Jump to content

General movie thread!!!!


Recommended Posts

Heh, I always remember someones anecdote, where he described watching Braveheart with a friend who happened to be a historian specialising in Scottish History.

The phrasing he used was "The film was an adventure. But sitting next to a guy who basically had one hand on all the history books and his increasingly indignant commentary was so much more of an adventure."

  • Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just liked that there was no bridge present in the Battle of Stirling Bridge.

  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've grown to like watching videos like these when I have nothing better to do ... which is most of the time. 

 

I watched this a few days ago. The Winterfell part was no surprise of course, even considering what Zoraptor said.

Btw, I always ask why they have no ditches. I'm not sure where I saw it first, but since I was a child I imagine castles as having a ditch and a wall, with a lowering bridge.

sign.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all castles have a ditch or a moat, or are on top of a promontory/ hill. It's just about the most basic- and earliest- defensive measure there is; indeed one of the best ways to find sizeable early human settlements is to look for the ditches/ ramparts that were often built around them. Once you're getting to the level of city walls it becomes a bit more difficult due to scale*, but for forts and castles it would have been unusual not to have one.

*kind of, Hadrian's Wall had 2 ditches and 2 ramparts (excluding the wall itself) for much of its ~120km length, but then it was also garrisoned by a lot of legionnaires who needed to be kept busy and would be paid anyway.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Raithe said:

Heh, I always remember someones anecdote, where he described watching Braveheart with a friend who happened to be a historian specialising in Scottish History.

The phrasing he used was "The film was an adventure. But sitting next to a guy who basically had one hand on all the history books and his increasingly indignant commentary was so much more of an adventure."

This is why I prefer seeing sci-fi movies with someone who knows nothing about tech/physics/space etc.   :shifty:

And don't take geologists to volcano/earthquake etc. disaster movies.

I also remember taking my mathematician brother to a couple movies where the chr. was one of those super smart math type people.  Bro snorted a lot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
Link to post
Share on other sites

STING OF DEATH (1966) - low budget regional horror film. More literal WTFs than I've experienced in awhile. Sloppy filmmaking, goofy scenes, people not seeing things in front of them or hearing things near them. One scene apes the shower death in Psycho, because what that film needed was someone in a wet suit with a giant jellyfish on their head as the killer.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The one description for Braveheart I've always loved was along the lines of:

"Trying to get Americans to understand that Braveheart as a historical film is basically pointing out that if I grabbed a bunch of people from Canada, dressed them in Star Trek uniforms, gave them Native American weapons, then shot a film of them battling outside a Taco Bell in Miami, and considered it an accurate representation of Washington 's Battle of Trenton."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 8:40 PM, Amentep said:

One scene apes the shower death in Psycho, because what that film needed was someone in a wet suit with a giant jellyfish on their head as the killer.

**** it, I'm watching this over the weekend.

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlshot

"I'm fine with humanity being wiped out" - majestic

"I won't say what just in case KaineParker is reading" - Bartimaeus

"Oh no! Is there super secret ending as well? I don’t care." - Wormerine

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Snyder Cut Justice League trailer is out.

Here's my synopsis: In the darkest dark of the dark a dark will dark the darkest dark dark dark. DARK! *EVERYTHING EXPLODES*

Fun fact: That synopsis fits for multiple Zack Snyder movies.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

The Snyder Cut Justice League trailer is out.

Here's my synopsis: In the darkest dark of the dark a dark will dark the darkest dark dark dark. DARK! *EVERYTHING EXPLODES*

Fun fact: That synopsis fits for multiple Zack Snyder movies.

I was just remarking to a friend that I loved that he put his name literally in the title of the movie. Really: the official title of this is called "Zack Snyder's Justice League". If it somehow isn't actually at least good (and I think the chances that it is are about a million to one), he's going to deservedly be an even bigger meme than he was before...and hack Hollywood studios will continue to hire him. And then I looked at the runtimes...exactly 120 minutes for the original cut, exactly 240 minutes for the new cut. Just what I want from terrible directors: special re-releases of their awful films except twice as long! Great!

Maybe we'll get a good Half in the Bag out of it. Probably not, RLM seems increasingly kind of over mainstream movies as of late.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Yeah, I can't see Mike & Jay putting themselves through 4 soul crushing hours of Zack Snyder garbage. Is it really 4 ****ing hours long!?

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

^ Yeah, I can't see Mike & Jay putting themselves through 4 soul crushing hours of Zack Snyder garbage. Is it really 4 ****ing hours long!?

That's what Wikipedia lists it as, exactly 240 minutes. I cannot imagine a universe where I could possibly sit through a Zach Snyder film for four hours. The ten to fifteen minute chunks I've been subjected to over the years were already completely exhausting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Keyrock said:

^ Yeah, I can't see Mike & Jay putting themselves through 4 soul crushing hours of Zack Snyder garbage. Is it really 4 ****ing hours long!?

No way, yeah. Discovery and Picard I think finally killed Mike's capacity to endure anything. Used to be they sat through all Resident Evil films for some fun on Half in the Bag, but those days are gone, I guess. And I get it. Who wants to watch stuff like that all day, not even for money. :p

  • Like 2

We all have signed the pacts, we knew so well nothing was left
We are being born at the sound of ends, and yes we still believe in beauty
It used to be the pride of Man, now a flame put out by the cold in his hand

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, majestic said:

No way, yeah. Discovery and Picard I think finally killed Mike's capacity to endure anything. Used to be they sat through all Resident Evil films for some fun on Half in the Bag, but those days are gone, I guess. And I get it. Who wants to watch stuff like that all day, not even for money. :p

There was a brief moment in time, right after Star Trek Beyond came out, where Mike Stoklasa had a glimmer of hope for the future of Star Trek. That glimmer was savagely murdered by the fiendish villain Alex Kurtzman. ;(

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

There was a brief moment in time, right after Star Trek Beyond came out, where Mike Stoklasa had a glimmer of hope for the future of Star Trek. That glimmer was savagely murdered by the fiendish villain Alex Kurtzman. ;(

That was squarely on him though. Star Trek: Beyond was Beyond crap, in my opinion. I have no idea how he fanboyed a decent movie into that dumpster fire. I actually contemplated leaving the cinema after that opening. I wish I had, at the end.

Plot so dumb makes me dumberer for look at screen with eyes.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all have signed the pacts, we knew so well nothing was left
We are being born at the sound of ends, and yes we still believe in beauty
It used to be the pride of Man, now a flame put out by the cold in his hand

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when you pulled in Abrams who repeatedly admitted he didn't like Star Trek as a kid because it was too philosophical...

There's being an entertaining film to a wide audience, and there's being an entertaining Star Trek.

I mean sure, the reboots did pull in fresh fans to the Trek Universe, so it worked on that level. The fact that it walked across the majority of existing fans to do so...

Eh.

Still. Enjoy what you enjoy.

  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, majestic said:

That was squarely on him though. Star Trek: Beyond was Beyond crap, in my opinion. I have no idea how he fanboyed a decent movie into that dumpster fire. I actually contemplated leaving the cinema after that opening. I wish I had, at the end.

Plot so dumb makes me dumberer for look at screen with eyes.

I will say this for Star Trek Beyond, it was at least better than the dumpster fire that was Into Darkness IMHO.

You know, I became a Star Wars fan years before I became a Star Trek fan, yet when Star Wars became a steaming pile of garbage, it didn't hurt that much. When Star Trek lost its heart and soul and became yet another dumb action franchise, that really hurt. Oh well, they're both dead as far as I'm concerned now. To those that enjoy those franchises these days, more power to you. I've moved on.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...