Obituary thread

Amentep

I wouldn't usually defend either Albright or Clinton, but I also don't doubt that their faux pas had a lot more legs because they were women.

Quasi ironically considering Albright's justification of the 'special place in hell' remark their biggest mis-steps in office almost certainly came from trying to say something overly... aggressively to 'compensate' for being women too, and instead coming across as being sociopathic and diplomatically, being counter productive. End of the day though, if Hillary didn't get fulsome support from Albright she wasn't going to get fulsome support from anyone- possibly even including Bill in that. Would have been better if it hadn't come across as, well, overly aggressive and mildly sociopathic plus ultimately counter productive fulsome support though.

• Like 1

Steven Wilhite, because choosey Jods choose .gif

Regarding Albright and the like, I think anyone involved in realpolitik at a high level is most assuredly a sociopath of some sort regardless of gender or anything else.

Edited by ShadySands
Programming error

Free games updated 3/4/21

Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins, currently unknown cause (they were apparently scheduled to perform an hour before his sudden death).

• Sad 5

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Scott Bennie https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-03-31-fallout-writer-scott-bennie-dies-aged-61

Scott Bennie, a writer and contributor to the original Fallout, has died aged 61.

Bennie served as a designer, writer and producer of numerous games during his time at Interplay in the 1990s, including The Lord of the Rings, Starfleet Academy, plus Starfleet Command and its sequel.

• Sad 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hong Kong star Jimmy Wang Yu (One-Armed Swordsman, Master of the Flying Guillotine, Killer Meteors) at 79.  Apparently he'd been in ill health for a few years.

• Sad 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 3/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, Malcador said:

A couple of points about this:

a. She later apologized for this statement.

b. The data was subsequently attributed to Iraqi propaganda, and was determined to be completely false.

Changing views on child mortality and economic sanctions in Iraq: a history of lies, damned lies and statistics

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

5 minutes ago, rjshae said:

A couple of points about this:

a. She later apologized for this statement.

b. The data was subsequently attributed to Iraqi propaganda, and was determined to be completely false.

Changing views on child mortality and economic sanctions in Iraq: a history of lies, damned lies and statistics

Apologized for Rwanda as well, good thing all sins are forgiven, heh. Also the fact that the number is inaccurate doesn't matter that much - her reaction to the number is the thing to note.

In any case, nothing all that shocking that a high official isn't all too concerned with people.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

A bunch of us had fun changing them awhile back, but now I don't remember how we even did it, so it is stuck like this. :p

You go into account settings and it's with changing your email. I look forward to seeing Twirlshot soon.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

Apologized for Rwanda as well, good thing all sins are forgiven, heh. Also the fact that the number is inaccurate doesn't matter that much - her reaction to the number is the thing to note.

In any case, nothing all that shocking that a high official isn't all too concerned with people.

Because she was diplomatically careful not to acknowledge the genocide until it had been confirmed? Yeah, sure.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

18 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Because she was diplomatically careful not to acknowledge the genocide until it had been confirmed? Yeah, sure.

I guess question of ignorance being willful or not, but given her other actions at the time (granted as she says she was just an ambassador, to paraphrase) and the fact she apologized (as best as you can from a politician), there's something there.  Certainly not the only one to wear blame for it and the idea that Somalia made the US wary of involving is pretty funny, especially when you look at what went wrong in Somalia.

Edited by Malcador

Rwanda was more or less understandable, since the US was getting most of its information from the French who were backing the Hutus politically, and training their militia. Key take away: don't get all your information from an interested party or you may end up embarrassed; see also, outsourcing research on the 'moderate Syrian opposition' to, lol, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

(The million deaths from sanctions claim was always shaky as it came from demographics, and demographics inevitably includes people who, well, never actually lived (like most of the babies who 'died' in the infamous quote). But, demographic analyses are fine when they show what you want. The classic example being that demographic analysis of Churchill's Bengal Famine is Unscientific because you can end up with something extraordinary like 8-10 million deaths, because to quote Churchill "Indians breed like rabbits" while demographic analysis of Stalin's Famine is perfectly Scientific because you 'want' a high death toll for that, and you certainly don't want Churchill to look worse than Stalin!)

I was always amused by Zhironovsky's party being the Liberal Democratic party like he just picked it by random generator rather than to reflect any actual belief.

Fun (?) fact, Zhiro contested the 'original' Russian Presidential election way back in 1991, coming 3rd. He only missed one election campaign since then (2004)

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Haha 1