General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

There does seem to be a distinct run of the genre lately...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So if you're vaccinated, will you be going back to the theaters? Or did you never leave - (I know one person who kept going to them). 

Not that I was going to theaters to begin with.  But even if I don't personally care to, it'd be nice if they bounce back and start doing well again. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll try very hard to never go back to the theater but the most restrictive part of the lockdown was like heaven to me. I think it's safe to say that I'm not representing most people.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

24 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

So if you're vaccinated, will you be going back to the theaters?

Maybe. With Royal Oaks Theater closed it seems for the most part what I'd want to see in theaters ain't gonna be there. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

So if you're vaccinated, will you be going back to the theaters?

Nope. I have a pretty good 4K TV at home, why would I overpay for tickets and concessions and potentially have to listen to some random dip$#!+s talking over the movie. I'll pick my own dip$#!+s to talk over the movie at home. ;)

I'm SUPER excited to go to a live rasslin' show again, though. Hopefully soon.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I watched Fateful Findings. First off, this is how the movie arrived:

rgN9WMa.jpg

You know you're about to watch a top quality motion picture when it comes in a blank jewel case.

What can I say about this movie... It's...  It's baffling more than anything else. It's not a particularly funny bad movie, though I did get some laughs, particularly at the end, but it doesn't even come close to being as funny as Samurai Cop, for example (admittedly, that's an extremely high bar to clear). It's confusing, but in a strangely engaging way. The acting is awful, as expected. Stuff just happens. We go from scene to scene to scene with nothing remotely approaching set ups or transitions. 

Neil Breen plays Dylan, who's an author. When he was a kid he and his friend Leah found a box in the woods and it had a magic (?) rock in it. He has magic powers, I think (because of the rock?), and he's pretending to be working on a book but is instead secretly hacking into everything on his multitude of non-functional laptops to expose corruption. The whole thing is a confusing mess. The ending, though, and Dylan's stirring speech... *chef kiss* Magnifique! Also, if you ever wanted to see a naked Neil Breen in a tarp cave, I have some great news for you.

I think I will order Pass Thru next. Sadly, he no longer sells Double Down nor I Am Here... Now, so I have no idea how I could procure those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I watched the 2019 version of Midway today. It wasn't bad actually. I was expecting to hate it for a hot mess of heavily fictionalized Hollywood history. Especially since it was directed by the same guy the made that terrible Mel Gibson disaster The Patriot. But in terms of historical accuracy it was pretty good. My only complaint it it tried to do too much. It covered Paarl Harbor, the Marshall Islands, the Dolittle Raid, Coral Sea AND Midway.  So a lot of important details about the actual Midway battle were left out or glossed over. I still liked the 1970's Charlton Heston version better (because it was laser focused and detailed) but this one wasn't terrible. 

Historical accuarcy in movies is kind of a big thing with me. It's why I hated Gladiator and especially Braveheart. Jeez they even had the freaking year wrong in that one!

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Boyhood (2014). It may have taken 12 years to make, but it only took me 7 years to watch it so I guess I'm ahead. Overall it's a good slice of life movie, and even if it does have a bit much volume it makes sense for the most part. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

18 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Boyhood (2014). It may have taken 12 years to make, but it only took me 7 years to watch it so I guess I'm ahead. Overall it's a good slice of life movie, and even if it does have a bit much volume it makes sense for the most part. 

IT BROKE NEW GROUND.

Surprised nobody mentioned that yet. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

IT BROKE NEW GROUND.

Surprised nobody mentioned that yet. :p

6 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Very cool

Me, personally, I loved Boyhood. 

As an aside, I miss The Nerd Crew. They haven't done one of those in a long time. 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Re: theaters - I do miss the absolutely giant screens, but the other people is not worth the extra size now that one can have a pretty big TV.  I suppose a forum full of indoor gaming geeks isn't the best example of in-theater enthusiasts.  :shifty:

Mostly I'm hoping the trend of new theater movies being "ported" to streaming very quickly continues.  Doesn't have to be one week or something, but maybe one or two months, say ... not 8-12 months (I know disc sales was more like 6 months, but I want streaming access even faster).

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched Double Down. It was every bit as baffling as Fateful Findings, perhaps more. There's a lot less acting in this movie, which, given the quality of said acting, is probably for the best. There's a ton of B roll with narration over it. This movie has 3 commonalities with Fateful Findings: A special (magic?) rock. So many laptops, none of which are functional. Neil Breen's character, Aaron in this case, is the greatest hacker. I'm curious to see if those same things pop up in his other movies. There's a lot of Neil running around in the desert and so many cans of tuna. There are attempts here at mystical, spiritual, and religious imagery that I'm sure have profound meaning in Neil Breen's mind but are perplexing, more than anything else, to the me.

I went ahead and ordered Pass Thru; I should have the movie by the time I get back home next time in 3 to 4 weeks. /rubs hands together

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I went ahead and ordered Pass Thru

For The CEO

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I treated myself to a cripplingly expensive OLED during lockdown so my lounge is now my cinema.  I've very much enjoyed discovering what 4k and HDR is all about but strangely the film that entertained me the most was The Lighthouse.

• Like 1