessel to open fire and sink other nations vessels in the disputed waters. I'm curious to see how long they can sink other countries fishing vessels in those other countries own local territorial waters before it escalates to something larger.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/23/china-authorises-coast-guard-to-fire-on-foreign-vessels-if

I wouldn't be surprised if China's next step is to make territorial claims on northern Australia (because it borders Chinese territorial waters, which they are trying to expand south of Papua New-Guinea) and Antarctica. Why oh why are we stuck with Scott Morrison as prime minister????

Yeah perhaps you need a right wing strongman to show those Commies who's boss, correct?

I swear these self proclaimed "leftists" want their cake and want to eat it to.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

This elderlies woman who was just passing by and asked "why are you tackling him" is now in hospital in with seriousl concussion. pic.twitter.com/KVNAr7lWH2

— Christo Grozev (@christogrozev) January 23, 2021

Meh, British police outright killed Ian Tomlinson in similar circumstances, and I'm sure a few cases of police brutality have made the press in the US too over the past year. Police gonna police, wherever they are.
As always, western media is guilty of massive wishful thinking about both Navalny's popularity and exactly who comes out to protest. Khabarovsk being the typical indicator, voted in the Liberal Democratic candidate in a landslide which has to be good since it isn't United Russia/ Putin and the guy is a liberal democrat, two good things... except LDPR is Vladimir Zhirinovsky's party of ultra nationalists, not some nice safe progressive liberal democrat in the western sense. Mirrors the protests in ~2012 where there was a prevalence of Soviet and Nationalist flags and even if Putin went you'd get either Zhirinovsky or Zyuganov instead. Zyuganov in particular would have been amusing, given how much effort the US put into interfering in the 1996 election on Yeltsin's behalf and against Zyuganov.
The ultimate problem with Navalny is that he has next to no appeal outside a very small set- young, educated, middle class, urban. Of course, they're the people that westerners typically interact with and who speak to/ use western media, so you get massive confirmation bias of some sort of grassroots uprising bubbling away. That's a bit of a threat to Putin since those demographics are concentrated in important places like Moscow or St Pete's, but not much of one- when only 0.1% of a city turns out to protest.

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Meh, British police outright killed Ian Tomlinson in similar circumstances, and I'm sure a few cases of police brutality have made the press in the US too over the past year. Police gonna police, wherever they are.
As always, western media is guilty of massive wishful thinking about both Navalny's popularity and exactly who comes out to protest. Khabarovsk being the typical indicator, voted in the Liberal Democratic candidate in a landslide which has to be good since it isn't United Russia/ Putin and the guy is a liberal democrat, two good things... except LDPR is Vladimir Zhirinovsky's party of ultra nationalists, not some nice safe progressive liberal democrat in the western sense. Mirrors the protests in ~2012 where there was a prevalence of Soviet and Nationalist flags and even if Putin went you'd get either Zhirinovsky or Zyuganov instead. Zyuganov in particular would have been amusing, given how much effort the US put into interfering in the 1996 election on Yeltsin's behalf and against Zyuganov.
The ultimate problem with Navalny is that he has next to no appeal outside a very small set- young, educated, middle class, urban. Of course, they're the people that westerners typically interact with and who speak to/ use western media, so you get massive confirmation bias of some sort of grassroots uprising bubbling away. That's a bit of a threat to Putin since those demographics are concentrated in important places like Moscow or St Pete's, but not much of one- when only 0.1% of a city turns out to protest.

Zhirinovsky?? 🤣

He's like the court jester of the Kremlin, I swear they found him one day spouting lunatic anti-western pro-Eurasian rants at flies on the corner of a Moscow street and they were all like, "Can we keep him"? 

I doubt Zhirinovsky himself actually believes half of what he says, but ranting is certainly a good way to get attention.

I do find it hilarious how often you get journalists and the like who theoretically should really know better talking about the 'opposition' as if it doesn't practically consist of a raving fascist and an ossified communist either of whom would be every bit as bad as Putin when it comes to western relations; which is what those people really care about instead of the average russian. After all, they cheered on that drunken idiot Yeltsin when he was busy running Russia straight into the ground with the largest drop in standards of living and life expectancy ever, along with literally sending the country bankrupt. Which, unsurprisingly, is a large part of the reason Navalny supporters are almost exclusively young, if you're 30+ years old there's a good chance you remember just how very awful things got under Yeltsin when implementing all those western backed policies and don't want to see them repeated. It's not even like Yeltsin was better when it came to human rights either.

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yeah perhaps you need a right wing strongman to show those Commies who's boss, correct?

I swear these self proclaimed "leftists" want their cake and want to eat it to.

I seriously got no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: China is not led by a communist regime, it's a totalitarian nationalist regime. Australia's PM is the Aussie version of Trump, but without the the military might to back his stupidity. So he's neither a right wing strongman nor a "leftist". His only skills were in marketing, i.e. he's good at lying and bull****ting and little else.

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Gorth said:

I seriously got no idea what you're talking about.

Edit: China is not led by a communist regime, it's a totalitarian nationalist regime. Australia's PM is the Aussie version of Trump, but without the the military might to back his stupidity. So he's neither a right wing strongman nor a "leftist". His only skills were in marketing, i.e. he's good at lying and bull****ting and little else.

Nooooooooo Gothfuscious dont do it......as Gromnir  sometimes says " dont go down this rabbit hole " 8)

I like Comrade but I also realized about 3 months ago that his core ideological views are not  consistent with the reality of those views

Its not a big deal but in a world where most people raise points and then can generally back them up with examples and historical precedent you may get frustrated with some of his comments as they will seem to be incongruous

Personally I think he says certain things just to get a reaction, from people like me , in a well meaning way so its not really trolling ;)

I am only mentioning this because some people dont enjoy debating with people who are being disingenuous, haven't done any research and make generalizations or false statements. But I dont have mind having ostensibly inane debates if I have time because sometimes you can still learn something new or get a different perspective that adds to overall understanding. Also truly pointless debates are rare on this forum, I often learn new things even if its something small for most members. 

I think the only person I learnt very little from on this forum was Oby ? I wonder what happened to him

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For that general diversion from world politics to light-hearted snark against government words versus actions in general...

EsWQWd3W4A4xxAN?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This supposed palace of Putin's does look pretty nice though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

13 minutes ago, Sarex said:

@GromnirInteresting that you weren't this active in posting videos when the yellow vest movement was going on in France, nor the protest going on in the US.

But those arent the same examples of how anyone should or could  respond because you generally post video's of things you find interesting and you feel would be interesting to the forum. But you never know 

For example I thought the yellow vest movement was abuse of the principles of protests and they adopted a violent way of trying to stop change or demand change ....they should have arrested more people in the beginning but I am not certain what the best response would have been ?

Protest in the USA? What protests in the USA  as their are protests all the the time. But the point being I consider the Moscow violence much more interesting than the other two examples at this moment .....so Gromnir in fact took a calculated guess what story is relevant and I agree :thumbsup:

John Milton 

25 minutes ago, Sarex said:

@GromnirInteresting that you weren't this active in posting videos when the yellow vest movement was going on in France, nor the protest going on in the US.

interesting how? state your concern. 

btw, we posted plenty o' videos from the summer protests in the US. the guy in buffalo, and christopher david is a couple examples. 

https://meduza.io/feature/2021/01/24/kak-prohodili-protestnye-aktsii-23-yanvarya-samye-pokazatelnye-video

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Huh? Grommie was super active on the US prostests.

It seems a bit anticlimactic, given most of the hardcore Russian nationalist have disappeared from this forum. 

The most prominent Russian nationalist wasn't even Russian. And Gromnir hasn't posted anything as offensively stupid as that claim that Russia would be bankrupt in 6 months which would provoke a reaction, yet.

There isn't really anything to say anyway. They're small protests with some violence, but way smaller than in Belarus recently or in 2012 Russia. Sometimes such things get bigger, but it seems extremely unlikely since Navalny is only significantly popular outside Russia, and it would require the Liberals or Commies to mobilise protesters which they'd only do if they thought their guy would replace Putin rather than Navalny.

Looks like China is testing the waters a bit more... will the US pull a "Syrian Kurds" on them or will they stand by Taiwan?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/23/taiwan-reports-large-incursion-by-chinese-air-force

"Taipei says Chinese combat aircraft, including nuclear-capable H-6K bombers and four J-16 fighter jets, entered its airspace."

Edit: I'm guessing the timing isn't coincidental.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

May I remind people that Russia and China may be right wing on social issues but they remain QUITE economic leftist.

It's one of those situations where if you feel REALLY strongly about a certain issue, you can't help but characterize them on whatever end of the spectrum you hate.

Myself, for instance, despise economic rightism that's prevalent in the western hemisphere and am moderate on social issues, so the economic situation takes precedent here.

Edited by ComradeMaster

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Looks like China is testing the waters a bit more... will the US pull a "Syrian Kurds" on them or will they stand by Taiwan?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/23/taiwan-reports-large-incursion-by-chinese-air-force

"Taipei says Chinese combat aircraft, including nuclear-capable H-6K bombers and four J-16 fighter jets, entered its airspace."

Edit: I'm guessing the timing isn't coincidental.

They didn't actually enter its airspace, they entered its Air Defence Identification Zone. ADIZ are wholly self declared and have literally no legal standing; and in Taiwan's case actually extends over mainland China (!). 99% of the time when you see an article complaining about intrusions or entering airspace it's ADIZ related, and not an actual intrusion. 95% of the remaining 1% it's around St Pete's since there's a lot of traffic to/ from the Kaliningrad exclave and the territorial waters there are a mess. You do get a lot of articles about non intrusions though, because it makes for great click bait and too few people know the difference between ADIZ and territorial waters/ skies.

(Not that Taiwan has nothing to fear from China, quite the reverse. But that article is basically propaganda level)

the transparent putin apologists has already outed themselves with predictable whataboutism, so...

but please remember that protesting is adult business. adult. the kids and sensitive folks should get parental approval before viewing the following: 

Spoiler

serious though, we post a couple russia protest twitter submissions and the folks with impulse control issues and transparent motives respond pretty much on schedule and according to type. 

HA! Good Fun!