signs and cave lighting.

Just a few pet peeves and suggestions.

When I heard signs were added in 0.3, I had assumed that they would allow for labeling. Unfortunately, it seems that the signs are instead merely posters and pictures. As someone who likes to organize their items by type (plants, minerals, body parts, crafted resources, tools, weapons, armor, etc.), the ability to label these places would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps sprig and clover leaf signs you write on with sap?

I like to explore caves and tunnels, but something I find strange about them is that entering them spontaneously lowers the brightness settings. Now, looking it up it seems like you are doing this to circumvent an issue with UE4's skylight system. That's all well and good, but perhaps you can alter the level design to make the transition less jarring. Or perhaps look into implementing a solution similar to the one this man used for his lighting? Or one of the other suggestions provided by him?

Edited by Gearhart
  • Like 1

As far as the cave lighting goes I would like to at least be able to build the "slime mold sconce" any where in a cave I choose to put one. Seeing as how thats where they grow anyway I figured you already could, but im finding out thats just not the case.

not being able to build in caves probably has to do with a collision issue with people glitching into inaccessible areas. Some caves have labs or what not above them so this might be the motivation behind it. This is purely speculation though.

The thing about digging underground is that its really hard to implement, since the game isnt a voxel based game. Everything in the game world you see is hollow and dimensionally one sided and hand crafted, not randomly generated. I dont see how digging underground could be implemented into this game, I imagine a colossal reworking of the code would be needed, but then again I'm no game developer.

I agree on the cave lightning though, cool that you even had a solution to propose!😄

On 10/30/2020 at 1:07 PM, AV1AT0R said:

not being able to build in caves probably has to do with a collision issue with people glitching into inaccessible areas. Some caves have labs or what not above them so this might be the motivation behind it. This is purely speculation though.

I was able to build inside the hedge lab just fine until the September update. And you can build inside of soda cans provided there is dirt in them, so collisions aren't an issue here.

I meant some caves are below unfinished areas it may only be a temporary thing in certain areas because the game is unfinished in specific areas of the map. Again purely speculation.