General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

Rian Johnson Star Wars Movies Less Likely After Knives Out Deal (gizmodo.com)

Rian Johnson’s Star Wars trilogy seems less likely than ever today, seeing as how the director just closed a $450 million deal to make two Knives Out sequels at Netflix. And you know what? Good for him.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

20 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Rian Johnson’s Star Wars trilogy seems less likely than ever today -snip-

Does that qualify as "subverting expectations"? :shifty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What's up with Netflix handing gigantic wads of dosh to over rated hacks  people who have run franchises into the ground Star Wars cast offs? First Benioff and Weiss, now Rian Johnson.

For that matter SW has gone from expecting annualised movie releases including two new trilogies from the aforementioned trio to literally nothing (?) in the foreseeable future, and it looked like that even before covid.

15 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

What's up with Netflix handing gigantic wads of dosh to over rated hacks  people who have run franchises into the ground Star Wars cast offs? First Benioff and Weiss, now Rian Johnson.

For that matter SW has gone from expecting annualised movie releases including two new trilogies from the aforementioned trio to literally nothing (?) in the foreseeable future, and it looked like that even before covid.

To be fair, B&W can probably do a good work when they are limited to adapting books. Let's see what their new adaptation, The Three Body Problem, will look like. And I think Knives Out was pretty good. Not that two sequels sound like a good idea.

I more or less agree with this analysis of how Knives Out worked on aspects The Last Jedi failed:

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Star Wars is in a weird place. They have pretty much milked the fan service cow dry and they've tread over old ground so much that I have doubts that would fly in the future, but almost every time someone has tried to do something different with the universe it has fallen flat on its face. The one exception is The Mandalorian, which is about the only thing keeping this franchise out of the graveyard at the moment.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

24 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Star Wars is in a weird place. They have pretty much milked the fan service cow dry and they've tread over old ground so much that I have doubts that would fly in the future, but almost every time someone has tried to do something different with the universe it has fallen flat on its face. The one exception is The Mandalorian, which is about the only thing keeping this franchise out of the graveyard at the moment.

Definitely in a weird place, and some of it is due to covid and while OT for here they do have at least two more TV series coming to be fair. OTOH, they're... a Rogue One spinoff (?) and Obiwan miniseries, so both deeply conservative offerings. Personally, I think a large part of the problem is the near complete lack of them trying to do something different, except at the one time it was stupid to do so. Even then TLJ was clearly meant to be the ESB of the trilogy...

43:36 into Godzilla vs. Kong

--remember when Kong wasn't Godzilla sized? I mean the Empire State building still dwarfed him when he stood on top of it.  I get it, they need to be more equal - just saying
--battleships in this movie sure have terrible aim
--visually it looks great so far (so don't get me wrong) but I feel like I'm watching some expensive animated cutscene in a video game.  I miss practical effects, or at least a mixture of them and CGI. For this type of thing for some reason I liked Pacific Rim film more, not sure why
--at least the audio is ok...music/effects is still too loud vs. other tho.  No such thing as watching a (new, action) movie quietly late at night while spouse is sleeping,  anymore.  >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

With a little FFWD'ing, finished the G vs K.  My general take:  you love watching giant monsters have a fight?  It'll scratch that itch. Visually great looking most of the time.  Everything else is typical monsters-are-the-stars predictable/serviceable but nothing special. The human actors do what they can with very little, per usual in these movies.  But if you don't care about/are a little tired of spectacle, this probably won't do much for you.

--I thought the main fights sequences went on a little too long. I would've liked shorter but more fights, Just me tho.
--there were moments where I burst out laughing during said fights.  Probably wasn't supposed to, but actually, I enjoyed that I did.
--I like this version of Godzilla more than I like this version of Kong.
--there was no after credit cookie

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

15 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

43:36 into Godzilla vs. Kong

--remember when Kong wasn't Godzilla sized? I mean the Empire State building still dwarfed him when he stood on top of it.  I get it, they need to be more equal - just saying

They had to change his height for the original Godzilla vs Kong (and kept that height for King Kong Escapes).  I accept it as the 'Toho' size Kong.

14 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

--there was no after credit cookie

The director said they felt the ending needed something extra, so the after-credit scene was reworked to be part of the end of the movie.  So there was going to be an after credit scene...

Looking forward to seeing the film...eventually.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^  I mostly mentioned the after credit thing in case anyone was going to see it in the theater and didn't want to sit thru the credits.  :lol:

...I would find it so strange to sit in a theater full of people wearing masks.  Not that I'll probably ever go into a theater again (not because of covid, just because I don't want to). Also, since eating/drinking would mean lifting/removing the mask, will they still sell concessions? Will theaters finally stop smelling of stale and spilled buttered popcorn?

Wait ... they're making a Borderlands movie now? What? Like movies based on games have done so well in the past...

https://www.shacknews.com/article/123666/borderlands-movie-official-cast-list

Hmm...Cate Blanchett as Lillith? I can sorta see that, although I feel she's a little older than the chr. ought to be (I picture early 30's, not 50's).  Jack Black as the voice of Claptrap? Mmm, maybe if he disguises his voice enough where I can't immediately go "that's Jack Black."   Jamie Lee Curtis as Tannis?  That's not too bad, although again, seems on the older side vs. game chr.  Maybe the movie is set 15 years in the future vs. games?

And then ...  Kevin freaking Hart as .... Roland?  Roland is (in the game) a bland, stick-in-the-mud and military hoo-rah type personality.  Well, maybe Mr. Hart can surprise me.

21 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

And then ...  Kevin freaking Hart as .... Roland?  Roland is (in the game) a bland, stick-in-the-mud and military hoo-rah type personality.  Well, maybe Mr. Hart can surprise me.

Doubt it. I don't think I've seen Kevin Hart play anyone other than Kevin Hart.

Free games updated 3/4/21

The Hong Kong joke was good.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Apparently 4k restoration getting a US release...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

22 hours ago, maddoxdert said:

I only found this movie with that name

There's no on Imdb either...

That link has the IMDb link on the left side of the page

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/

It was one of my favorite movies as a kid but it's not exactly a family affair and it's definitely not from 2021.

Edited by 213374U
removing spam link from the quote (sry Shady)
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

17 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

but it's not exactly a family affair

Depends on possibly the age and tastes of the family.  :shifty:  It's more comical than horrific imo but really young kids maybe not.

I unfortunately don't tend to watch "family" movies (or movies, really, these days) and can't think of anything I've seen in the past year or so that would qualify as such.