Politics... US election edition

Gorth

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

The US is not divided in left and right, but in the have and have nots. Eventually the inequality in society will tear the fabric of society apart. Rinse and repeat a 5000 year old cyclic tradition. It's will get worse and worse as time goes by. Will the collapse happen in my lifetime? Maybe even, who knows/

There also seems to be a fairly big split in the whole "liberal city dwellers" and the "conservative rural folk"...

Or at least, small town Americana vs big city suburbia types.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

49 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

They control the senate and got over 65 million votes, so I think they will be alright.

Votes by young people (18-29, who made 17% of total votes with 53% participation) predict some problems for republicans in future

youth_vote_choice_map___Nov_6.png

• Like 1

Whelp, looks like I was wrong and Trump will be gone in a few months. Biden is better than Trump if only because he won't try to accelerate the climate collapse, but he's far from good and I hope his victory doesn't neutralize organizing for labor, environmental sustainability, and liberation. We will probably never go back to pre-Trump and the cult of brain dead dipsticks he's generated are the future of right-wing politics so that will be fun. 

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

15 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

We will probably never go back to pre-Trump and the cult of brain dead dipsticks he's generated are the future of right-wing politics so that will be fun. 

Oh trust me, they were already there before Trump, they just needed him to swoop in and give them political oomph.

Things will more or less go on the same as before the next four years: protests, riots, red meat vs. blue cheese, pandemic, but game and hardware development shall continue so I now is a perfect time to just kick back, turn off the news, and try to not think about what kind of storm 2024 could potentially bring.

I just need this country to not completely self-destruct for a few more years, long enough to get my secluded house in the mountains, my pistol, my rifle, and my shotgun (note to self: stock generous amounts of ammo). After that, apocalypse away, folks.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

Votes by young people (18-29, who made 17% of total votes with 53% participation) predict some problems for republicans in future

youth_vote_choice_map___Nov_6.png

Why? Do you have a way to stop them from ageing?
Aside from the obvious one I mean.

They are likely more concerned about Texas.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

It may compare, heck it may even be worse, but our advances in hygiene and medicine over the last century have certainly limited the damage. It is also hard to imagine we will go for years without a decent vaccine.

Actually covid is not the worst possibility. Maybe if people took it serious and followed the recommendations it wouldn't look as bad. Look at places like Taiwan for example.

But some think there is a worse pandemic coming this century.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200602/Could-the-next-pandemic-be-100-times-worse-than-COVID-19.aspx

sign.jpg

3 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

Why? Do you have a way to stop them from ageing?
Aside from the obvious one I mean.

They are likely more concerned about Texas.

In political environment where people vote party over policies, fifth of the voting population heavily favors opposite party and said fifth will continue to vote for next 60-70 years. So it looks like quite advantage for democrats in at least couple next elections until they again piss of their voters

5 minutes ago, Elerond said:

In political environment where people vote party over policies, fifth of the voting population heavily favors opposite party and said fifth will continue to vote for next 60-70 years. So it looks like quite advantage for democrats in at least couple next elections until they again piss of their voters

3rd Party.  Pronto.

2 hours ago, Elerond said:

your observation is so 1960... 'cause democrats said the same thing after the kennedy election... and after obama. heck, the whole young republican movement started during the reagan years and then fizzled. young voters did indeed make the biggest difference for biden, 'cause while overall, latino voters stayed same as 2016 margins, and the black vote actual decreased for biden compared to 2016, young people voted this time.

and perhaps sadly, as kids get older, they almost invariably become more conservative. won't be able to depend on the kids being so idealistic in a few years when the got mortgages o' their own and is no longer renting. 

an increased youth vote could be a trend, if stuff such as automatic vote registration (the thing which am suspecting made the biggest difference in georgia) continues and perhaps 'cause o' the new digital advertising focus. the biden campaign, in spite o' alternate reality/narrative from a few pro trumpers, were pretty barebones. kitchen sink thrown at trump? HA! the limited biden campaign were in part a reasonable reaction to covid, but depended on digital. lack o' boots on the ground possible explains why while biden maintained the overall 2016 latino margin, he got slobberknockered in the battleground counties o' florida and texas. 

Biden’s campaign is ‘suppressing the Hispanic vote’ in Florida, an internal letter claims

credit goes to @Volourn for sharing the article we link... though o'course vol never read past the title. article shows just how poor managed and over distanced were the biden campaign in florida. the democrats did plenty o' tv and online ads w/o living people from target communities doing the more traditional campaign work

covid and young voters decided the Presidential election, and covid ended being less important than most reasonable persons assumed it would be. 

and as we has noted previous, democrats need find a way to establish a connection with working class americans, which is gonna be tough 'cause those folks is religious zealots who follow the tenets o' trumpism as 'posed to a political party. trump said it were ok to be afraid o' blm and muslims. trump promised ez solutions to hard problems and then used deficit spending to svengali his way to convincing people that the economy were doing fantastic. trump made people who were afraid o' covid believe it were nothing one need fear. how is it even possible to get those folks to abandon their Faith?

regardless, unless something dramatic occurs between today and december when electoral college convenes, "individual 1," is gonna be looking at a very busy next few years. am thinking many trumpers forget just how many criminal cases is on hold for no other reason than that trump is the President. even ignoring all the potential federal charges, is multiple state cases with prosecutors just waiting for the day when trump can no longer use the doj and excuses o' the Presidency to avoid sitting for interviews. am knowing people forget quick, but cohen went to prison 'cause o' payments he made on behalf o' "individual 1." 

most important result o' the election is no more william barr. that alone makes the results worth every effort.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

most important result o' the election is no more william barr. that alone makes the results worth every effort.

**** Donald J. Trump, **** Melania Trump, **** Donald Trump Jr., **** Eric Trump, **** Jared Kushner, **** Ivanka Trump, **** Mike Pence, **** William Barr, **** Louis DeJoy, **** Betsy Devos, **** Rudy Giuliani, **** Mike Pompeo, **** KellyAnne Conway, **** Steven Mnuchin, **** Stephen Miller, **** Mike Meadows, **** Andrew Wheeler, **** Gina Haspel, **** Kayleigh McEnany, **** Wilbur Ross, and every other piece of ****, past and present, from this corrupt, incompetent, racist, sexist, fascist, or otherwise generically horrid basket of deplorables of an administration. Place yourselves directly into your nearest dumpster and go straight to hell.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

50 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

and perhaps sadly, as kids get older, they almost invariably become more conservative. 

What baby boomers did -as a generation- doesn't apply to all generations.  Gen-Xers appear to be more moderate in adulthood whilst millenialls are split between very progressive and very conservative.

Also:

EmPwdu_VMAIETwX.jpg:large?width=189&heigEmPwdu_VMAIETwX.jpg:large

Congratulations Democrats you got **** Cheney on your side xD

Edited by ComradeMaster
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

What baby boomers did -as a generation- doesn't apply to all generations.  Gen-Xers appear to be more moderate in adulthood whilst millenialls are split between very progressive and very conservative.

you may not realize, but gen xers are following the trend, and when you average out the millenials, you get more overall conservative than when they were younger. sure, america as a whole has become more polarized so expecting millenials to avoid such polarization would be unreasonable, but the overall trend is toward conservative. 

don't depend on a continued vital youth vote and assume they is gonna get more conservative. no real change since 1960. 

speaking o' not changing...

songs from the 80s which work same today although they is 35-40 years removed from release. songs is older than most o' you posting.

trump is the first President who genuine spoke to the working class americans in more than a generation but he channeled their fear and offered them fool's gold for their devotion. in spite of the situation becoming demonstrably worse for farmers and the rest o' working class americans under the trump regime, they worship him.  is not what trump does, but what he says which is the source o' his appeal. bass ackwards. 

the nation is gonna continue to be divided as long as each party focuses on distilling their current constituencies. am conceding that as long as trump were in office, trying to reach working class americans were a doomed proposition-- waste of treasure and labor. that said, trump is gonna be busy trying to stay out o' prison these next few years, so am hopeful democrats make a serious effort to embrace those working class americans who is salvageable, 'cause is ez to ignore, but many such persons voted for obama and felt betrayed when their lot got worse during those eight years.

the current degree o' polarization makes us wonder how much improvement is possible, but democrats need make dramatic changes quick or 2022 and 2024 is gonna be ugly.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the cheney observation is so clear missing the obvious point o' why democrats chose biden. a moderate democrat who could work with more moderate republicans were the goal. duh. am suspecting @ComradeMaster didn't pay attention to the last months o' the election. trump and fox news kept pretending as if bernie sanders were the 2020 democrat candidate. democrats chose biden in part 'cause he were somebody traditional republicans would have difficulty condemning

so... duh.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Nah, democrats will be busy with trying to appease all the raging mobs, which they first pushed for. Now there will be no Trump to "rally against". What will media do? What will happen, once more business will offshore more work, funnilly enough, the next on the cutting stand are banking, journalism and tech jobs. Some will be cut, others automated or offshored. 

am thinking with a President who does not appear to wanna concede, a global pandemic and widespread economic turmoil, the media will be able to find a few stories 'pon which to report. recall that no new stimulus were agreed 'pon by Congress before the election and fed money is running out and eviction moratoriums is ending. 

20 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Hopefully everybody. 

for +1/3 o' america, your observation will not be universal embraced as a sign o' hope. should be universal applause that what woulda' been deemed impossible 40 years past has come to pass. we are making progress.

however, some will see as a thin veiled accusation o' white privilege. some will indeed see more as a condemnation o' +200 years o' US racism and oppression. polarized. your shared image will be an opportunity to dislike them more.

biden has a tough job ahead o' him.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2