General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

Bruce Leroy, ah the memories! :lol:

Part kung fu, part blaxploitation, and part magical adventure, what a great combination.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I just watched the film again not long ago. Transported me back to the 80s (alas, only figuratively).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

https://moviehole.net/interview-jonathan-betuel-writer-director-of-my-science-project/

What stage is the “Last Starfighter” sequel at with co-writer Gary Whitta?

It looks like we’ll be making the deal to get it going. Gary’s a gifted collaborator, we’ll be writing the script together but it’s taken a long time. I had to go through a process that took years to recapture the rights, but that was recently completed and although nothing is ever clear sailing, it looks like we have a really good opportunity now. So I’m really looking forward to taking it up.
And it’s definitely a movie, because there was a news item awhile back it was going to be a TV show.

I didn’t generate that, that was a misfire from a wishful TV producer at the time. This is a movie with all the bells and whistles, and it won’t presuppose that you’ve seen the original film. There’ll be references here and there, but it’ll carry the saga forward.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So I just watched the movie "Downfall"

You know, that famous Hitler meme movie.

The content within the movie though is actually astonishingly remarkable.  Some of the rhetoric Hitler uses is nearly identical to the rhetoric you hear in todays increasingly toxic climate, especially in regards to the east.

I read a review then saw the trailer for "Nobody" - now I desperately want to see it but it probably won't be streaming until late April.   😄

Bob Odenkirk getting mad and kickin' butt, must watch.  I expect the movie itself to be simply serviceable but predictable - but he in that kind of role - totally my thing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

36 minutes ago, Raithe said:

Spoiler

STARRO?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

Wait, is this a sequel or are they rebooting a movie that came out not even 5 years ago?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

5 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Wait, is this a sequel or are they rebooting a movie that came out not even 5 years ago?

Sequel.

• Thanks 1

It's not a direct follow-up (only the actors for The Wall, Flagg, Quinn, and Boomerbutt return) and I think giving the mixed reputation of the original, the title is an attempt at a fresh start. I imagine ties to the original film will be few if not entirely non-existant.

I wouldn't call it a soft reboot per se.

It does follow-on in the sense that the squad was set up as shown in the previous film, and the majority of the members of the Squad who survived show up in this one. It's an indeterminate time after those events, but they won't really mention them. 

At least, that's the impression they seem to be giving.

Watched this tonight. It was really, really well done:

220px-Macbeth_2015_poster.jpg

They took some liberties with the original. Some things were out of order, and some lines were said by other characters. No biggie. It was the best movie adaption of a Shakespere play I've ever seen. Even better than Ian McKellen as a very Nazi-like Richard III

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

30 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

It looks fantastic, but I'm a pretty easy sell since Margot Robbie playing Harley Quinn is pretty much my favorite thing. Guardians of the Galaxy with DC Villains seems like a good time to me.

She was definitely the "most enjoyable" part of the first Suicide Squad movie. I liked the first movie, but then I didn't really expect haute couture when watching it (and I bought the dvd dirt cheap). Unlike some other movies, I felt entertained afterwards, not like I had just wasted an hour or two of my life or was suddenly missing several brain cells 👍

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

But it will be nice to have a Kaiju instead of a skybeam. 😄

Maybe it'll be a Kaiju shooting skybeams out of its eyes.

(Yes I know what it appears to be)

• Haha 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:21 PM, LadyCrimson said:

I read a review then saw the trailer for "Nobody" - now I desperately want to see it but it probably won't be streaming until late April.   😄

Bob Odenkirk getting mad and kickin' butt, must watch.  I expect the movie itself to be simply serviceable but predictable - but he in that kind of role - totally my thing.

Odenkirk is a surprisingly good dramatic actor. I think most people immediately associate him with being a comedian, and rightfully so, but the guy has range.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Rented and tried to watch Tenet.  Unfortunately the sound mixing (and more specifically, Amazon Prime's streaming audio, whatever they are using) was horrendous.  I mean usually you can at least find some tolerable ratio between the extra loud music and needing to hear/understand whispering dialogue, but this was horrible.

It might've been a good - or at least interestingly weird - movie, but we gave up and turned it off after 30 minutes.  

I think we may need to try investing in one of those fancy 90210.231 Dolby 50 speaker sound systems or something, just to see if that actually handles this modern day sound-mixing, vs. "2.1" (speakers, maybe a sub woofer).  Or attach to an actual stereo receiver with a mega equalizer unit.  Ridiculous.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

godzilla vs kong

make even less sense than last few movies

feels like travel to the center of the earth and back only take a few minute

and godzilla somehow drilled a hole into the center of the earth

fast pace are better than draging too long

fight scene no longer too dark to see

12 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I watched a few videos on nuTrek and now I keep getting recommendations for Trek bashing stuff. Problem is that most of it is culture war/libs ruin everything crap. I'm looking for an honest critique on what did and didn't work and why or why not and not rants about diversity or whatever intensity of they will not replace us. I get enough of that in the political thread.

If I can get myself to divorce the Star Trek from Star Trek 2009, then I can appreciate it as a cromulent action adventure movie. The biggest miracle of the 2009 movie is that it survived Alex Kurtzman's touch and wasn't a complete pile of garbage. Into Darkness, on the other hand, was a horrific nightmare no matter how I look at it. Beyond is a mess, but at least it didn't make me violently angry and ashamed to be a Trek fan, like its predecessor.

I tried to watch Discovery, despite Alex Kurtzman's stench on it. It was a new Trek show, I had to give it a chance. Mistake. Between 5000 ships shooting at each other and Michael Burnham constantly sobbing, it was enough to make me want to throw my TV out of the window and kick a puppy. 

I haven't touched Picard. I have learned to avoid anything Alex Kurtzman has so much as looked at like the plague. 

I just have to accept that Star Trek is now just another dumb action franchise. :banghead:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸