General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

When did disliking Ernest films become an option?

When you watch his movies, you'll laugh, you'll cry...you'll see turtle paratroopers from the sky!

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

8 hours ago, Amentep said:

Apparently, people exist that have poor enough taste to dislike a movie with Helen Hunt and a flying cow. At that point anything is possible, even disliking Ernest P Worell.

:shrugz:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Gasp! 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dave Bautista Knives Out 2: Project is "Terrifying," Validating – /Film (slashfilm.com)

It feels terrifying. I’m nervous about it. I’m really nervous. It’s one of those things where now the pressure’s on, because people are expecting things from you. I want to deliver. I take pride in that. I’m a game player. I want to throw a touchdown pass. I know the script is brilliant, I know the director is brilliant, and I know everybody that they’re going to cast – obviously Daniel [Craig] is there, he’s brilliant, and I believe Ed Norton’s been cast as well. So the names are going to get bigger and better, and for me, I can’t get it out of my head that – there’s always going to be a part of me that feels like I’m new to this and I’m still learning, and I want to be able to hold my own. So there is a bit of an intimidation factor, because all these actors and directors are just accomplished and seasoned and award-winners. But at the end of the day, this is how I gauge my career, the people I’m working with. The projects that I’m on, the directors that I work with. So I know being announced as part of this cast is a huge statement, because the first film crushed.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 5/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, Amentep said:

When you watch his movies, you'll laugh, you'll cry...you'll see turtle paratroopers from the sky!

21 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Apparently, people exist that have poor enough taste to dislike a movie with Helen Hunt and a flying cow. At that point anything is possible, even disliking Ernest P Worell.

:shrugz:

Even humorless, monstrous little old me still has some fondness for Ernest. They're by no means as funny as they were as a kid, and many gags earn more embarrassed facepalms than laughs, but they certainly still have their charm.

Helen Hunt? Literally never heard of her...and look at that, I've never seen a single thing she's been in - can't help but notice that she was a lot more active in the 70s and 80s than the 2000s or even the 90s. Well, well...the future is now, old man, :yes:.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Attack the Block 2 Finally Happening, Boyega & Cornish Are Back – /Film (slashfilm.com)

At long last, Attack the Block 2 is a go. Studiocanal, Film4, Complete Fiction Pictures & UpperRoom Productions are finally moving forward with an Attack the Block sequel that will bring back director Joe Cornish and star John Boyega. Cornish and Boyega have been talking about a potential sequel for years now, and at long last, it’s becoming a reality. In the original 2011 film, Boyega played Moses, the leader of a teen street gang that has to deal with aliens that have invaded a council estate in South London.

Deadline broke the news that Attack the Block 2 is officially happening, and both Joe Cornish and John Boyega are coming back for the sequel. This has been a long time coming, but talk about the sequel has increased in recent years. Last summer, Cornish said: “We’ve got ideas. I met with John a couple of months ago to talk about it. We’ve always had ideas since after the first one, but obviously we’ve both been busy doing different things. In a weird way, kinda, the longer you leave it the more interesting it is. So that’s what I’ll say.” And this March, Cornish added: “We’re working on it at the moment. John Boyega was round at my place a few weeks ago and we sat in the garden — socially distanced — talking about story ideas until it was so dark we couldn’t see each other. So, yeah, we’re working on that.”

I'm going to comment here since it's a series of movies even if I saw it on Netflix:

After rewatching IP Man, I then watched the 2nd and 3rd sequel.  I suddenly realized Donnie Yen was one of the guys in the movie Hero.  Looks quite different.
For somewhat more recent martial arts/fighting movies, I think I like this series the best that I've seen (not that I've seen tons of them).  I mean, the plot/conflicts and such is typical, and each successive film is a little lesser and lesser, but those choreographed fight scenes are so good/fun.  Donnie Yen is awesome.  That is all.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

They made a trucker action movie and didn't even have the common decency to cast me for authenticity?

0/10 Would Not Watch #CancelTheIceRoad

🤬

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Henry Cavill to Star in Highlander Reboot From Chad Stahelski (collider.com)

Well, if there can be only one, you can't really go wrong with Henry Cavill. Deadline reports the actor, known to millions as Superman in three DC films and Geralt of Rivia in Netflix's The Witcher, has landed the lead role in Lionsgate's Highlander reboot. The film is set to be directed by Chad Stahelski, who ushered in a new modern era of ass-kicking with the John Wick franchise.

It's not clear yet whether Stahelski's Highlander is a remake or complete reimagining, which means we don't know if Cavill is recreating the immortal role ofConnor MacLeod, first played by Christopher Lambert.

• Hmmm 3

Won't be the same without a Scottish Egyptian

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They better bring back Adrian Paul.

I guess Lambert too, but that's not a dealbreaker. :p

Apparently Paul teaches swordfighting in Colorado Springs. @ShadySands, it sounds like you have a new assignment.

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainment/highlander-adrian-paul-to-teach-sword-fighting-in-colorado-springs/article_8cddea20-a91c-11eb-afe4-ef60cb926d3a.html

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

They did have Paul turn up in a couple of episodes of Arrow. Channeling his dark quickening Highlander to scene chew as a villainous mastermind.

I might forget the films they kept adding on, but the tv show has a serious place in my heart.  The first season might have been a touch ropey, but it definitely settled down smoothly and introduced some great characters and interesting storylines the further they went.

54 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

They better bring back Adrian Paul.

I guess Lambert too, but that's not a dealbreaker. :p

Apparently Paul teaches swordfighting in Colorado Springs. @ShadySands, it sounds like you have a new assignment.

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainment/highlander-adrian-paul-to-teach-sword-fighting-in-colorado-springs/article_8cddea20-a91c-11eb-afe4-ef60cb926d3a.html

It's a long drive but I suppose I could be the guest teacher for a class

Free games updated 3/4/21

Will the Highlander reboot have The Kurgan as the villain? I like Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert, but it was Clancy Brown's performance that carried that movie. He was magnificent.

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

45 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Will the Highlander reboot have The Kurgan as the villain? I like Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert, but it was Clancy Brown's performance that carried that movie. He was magnificent.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

IIRC Fine Young Cannibals singer was a major villain in the series.

Apparently the producers liked inviting musicians to play roles just to see what they'd bring to the table. Which is why so many ended up putting in appearances, and some became recurring characters.

The likes of:

• Jim Byrnes as Joe Dawson
  • Roger Daltrey as Hugh Fitzcairn
  • Roland Gift as Xavier St. Cloud
  • Joan Jett as Felicia Martins.
  • One of the Kemp brothers.
  • Sheena Easton as Annie Devlin.
  • Vanity as Rebecca Lord.

Amid a fair few others.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

Henry Cavill Says Highlander Reboot Will Be An Adventure Fans Will Never Forget (wegotthiscovered.com)

The British actor has since responded to the news on social media, sharing a screenshot of Variety’s write-up of the story on Instagram. In his caption for the post, Cavill detailed his personal history with the franchise, which dates back to his childhood, describing boarding this relaunch as the “opportunity of a lifetime” and teased that the new movie will be an adventure fans “shall never forget.”

“Very exciting news today!” Cavill began. “I’ve been a fan of Highlander since I was lad. From the movies in all of their 80s, Queen slathered glory to the TV show with an actor who looked remarkably like one of my brothers. Being not shy with swords, and having a director as talented as Chad Stahelski at the helm, this is an opportunity like no other. Deep diving into franchise storytelling with all the tools at our disposal, is going to make this an adventure I (and hopefully all of you) shall never forget.”

In any case, the project has been in the works for the longest time, with Stahelski involved since 2016. At one point, Dave Bautista was attached to play The Kurgan, MacLeod’s nemesis originally portrayed by Clancy Brown. It’s yet to be made clear if he’ll be joining Cavill on board the pic, but regardless, it sounds like the new Highlander is finally gaining steam, so hopefully more news will follow sooner rather than later.

20 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Well damn, was hoping he'd say it'd be worse dreck than Highlander : The Source or even that Highlander sequel people said existed.

• Gasp! 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra