Politics... US election edition

Gorth

Of course, the next thing we can expect is that Trump will still try to claim victory... After he has his name legally changed to Joe Biden...

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Of course, the next thing we can expect is that Trump will still try to claim victory... After he has his name legally changed to Joe Biden...

to be fair, this will be the first time since he were elected that the alternative facts approach failed trump. convincing his base that he actually won the election will not be enough to save trump. being a "counter-puncher" and fighting won't be enough to win an election even if trump is wrong. at the moment, trump is fighting math. 

am thinking next stage is blame others. sure, trump is current blaming democrats, but that is part o' the gaslighting effort. once all the lawsuits fail, trump will start blaming those in his more immediate orbit.

and then he is gonna burn everything. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Probably my favourite election celebration flag:

EmPiieOWMAENxOR?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

10 minutes ago, Agiel said:

Probably my favourite election celebration flag:

our only issue with the nato flag is it reminds us o' the bonnie blue flag.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

To whom? And why? 

It's a call to WHITE GENOCIDE

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Guys really, be a little empathic with Donald J. Trump here. He caught COVID-19, lost his job and is about to be evicted from his home... a tragic story if I ever heard one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm sure there's some low income housing in the suburbs that he can qualify for

When he said bad people would go to the suburbs if he lost, he was talking about himself.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I'm sure there's some low income housing in the suburbs that he can qualify for

we don't particular like trump, but there is some horrible landlords in maryland.

as an aside, and for historical perspective on this auspicious day...

charles curtis

HA! Good Fun!

Trump is the first president in over 150 years not to have any kind of pets (...animals that aren't humans, I mean, before anyone cracks any jokes) at the White House. There is apparently a widely held belief that Trump hates dogs (his frequent use of comparing people he doesn't like to them certainly does nothing to help dispel that), so at the very least, @Guard Dog should be happy to know that there will be canines in and at the White House once again, :p. Though I wonder...if Trump hated dogs, was it because dogs hated him? 🤔

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Apparently, Trump is the first president in over 150 years not to have any kind of pets

Not true, Eric Trump is actually three possums in a trench coat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Fox News host Tucker Carlson says Biden and Harris want Americans 'drinking Starbucks every day from now until forever' in a baseless monologue about uniformity

My dad was a Reagan conservative and even in his years of retirement it wasn't a day until he got his triple-shot espresso from the Starbucks a block away from his house.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

306*? The same amount Trump earned, coincidentally? I think he lost a couple from faithless electors, so it officially went down as 304, but he earned 306.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Biden is going to end up with 80 million votes and 303 EC votes. It may have been dramatic and all that, but it's a pretty convincing victory. 

hmmm.

295 or 306 appear likely for the ec.

georgia is trending up for biden and based on the kinda votes remaining, there is no reason to expect biden to lose more than 9k votes when is more likely he gains.

16 ec votes for georgia. 295 ec for biden if he wins georgia and pennsylvania and pennsylvania looks like a near forgone conclusion at this point. 

az however is a different matter. with ~100k votes remaining in az, trump is needing close a gap o' 18610 votes. for the remaining votes, trump needs average 56 or 57% as a few votes will necessarily go to a 3p candidate so is not as if when trump gets 56 then biden gets 44. this am, near 50k votes were announced by maricopa and the breakdown were 56.3% trump and 40.7% biden.

maricopa should announce the results o' 'bout 38k votes tomorrow morning at 11am... or such would be what we would guess if tomorrow were not sunday. am not sure if their schedule is getting changed for sunday. 

if we were to bet $20 right now on who wins az, we would drop $20 for trump. 

if biden wins arizona pennsylvania and georgia, that gets him to 306.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

as an aside, if not for the fact pennsylvania makes all this moot, people would be going absolute crazy over what is happening in arizona. am thinking both ap and fox called az for biden and as we noted earlier in the thread, based on current numbers, we would bet trump wins.

given how close is the numbers, is probable  none o' us knows who won az 'til tuesday as a few election day ballots need be cured with a deadline o' tuesday. 12k votes?

also, in case anybody is wondering, we did double check and the biggest remaining vote drop for az will indeed be tomorrow, but it will be at 3pm pacific. am assuming maricopa announces near 38k votes tomorrow afternoon.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is likely a majority o' the 12k is not cured and won't count, but...

Edited by Gromnir

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Trump is the first president in over 150 years not to have any kind of pets (...animals that aren't humans, I mean, before anyone cracks any jokes) at the White House. There is apparently a widely held belief that Trump hates dogs (his frequent use of comparing people he doesn't like to them certainly does nothing to help dispel that), so at the very least, @Guard Dog should be happy to know that there will be canines in and at the White House once again, :p. Though I wonder...if Trump hated dogs, was it because dogs hated him? 🤔

His cabinet members were his pets.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

13 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

In 20 years, we will look back at this as the greatest turnout in election history. That is the type of stuff that makes it into the history books, not the bickering and ridiculous claims.

Some of you really need to chill on the whole doom and gloom. This is an great time to be alive. We are witnessing an amazing election, and thanks to our modern world we are all going to get a deep dive into the inner workings of all sorts of different voting districts across the country. We are in the midst of a global pandemic, and yet we've managed to have surprising stability across the economy and the government. Do you really think any of the stuff currently going on is WORSE than what happened in the 20th century? Do you really think this compares to the Great Depression, the Spanish Flu, and 2 World Wars? Let's get some perspective, people.  

None of those events threatened our democracy with a populist autocrat, so you'll excuse me if I view it with a somewhat different perspective.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."