General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

"It's a birthmark"

"What do you mean?" 

"He was born with it" 

Best dialogue.

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Raithe said:

Eh, it doesn't have this delivery, I'd say it's a poor version..

If it doesn't have interpretive dance, it will suck more

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Watched Dara of Jasenovac. It's a gut wrenching movie, otherwise it's very well made. For those who have the stomach for movies like The Pianist or Schindler's List I highly recommend it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 2/17/2021 at 5:50 PM, Amentep said:

I guess this is the logical step after Joker. I don't think people were shocked by her because she was different so much as because she wanted to skin over a hundred puppies, but it's been a while since I've seen 101 Dalmatians.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Watched Dara of Jasenovac. It's a gut wrenching movie, otherwise it's very well made. For those who have the stomach for movies like The Pianist or Schindler's List I highly recommend it.

This looks pretty good and I will check it out when I get a chance.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 2/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, Amentep said:

tenor.gif

I'm flabbergasted by this trailer. I guess my first question is why? I mean, the answer is money, but... *sigh* Who was clamoring for a 101 Dalmatians... prequel(?)? Who is this supposed to appeal to? What is the target audience? I am so confused.

I hope the movie is better than the trailer.

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

18 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

tenor.gif

I'm flabbergasted by this trailer. I guess my first question is why? I mean, the answer is money, but... *sigh* Who was clamoring for a 101 Dalmatians... prequel(?)? Who is this supposed to appeal to? What is the target audience? I am so confused.

I hope the movie is better than the trailer.

Don't complain. Or they will start doing prequels' prequels with characters from the prequels.

sign.jpg

Is that all Disney has left these days? Terrible live action remakes of their animated classics and digging up villains that haven't been relevant in decades and recasting them as antiheroes? 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

am thinking people are undervaluing the possibilities o' doing disney prequels

Spoiler

'course, am thinking all future disney prequels should have runtimes of less than five minutes... and include dug.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 minute ago, InsaneCommander said:

Well, at some point there were plans for an Aunt May movie, so I guess anything is possible.

Hopefully not an adaption of TROUBLE!!!!

• Gasp! 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am thinking people are undervaluing the possibilities o' doing disney prequels

Hide contents

'course, am thinking all future disney prequels should have runtimes of less than five minutes... and include dug.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, if 'prequels' and 'sequels' were limited to 5-10 minute shorts that just had some fun with something or highlighted a particular event, I don't think anybody would really mind, especially since such shorts are usually very tightly written and paced due to their nature of, well, being a short.

If I had to guess, this + merchandising probably has something to do with them deciding otherwise... :p

firefox_k1JO1xq9k2.png

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, if 'prequels' and 'sequels' were limited to 5-10 minute shorts that just had some fun with something or highlighted a particular event, I don't think anybody would really mind, especially since such shorts are usually very tightly written and paced due to their nature of, well, being a short.

If I had to guess, this + merchandising probably has something to do with them deciding otherwise... :p

obviously there were sarcasm in our post. am not certain why anybody would be surprised that disney is trying to squeeze more outta their intellectual properties. the maleficent movies, which were similar to cruella as they were live-action reimagining o' an older animated feature, made considerable profit. prequels, sequels, live-action remakes, toys, computer games, theme parks, and tv shows based on movie releases, not to mention careful rerelease o' previous released titles, is only a few o' the ways in which disney maximizes the value o' their ip.  tough to argue success.

is folks who have criticized disney for their lack o' creativity in recent decades as their repackaging efforts become eye-roll inducing.

that's it. no follow up. 

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Disney's hilariously on the nose character names like Maleficent and Cruella de Ville were always ridiculous, but at least they fit when those were pure evil mustache twirling villains. The names seem extra stupid when the characters are recast as antiheroes.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Going by that trailer, the movie might as well be called Not Harley Quinn. This would be understandable had Birds of Prey killed it at the box office. I don't think Birds of Prey was a complete disaster, but it certainly didn't perform up to expectations. So they're aping a character whose movie kinda flopped.

I guess since movie theaters are dead right now and I have severe doubts they will recover even after everyone is microchipped vaccinated, I guess they just need to pump out content to try to justify whatever the monthly fee for Disney+ is. I wonder if they will charge a fee on top of the monthly fee like they did for the awful Mulan remake?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Birds of Prey flopped, but everything else Harley Quinn has been close to an unqualified success. OK, Suicide Squad was... uneven, but nearly everyone liked Quinn/ Robbie in it and at least in theory the main drawcards were Smith, and Leto's Joker.

A scramble to produce some sort of antivillain, especially a female one, from Disney is not exactly surprising, nor is their attempts to do so being somewhat eye rolling since that has to be done within the family friendly framework. I suspect they really want a female equivalent to Loki rather than Harley Quinn though, so they can keep the hilarious villainy but avoid the decidedly non G certificate undercurrent of abuse that a HQ equivalent would bring.

I thought Suicide Squad was a steaming pile of ****. Were it not for Zack Snyder's brutal and macabre assault on my senses in Man of Steel, I'd call it the worst of the DCCU movies, as it is, it gets second worst ranking. I mean, Margot Robbie was good, but that's about the only positive I have for that movie. I didn't see Birds of Prey, the things I heard kind of echo my thoughts on SS, Margot Robbie is good but the movie is a mess.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Rewatched Stardust. Just as good as I remember it being, in that fairy tale sappy kind of way. Plus I forgot how good the end credit song was.

edit: Curse my weeb self, fairy tale not fairy tail. Didn't even read that crap...

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 2/23/2021 at 6:43 AM, Keyrock said:

Going by that trailer, the movie might as well be called Not Harley Quinn.

I think it's more of a riff on Joker.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Rewatched Stardust. Just as good as I remember it being, in that fairy tail sappy kind of way. Plus I forgot how good the end credit song was.

For a second there I thought you were talking about the David Bowie biopic, which I've not heard anything good about. 

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ben-Hur

Overall it was weird mix of feeling abrupt and overly long with sprinklings of over the top acting. But that chariot race scene, man.... It was the best race scene I have ever seen on a movie. Nothing even comes close. That 9 minutes makes everything else worth it, and it isn't like everything else was bad. So if you haven't seen it, go and and watch it. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The 1925 version, the 1959 version, or the 2016 version?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.