Politics... US election edition

Gorth

Old thread

Trying to split the subjects a bit. Lets see if we can keep US election stuff in this one

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The office tends to prematurely age its inhabitants. To the question raised earlier, my money is that he doesn't survive his first term, let alone run for a second.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

According to Faux News, Biden needs to win Nevada to reach 270. Because they are who they are, I wouldn't trust anything they write (other than possibly sports results), but interesting none the less if even the staunchest of Trump supporting media sees it as being close to the end.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Georgia is like watching two 6 year old, arthritic, two legged horses racing at the moment.

Also, thousands of votes to be added to Georgia's count.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/more-ballots-arriving-in-georgia-from-overseas-and-provisional-voters/2IKU3WM5XZD7FDQE5DAOKYXTMY/

Given how Trump feels about the military and a pre-poll (take with a grain of salt), who knows how this will turn out.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/08/31/as-trumps-popularity-slips-in-latest-military-times-poll-more-troops-say-theyll-vote-for-biden/

8 minutes ago, Achilles said:

The office tends to prematurely age its inhabitants. To the question raised earlier, my money is that he doesn't survive his first term, let alone run for a second.

Yeah...even if he survives the first term, I don't envision him running for a 2nd.  He'd have served his purpose ... getting MrToupee out of office. 
Next Pres. election will also be ... interesting, I think.  Maybe the next several. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

US Presidential elections are going to be really fun to watch when AOC is old enough to run 😇

37 minutes ago, Gorth said:

According to Faux News, Biden needs to win Nevada to reach 270. Because they are who they are, I wouldn't trust anything they write (other than possibly sports results), but interesting none the less if even the staunchest of Trump supporting media sees it as being close to the end.

Fox News' internal polling and projection models are among the best in the business - everything else, not so much. I think their projection of Arizona probably stays correct, but it was premature.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 minute ago, InsaneCommander said:

What would happen if Trump and Biden got the same number of votes in a state?

They play Street Fighter 2 to determine the winner.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I have to imagine that's determined at the state level. So Alaska might handle it differently than Florida.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Better than being required to have odd citizens.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

I dont think that is possible, interesting question though?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

I have to imagine that's determined at the state level. So Alaska might handle it differently than Florida.

alaska, florida and 26 other states resolve state elections involving multiple counties voting for same office by lot... we kid you not.

state-by-state.

our recollection is that new jersey is the only state with no provision for ties.

HA! Good Fun!

ps keep in mind the tie scenario counts as a state thing 'cause the state is actual choosing electoral college delegates who then vote for the President.

pps am honest not recollecting what is the method georgia utilizes, but arizona uses lots. we mention 'cause those two states appear most likely to face a tie situation even if the odds is astronomical unlikely. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Fox News' internal polling and projection models are among the best in the business - everything else, not so much. I think their projection of Arizona probably stays correct, but it was premature.

I read somewhere (maybe NYT) that a few counties in Arizona such as Maricopa (Phoenix), Pima (Tucson), Coconino and another favoured democrats and judging by the counting at the time, Fox and AP called it early with their projections.

I’m going to be an expert on Georgia, Arizona, Pennsylvania, and Nevada electoral maps after this. Have to admit a lot of us now understand the US system whereas before we didn't really give a hoot.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

Have to admit a lot of us now understand the US system whereas before we didn't really give a hoot.

See you in two years for the mid-terms :)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

Better than being required to have odd citizens.

I see you've heard of Florida! :lol:

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My favorite cartoon from a few years ago. Still relevant today!

38848swhidbeywebtoon-2016.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Biden officially takes the lead in Georgia (+1000 or thereabouts right now, likely to grow at least a little).

Donald Trump...

TrumpYoureFired.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah so Georgia at the moment is leaning Democrat, first time in 64 years

Very exciting political race 8)8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yeah so Georgia at the moment is leaning Democrat, first time in 64 years

Very exciting political race 8)8)

You mean very exciting sham. If Trump loses then only because Democrats commited massive fraud with mail-in voting! ;)

• Haha 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.