General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

I watched Thor: Ragnarok. Fun movie. I'm kinda burned out on superheroes so I haven't seen all 800 Marvel movies, nor do I care to, but I decided to watch this one because Jeff Goldblum. I was both happy and disappointed. Disappointed because Jeff Goldblum is not in the movie nearly enough. Happy because it was full strength, unadulterated, scenery-chewing Jeff Goldblum. But of course they had to go and do the doomsday villain as per usual. I'm not too broken up about it since said doomsday villain was Cate Blanchett, who I'm a big fan of, on account of her excellent acting ability. Still, if the movie had just been 2 hours of Planet Hulk it would have been much better IMHO.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

^ It might not necessarily happen in London, but we are right on track for V For Vendetta.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

27 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

^ It might not necessarily happen in London, but we are right on track for V For Vendetta.

Or Demolition Man.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One that's always amused me knowing, and I tend to re-share it whenever I see it mentioned...

EsSnjpUXUAAbsSX?format=jpg&name=900x900

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 minutes ago, Raithe said:

One that's always amused me knowing, and I tend to re-share it whenever I see it mentioned...

hmm...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

15 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

I've never watched the movie V for Vendetta. Was it set that far into the future? The comic was set in 1997.

It was set in 2019 :)

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I hope they still make the King Conan movie. I have no idea if it's still happening or not. I know Ahnuld hasn't been in a good movie in 25+ years, but if Paul Verhoeven is directing it, I'm in. If there's anyone out there that can squeeze one last great movie out of Ahnuld, it's Verhoeven.

Edit: As an aside, what's the last good movie Ahnuld was in? The most recent one I can think of is True Lies. I'd go so far as to call that a great movie, but I have a weird love affair with True Lies, so I'm biased.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Edit: As an aside, what's the last good movie Ahnuld was in? The most recent one I can think of is True Lies. I'd go so far as to call that a great movie, but I have a weird love affair with True Lies, so I'm biased.

That depends on what you would call good. If you mean seriously good, not schlock* that's fun to watch like The Expendables then that probably really was True Lies. Escape Plan got trashed by critics but I liked it well enough, it didn't feel like I've wasted two hours of my life. Unlike, say, watching Terminator Genisys or Last Stand.

* I'd say The 6th Day and Eraser were fun schlock too, but what do I know about film. :p

edit:

You're also not alone with your love affair with True Lies. Way back at that age, at the time, I could have watched Jamie Lee Curtis in anything and liked it. But even without that the film still really fun mix of comedy, action and silly one lines. Perfect entertainment in my book. You're fired. ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

That depends on what you would call good. If you mean seriously good, not schlock* that's fun to watch like The Expendables then that probably really was True Lies. 

I didn't even enjoy The Expendables, and I can appreciate schlock. I mean, Commando is in my Ahnuld top 5 and that's a terrible movie by a standard definition, but it's super fun schlock. 

"Remember when I said I'd kill you last?"

"Yeah?"

"I lied."

:lol:

• Haha 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

True Lies and Last Action Hero are truly great films.

I'd even say Last Action Hero was a film ahead of its time.  That, and it had an amazing cast plus Charles Dance glomming it up as the villain.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

After 13 years, I was finally ready for a re-watch of Synecdoche, New York. Not nearly as accessible as Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind or Adaptation, but probably still worth watching. I didn't feel nearly as lost this time.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Well, I watched it via Prime, but I think it was more of a movie-movie, so...

After debating for a while I tossed my hands and paid the $20 rental fee to see the end of the world movie Greenland.  There's no aliens - it's another extinction-level asteroid/comet etc. type scenario.  Anyway, it wasn't bad for the genre. Money shots (on home TV at least) were ok looking but not numerous, drama-peril was fairly typical for type but done well enough. One of the things I liked about it was it was all from the main family perspective.  That is, it was closer to a not-omniscient viewpoint, versus going back and forth between a military HQ and multiple other leads for exposition like many disaster films. So any information you get is only as the family was getting it (TV/radio announcements, ppl they ran into), which felt more in the moment. Also, avoids having to tech-babble-splain "reasons". Some people might prefer more exposition re: very ending, felt kind of abrupt/thin. 

And it didn't have Morgan Freeman.  $20 is bit on the high side, but when it's the usual $5-6 worth a shot if you like such films.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Send Me No Flowers.  That was a pretty funny movie, leaving the TV on TCM by accident works well sometimes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

It's quite sad how mediocre those films were.

Yeah...I mean it's not like I was expecting Oscar-worthy films, and they did have some amusing moments here and there. But even for what they are, they were not even all that much "fun."  Watchable, but ...

Also - I watched that Godzilla vs. Kong trailer.  I have a feeling we saw all the main action sequences that will occur in that trailer and the rest of the movie will be made up of long reaction shots of various star cameos. Remember when trailers made you want to see the movie, vs. feel like you already saw the movie?  That said, I'm sure those scenes will be be giant-monster movie mayhem fun.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's quite sad how mediocre those films were.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but The Expendables just felt like such a blatant soulless cash grab. I could have looked past that if the action had been fun, but it wasn't. It was generic uninspired fighting and shooting. Plus, the one liners were lame and felt phoned-in

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

^ The 2nd one was slightly better than the original/first movie, but that's not saying a whole lot perhaps.

The Chuck Norris appearance was painful