Politics 20/20 now with extra hindsight!

Gorth

57 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Whatever happens today, no one should feel any stress over it. No outcome of this election will appreciably change this country. The ship of state will continue to tack pretty near the center of the channel. The reason is it take a long time to change the direction of the country and our electoral system is almost designed so no one political party gets to hold the tiller for long. 

As it stands there are five possible outcomes. 

• Biden wins, Dems hold the House, Republicans hold the Senate. This will keep things pretty much status quo. Probably the best possible outcome.
  • Biden Wins Dems hold the House AND Senate. This will be the least desirable outcome. They will almost certainly overplay their hand and Congress will change hands in 2022. But a lot of damage can be done in two years of near absolute power. 
  • Biden wins, Republicans hold both House and Senate. Seems really, really unlikely. But this would be ok.
  •  Trump wins, Dems hold the House, Republicans hold the Senate. This will be two more years of what we've had in the last two years. Heated rhetoric, twitter wars, nothing changes. This is an acceptable if not great outcome.
  •  Trump wins, Dems hold both House Senate. This would be the most interesting outcome. If they choose to impeach his he will likely get removed. Hard to even predict how this goes down. 
  • Trump wins, Republicans hold both House & Senate. Yeah... this is not going to happen. Thank God.  

What happened to option 7?

Regardless of the outcome, so much intimidation of voters and dismissal of mail votes takes place that the whole thing becomes contested and Trump refuses to step down? Cue riots like you've never seen before and various local guard units starts to take sides. Whole thing gets messy until some clever general decides to restore order... forcefully?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

12 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Regardless of the outcome, so much intimidation of voters and dismissal of mail votes takes place that the whole thing becomes contested and Trump refuses to step down? Cue riots like you've never seen before and various local guard units starts to take sides. Whole thing gets messy until some clever general decides to restore order... forcefully?

12 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I guess we’ll just pop some popcorn and watch it all burn down

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's interesting how so many people living outside the US take such keen interest in American politics. I couldn't tell you who the prime minister of Great Britain or France is, just as an example, nor do I care.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

It's interesting how so many people living outside the US take such keen interest in American politics. I couldn't tell you who the prime minister of Great Britain or France is, just as an example, nor do I care.

Because American politics is extremely important for the rest of the world, and for other countries economies. American politics is world politics.

(It's also great entertainment).

Edit: You seriously don't know who Boris is?

Edited by Maedhros

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Ignorance is cool!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Come on, everyone knows Boris

wX6Cqz.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

Strange that Indiana and Kentucky close their polls at 6 pm, seems too early.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

54 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Putting it in Civilization context, it is because USA is constantly culture bombing other countries.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Come on, everyone knows Boris

wX6Cqz.gif

I wish I didn't.

• Haha 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

How many times will this question be asked? And how anyone with at least basic education and grasp of reality can even ask this question?

166215__front.jpg

4 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

How many times will this question be asked? And how anyone with at least basic education and grasp of reality can even ask this question?

Someone with at least basic education would notice that it was a statement rather than a question.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Someone with at least basic education would notice that it was a statement rather than a question.

Not if they didn't have a grasp of reality.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, KaineParker said:

Not if they didn't have a grasp of reality.

Such are cultists.

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I will admit that gif of what I assume to be "Boris" has piqued my interest.

giphy.gif

The zipline incident was almost certainly deliberate. He may go out of his way to appear goofy to appeal to the common  man, but Alexander Boris de Feffel Johnson (yes, really) is actually so competitive he'll steamroll Japanese children to win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-deutsche-bank-exclusive-idUSKBN27J0G0?

Deutsche Bank AG is looking for ways to end its relationship with President Donald Trump after the U.S. elections, as it tires of the negative publicity stemming from the ties, according to three senior bank officials with direct knowledge of the matter.

In meetings in recent months, a Deutsche Bank management committee that oversees reputational and other risks for the lender in the Americas region has discussed ways in which it could rid the bank of these last vestiges of the relationship, two of the three bank officials said. The bank has over the years lent Trump more than $2 billion, one of the officials said.

While it was known that Deutsche Bank has been closely examining its relationship with Trump, including by setting up a working group in 2016 to review the bank’s relationship with him, its recent eagerness to end all ties and the contours of discussions in light of the election have not been previously reported.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Well, I can speak for Brazil. With a president similar to Donald Trump (right wing, "crazy", speaks dumb things all the time) people here seem to think that what happens in the US will reflect in Brazil in 2022, for whatever reason.

People literally say that if Trump is reelected than so will Bolsonaro, causing the "end of democracy" for some and "saving the world" for others. If Trump loses, than Bolsonaro will too in 2022 and "America will become communist and Brazil will turn into another Venezuela" or "democracy wins" depending on who you ask...

Personally, to be honest, I'm just waiting for the memes and seeing the losing side been mocked. Now let me get some popcorn.

sign.jpg

20 minutes ago, Raithe said:

While it was known that Deutsche Bank has been closely examining its relationship with Trump, including by setting up a working group in 2016 to review the bank’s relationship with him, its recent eagerness to end all ties and the contours of discussions in light of the election have not been previously reported.

The speed at which bank management moves is always impressive to me.

5 hours ago, Elerond said:

Putting it in Civilization context, it is because USA is constantly culture bombing other countries.

Just one more turn... *Darn! Gandhi nuked me in the year 2021*

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***