Obituary thread

13 hours ago, algroth said:

imagen.png.7279fd96474e9bfaabc6e3389a8cb4d7.png

This reaction came to me too late.  Great clip from YPM too.

https://gfycat.com/indelibleblondamericanmarten

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bunny Wailer

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

R.I.P. "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler. ;(

His bout agains Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns remains my favorite boxing match ever to this day. 

• Sad 1

rowsdower_sig.jpg.0f13980282a9229af0f1609eb6dee060.jpg
I wonder if there is beer on the sun

2 hours ago, Amentep said:

Best western novel I've ever read.  Thanks, RIP.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not exactly the point of the thread, but: Brother of NBA Rockets player Damien House's wife and three children killed by drunk driver while driving 115mph with a .15 BAC.

Perhaps it's my unfortunate and much too frequent personal experiences with irresponsible users of alcohol speaking (indeed, it was to my great relief that when my drunk-driving father died, he did not kill anyone else on his way out), but I truly wish nothing but lonely misery for those who put other people's lives at risk by driving while impaired. There are so many other ways to put yourself in danger or harm yourself that don't involve putting others' lives at risk that everyone is entitled to pursue if they so wish - don't be absolute scum, please.

• Sad 1

Put fascists and sociopaths on your ignore list.

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Sounds like he missed his chance at an exciting career in the Mafia.