General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

I watched Mortal Kombat too and imo, the first 7 minutes are the best part of the movie.

Going to agree.  And I also laughed at that one spot/thing, haha. 

Some of the fights were ok, but it has the issue of many of these films with mostly terrible acting - but where it's not actually terrible/cheesy enough to be hilarious.
The fight at the main guy's house and the last sub zero fight were fairly fun to watch.  I'm a little unclear what the main dude's power was tho - really good armor/ability to take hits and form little swords under his forearms.  Was that it? The red glows in the armor just indicate the suit absorbing the damage? But then everyone should've just gone for his head, right?

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

I'm a little unclear what the main dude's power was tho - really good armor/ability to take hits and form little swords under his forearms.  Was that it? The red glows in the armor just indicate the suit absorbing the damage?

I wasnt quite sure either so I just checked and youre spot on: Cole Young

This transition in fighting style is aided by his arcana, which manifests as a kind of extremely durable metal skin which can absorb the kinetic energy of his opponent’s strikes to empower his own blows and which can also generate weapons in the form of both normal and bladed tonfas from his arms.

Ah, ok. So not *just* absorb/prevent damage but also transfers at least some of that energy back into his own attacks, giving him more melee powah too.  Makes sense.

I'd still have aimed for his head tho.  :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Caught "The Losers" on Amazon Prime.

An interesting one, actually an adaption of a DC universe comic series of the same name from back in 2010.

But the cast... Jeffrey Dean Morgan as the commanding officer of a bunch of special forces loaned out to the CIA, which include Chris Evans. Idris Elba, Columbus Short, and Oscar Jaenada.  Things happen, they get burned by big, bad CIA masterspook (Jason Patric), framed and presumed dead,  and end up working with Zoe Saldana's mysterious femme fatale to get back to the US and payback.

None of it's too new or unique, but it gels well, the chemistry between the cast is rock solid, and they all seem to have a lot of fun.

Guns, cars, bikes, knives, explosions, some girls, and some significant scenery chewing at times.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Max: "What the hell was that...?"

Wade: "You gave me the nod."

Max: "A 'hit him in the face nod' not a 'throw him off the roof nod'."

Wade: "I thought that was what you wanted."

Max: "At most, at most, that was a 'break his fingers nod'. Jesus Wade, the man was a scientific genius.  Granted his weight signaled certain impulse control issues but...that's no reason to throw his fat ass off 57 floors."

Wade: "I'm sorry."

I thought THE LOSERS was underappreciated.  Finger guns was fun too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

Max: "What the hell was that...?"

Wade: "You gave me the nod."

Max: "A 'hit him in the face nod' not a 'throw him off the roof nod'."

Wade: "I thought that was what you wanted."

Max: "At most, at most, that was a 'break his fingers nod'. Jesus Wade, the man was a scientific genius.  Granted his weight signaled certain impulse control issues but...that's no reason to throw his fat ass off 57 floors."

Wade: "I'm sorry."

I thought THE LOSERS was underappreciated.  Finger guns was fun too.

up until knives out, "skippy from tech support" were probable our favorite chris evan role. admitted, this is not much o' a compliment, but we still can't hear, journey's "don't stop believing'" w/o thinking losers and skippy.

added scene for those with no plans to ever see losers.

Spoiler

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Ah, Statham and Ritchie together again...

See Jason Statham as you've never seen him before as man really good at killing people!

All joking aside, Snatch is one of my favorite movies, so I'm more excited for this than most Jason Statham kills people movies.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I really liked Mr. Statham in the first Transporter which is where I first saw him.  He did fine in Cellular (a movie I enjoyed more than most, probably...).  I barely remember Transporter2 although I did see it.  I guess he was in Expendables.  I think I saw and at least moderately liked Homefront but I don't remember clearly (not necessarily the movie's fault, my memory just gets worse every year).

...I'm not sure I've seen any of his other movies.  None interested me after Transporter2 was "eh" and he seemed to become a meme more than anything else, like Norris or older/action-y Bruce Wilis. That said, this one looks a little more in my mindless action-y wheelhouse and I like Holt McCallany a fair bit, so I might check it out.

I already mentioned Snatch, but I also liked Jason Statham in the Crank movies and I like the first Transporter movie well enough. Every other movie I've seen him in he might as well be the transporter.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think what always amuses me with Statham is that one of the key reasons he go the first role in Lock Stock, was because he had ended up being a London street vendor/black market salesman to make ends meet, and had managed to sell things to Ritchie.

It's one of those weird things. He got paid basically £5,000 for that first acting role. Then £15,000 for his role in Snatch.

Then he went to Hollywood.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I got myself a birthday present:

LufJl6k.jpg

2a6LBEG.jpg

It's mostly 70s and 80s Hong Kong wuxia cinema with a handful of blaxploitation movies thrown in for whatever reason (I'm certainly not complaining). This is exactly my kind of cheese, fake Bruce Lee clones and all. :dancing:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

It's mostly 70s and 80s Hong Kong wuxia cinema with a handful of blaxploitation movies thrown in for whatever reason (I'm certainly not complaining). This is exactly my kind of cheese, fake Bruce Lee clones and all. :dancing:

80s Italian Blaxploitation films at that. But I'm not sure why they left off the fourth Black Cobra film...

Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

mage

tough part is even at twelve discs, you probable still gotta go out and buy five deadly venoms

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

tough part is even at twelve discs, you probable still gotta go out and buy five deadly venoms

HA! Good Fun!

For all-time classics like Five Deadly Venoms, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (greatest training montage movie ever), and The Legend of the Drunken Master, I'm quite happy to buy an individual copy for each of those, plus I'll see if high quality 4K Blu-Ray transfers exist.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Whatever happened to the... 4? ... 5? Avatar sequels James Cameron was going to make? It's a weird thing, when Avatar first came out I was very much in the minority of not liking the movie. I didn't hate it, I thought it was pretty meh with a dumb as **** plot and while the visuals were cool for the time, they didn't make me blow a load in my pants like they did for seemingly most other people. As time has passed, I think more and more people have come around to my side of "Avatar was stupid". Is there still an audience that really wants these sequels to happen?

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸