Politics 20/20 now with extra hindsight!

Gorth

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/04/covid-candidate-north-dakota-election/

David Andahl died of covid-19 in early October, just as the coronavirus was pummeling his home state of North Dakota. But that did not keep the 55-year-old rancher from winning his race for the state House of Representatives on Tuesday.

With an apparent victory in North Dakota’s 8th District, Andahl’s election marks an unusual overlap between two of the most consequential events in the United States this year: a pandemic that has killed at least 232,000 people in the United States and the unprecedented election season it upended in the process.

In-person political conventions over the summer were all but scrapped. Get-out-the-vote efforts went remote, too, and many voters opted to submit mail-in ballots instead of waiting at the polls. Yet with results trickling in around the country into Wednesday morning, few of the virus’s political consequences seem as tangible — or as shocking — as Andahl’s posthumous win.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've never used it as a consideration in the past, but at the moment I feel as tho the Pres-race county maps are a good way to decide where I do NOT want to retire to. :p

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Michigan officially called for Biden. Expected to hold on to Nevada and Arizona based on where the remaining votes are, Georgia and Pennsylvania are still toss-ups with expected narrow Biden victories. However, Michigan being called for Biden means he officially just needs Nevada and Arizona, as that makes a perfect 270. Winning one or both of the others would surely help ensure a more peaceful transition, though.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Biden is ahead by 2.2% and 3 million votes, which is around the same as last time. In addition to the larger voter turnout, it seems that the parties outside the big 2 lost all momentum they picked up in 2016 and then some. They will probably end up being further marginalized in the next cycles.

I still think Trump will end up winning the electoral vote through Nevada, but have nothing to support it besides gut instinct. Hopefully I'm wrong tho. Regardless, it seems Trump has deeper support from Republicans than he did in 2016 and the next candidate will be Trump 2.0 because the strategy works at winning primaries and the Republican base, NeverTrumpers can kiss the party goodbye. Some Democrats are already trying to triangulate to the right in accordance with galaxy brain centrism, so unfortunately CHAOSBIDEN is probably off the table and we'll get ambitious plans that have thousand word qualifiers like forgiveness for student loans if they're gnomes running a vegetable business in less affluent communities for at least three years.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future!

Unfortunately they haven't left the world behind tho.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Seems like the expectation is that Biden's final margin will be a bit more than the current ~3.5 million, though I'm not sure by how much more. Strongly doubt Trump wins Nevada, but we'll have a better idea tonight when they release a batch of the remaining votes (with the final tally supposed to come tomorrow). The expectation is that the overall race will be officially projected tonight after Nevada and Arizona get more of their last batches in, unless the numbers are unusually good for Trump (which nobody of any import seems to be expecting them to be), rendering PA and GA moot except for making sure faithless electors can't toss the race.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

22 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

In addition to the larger voter turnout, it seems that the parties outside the big 2 lost all momentum they picked up in 2016 and then some. They will probably end up being further marginalized in the next cycles.

I had high hopes for the ranked-choice ballot measure in Massachusetts, but looks like they aren't ready for that yet.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Yeah, what the hell was that? Why would anyone vote against that? Wanted to look into why that happened.

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Seems like the expectation is that Biden's final margin will be a bit more than the current ~3.5 million, though I'm not sure by how much more. Strongly doubt Trump wins Nevada, but we'll have a better idea tonight when they release a batch of the remaining votes (with the final tally supposed to come tomorrow). The expectation is that the overall race will be officially projected tonight after Nevada and Arizona get more of their last batches in, unless the numbers are unusually good for Trump (which nobody of any import seems to be expecting them to be), rendering PA and GA moot except for making sure faithless electors can't toss the race.

There's no data to support it, but I just have a feeling that the remaining 25% in Nevada will skew Trump and edge out Biden's 8k lead. I would love to be wrong, but sometimes you roll a 1 on a d100 and this is 2020.

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, what the hell was that? Why would anyone vote against that? Wanted to look into why that happened.

Florida voted for a $15 minimum wage, California voted against protections for gig workers, and one state decriminalized drugs. I have no idea why some folks vote the way they do, Americans are just ****ing neurotic.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

California alone will increase that margin still with couple million as only 66% of votes are counted there and Biden is getting over 65% of the votes and currently they have counted ~ 11.5 million votes. New York and Washington will probably increase margin with another million votes.

Apparently Biden has received the highest vote count ever for a US Presidential candidate, and the vote count isn't even complete yet. This election sure motivated a lot of people to get out and vote. Good to see.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 minutes ago, Elerond said:

California alone will increase that margin still with couple million as only 66% of votes are counted there and Biden is getting over 65% of the votes and currently they have counted ~ 11.5 million votes. New York and Washington will probably increase margin with another million votes.

That's cool, but won't change the outcome. The electoral college votes for the states you referenced are all allocated for Biden already.

Edited by Achilles
grammar

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

4 minutes ago, Achilles said:

That's cool, but won't change the outcome. The electoral college votes for the states you referenced all allocated for Biden already.

It is cooler when you think that it may fit in top 10 popular vote wins in US history and Biden can still lose the election

Trump has to run the table to win. While that isn't impossible, I wouldn't bet on it with my money.

28 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Apparently Biden has received the highest vote count ever for a US Presidential candidate, and the vote count isn't even complete yet. This election sure motivated a lot of people to get out and vote. Good to see.

Yeah, the idea of a "blue wave" was mocked earlier in the thread given how close it is, but the reality is that it really was a huge blue wave - it's just that there was also a pretty large red wave to counteract it, and Republicans have had the electoral vote advantage (relative to popular vote) for some time now. Biden winning by 5% will probably be like a 300 electoral vote victory - Trump winning by 5% would probably be closer to 400. Usually same kind of crap in the House, and it's literally many times worse in the Senate.

20 minutes ago, Achilles said:

Trump has to run the table to win. While that isn't impossible, I wouldn't bet on it with my money.

Yeah, I'm giving Biden about a 95% chance here, between Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Georgia as all being very realistic options to ice the race. It's not one hundred percent certain, but it's approaching. (e): Speaking of, the New York Times head election analyst (who was also spot on for Wisconsin and Michigan early on) now projects that Biden will win Pennsylvania by just about 2 points. Also considers both Nevada and Arizona very likely in Biden's column, and Georgia very narrowly leaning Biden. If Biden got all of them, he'd get 306 electoral votes...just two more than Trump got 4 years ago. That would be deliciously petty - only 305 would be better, :biggrin:.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

If Biden does win, CA will be the largest EC contributor to Trump's downfall, and they voted 65% for Biden. Payback is a b*tch baby.

Edited by rjshae
Clarify wording
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I can't help but feel a little sad over this.  Not that I love Trump or anything (he's a spoiled rich **** and many of his supporters are the scum of the earth) but I can't see anything good coming from Biden either.  What do working people gain from this?  It just seems like we're going back to Obama's era of do-nothingness but with a friendly smile.  Meanwhile, the imperial cogwheels roll on, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.  FDR would roll over in his grave.  Literally the only President who really cared about the poor and the party that was his wants nothing to do with him anymore.  They're more like Ronald Reagan now, which is despicable.

Colorado approves (on referendum) the electoral college-nullifying National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. They were already a part of it, but this confirms that it's here to stay. It is unlikely this compact will take effect by 2024, but 2028, perhaps 2032 are certainly realistic possibilities. Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Virginia (all fairly reliably blue states, though subject to needing full Democrat control within a single election cycle) joining would take it up to 253 of the 270 required. At that point, one other state like Georgia, North Carolina, or Pennsylvania, or also Arizona + Nevada would end the electoral college, albeit pending court challenge.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

It just seems like we're going back to Obama's era of do-nothingness but with a friendly smile.

You shouldn't believe everything your parents tell you

https://www.good.is/articles/obamas-achievements-in-office

Here comes the lawsuits and the lawyers. I won! No I won! They are stealing the election! No they’re stealing the election! There’s no dignity in this. In 1960 they were voting irregularities in Chicago. Richard Nixon chose not to make a big deal about it. Didn’t want to put the country through the stress that would follow. It took 60 years but suddenly Nixon looks like a good guy again.

This whole notion of everyone fighting like freaking savages to have control over their fellow humans reminds me of why I live alone in the woods with a dog

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

23 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Here comes the lawsuits and the lawyers. I won! No I won! They are stealing the election! No they’re stealing the election! There’s no dignity in this. In 1960 they were voting irregularities in Chicago. Richard Nixon chose not to make a big deal about it. Didn’t want to put the country through the stress that would follow. It took 60 years but suddenly Nixon looks like a good guy again.

This whole notion of everyone fighting like freaking savages to have control over their fellow humans reminds me of why I live alone in the woods with a dog

Nixon looked like the good guy when Al Gore did this, too.

• Like 1