I am having a hard time stealing the high end stuff, and I seem to be unable to escape the AI's vision range. Also, I vaguely recall you can send your main character to talk to whoever is watching the area, and the latter would turn and face you. This no longer seems to happen? Have things changed? Or am I just rusty?

Edit: It could be that I am trying to steal things too early. For instance, I am trying to steal the Devil's armor, and my thief is only level 7 and Stealth 7/Sleight of Hand 4?

Edited by Lampros

Stealth 7 is not bad. Particularly if you can buff it with items (Night market religion amulet, Stealth boots, Obsidian Wurm pet).

But what you actually need is high Mechanics (Party synergy bonuses are important for early success and can buff with Thief's Putty and there are also those Mechanics gloves). Not sure, but maybe the checks are higher then on game launch? It seemed that way to me.

Most merchants will let you pick the locks on their chests as long as you don't take their contents. So unlock and only then try to divert attention with another character. Sparkcrackers are good for that. Your stealth guy should then move into stealing position under stealth. 

In some cases the Bounding Boots with Leap can be used. Using them will alert NPCs, but if you pause the game just as you land next to the chest, you might be able to grab its content before they "wake up" to your presence.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Haplok said:

Stealth 7 is not bad. Particularly if you can buff it with items (Night market religion amulet, Stealth boots, Obsidian Wurm pet).

But what you actually need is high Mechanics (Party synergy bonuses are important for early success and can buff with Thief's Putty and there are also those Mechanics gloves). Not sure, but maybe the checks are higher then on game launch? It seemed that way to me.

Most merchants will let you pick the locks on their chests as long as you don't take their contents. So unlock and only then try to divert attention with another character. Sparkcrackers are good for that. Your stealth guy should then move into stealing position under stealth. 

In some cases the Bounding Boots with Leap can be used. Using them will alert NPCs, but if you pause the game just as you land next to the chest, you might be able to grab its content before they "wake up" to your presence.

My Mechanics guy is quite high. 14 on himself at level 9 now (this is including +2 gloves and the +1 inn rest). With hefty party assist, he can open pretty much anything. The issue is more that I cannot divert guards. But I will try the sparkcrackers trick then. Unfortunately, I think I sold them all - thinking they are useless! ;)

Try to have one guy in full stealth mode, and ready to move in. Use another party member to throw the sparkcracker. IF you time it right, you can move in and steal the item while the others are away. Try to do this at night, for example, since NPCs may be sleeping, in different locations, or there are less of them. Also, if the NPCs' backs are turned, their stealth detection ability is much lower. 

Edited by mjo2138
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mjo2138 said:

Try to have one guy in full stealth mode, and ready to move in. Use another party member to throw the sparkcracker. IF you time it right, you can move in and steal the item while the others are away. Try to do this at night, for example, since NPCs may be sleeping, in different locations, or there are less of them. Also, if the NPCs' backs are turned, their stealth detection ability is much lower. 

I succeeded after 5-6 tries to steal the Devil armor. Even with all these shenanigans, it's no gimme :(

1 minute ago, Lampros said:

I succeeded after 5-6 tries to steal the Devil armor. Even with all these shenanigans, it's no gimme :(

Yes!  it is not easy. The more you practice it, is will get easier. I think the stealing that armor piece is the hardest spot to do it, due to the guard who is there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Haplok said:

Just pause right when the target circle appears and then abandon the cast of Leap (hit X button). You'll not alert anybody (no noise and no hit rolls) but will land with the usual animation while the game is paused, fully stealthed. Now you can loot everything with 0 points in stealth. The use of Leap is not consumed - you can use it as often as you want. It's obviously hard to time the pause right, so I simply pause before casting Leap, then frantically unpause/pause until I see the circle at the target. A bit hectic but you don't need to do it often.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

38 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Just pause right when the target circle appears and then abandon the cast of Leap (hit X button). You not alert anybody (no noise and no hit rolls) but will land at the spot with the usual animation while the game is paused, fully stealthed and you can loot everything with 0 points in stealth. The use of Leap is not consumed you you can use it as ofen as you want. It's obviously hard to time the pause right, so I smply pause before casting Leap ,d then frantically unpause/pause until I see the circle at the target. A bit hectic but you don't need to do it often.

Patinated Plate and the sabre acquired now! ;)

• Like 3

So I am at level 10, and I've so far stolen in terms of end-game gear:

Grave Calling, Karaboru, the Red Hand, Scordeo's Trophy, Patinated Plate, Devil of Caroc Breastplate, Iridescent Scale, Magran's Blessing, Outworn Buckler, Tuitilo's Palm, and perhaps a few others I've forgotten.

I stole most of these before I hit level 8, and they've obviously made the early-mid game so much easier. Thanks, guys!