Obituary thread

Amentep

Maybe most people wouldn't want/don't want to truly live forever, but at the same time, no one lives long enough.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ronnie Spector

Be my little baby... RIP

• Sad 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Meat Loaf...

No more bats out of hell for you 😢

🔥🦇 

Edit:...

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Meat Loaf...

No more bats out of hell for you 😢

🔥🦇 

Edit:...

What a brilliant move that was and so ahead of its time with things like LGBT and other " taboo" subjects. I remember my parents and uncles telling me how it was considered " immoral, un-Christian and pernicious  to young minds "  so it was banned by the Apartheid  government  but they still all got to watch it before it was banned 

Here are some fun facts about this classic movie 

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/The_Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show/Fun_Facts

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Also, reading more into Meatloaf, it is pretty disheartening to hear it was covid and probably avoidable. He was quoted as saying "If I die, I die, but I'm not going to be controlled." What the bat out of hell does that mean? He wasn't a healthy guy, I'm guessing, but he could have had a lot more time. Crazy how many people are paying the ultimate price.

• Sad 3

One of the things he wouldn't do for love.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 3 weeks later...

Betty Davis

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

PJ O'Rourke

He's been out of the spotlight for a little while but he was a big name in columnists in the 80's & 90's

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tom Veitch, Star Wars Dark Empire Author, Dead at 80 (gizmodo.com)

In a time when Star Wars had all but faded away, Tom Veitch helped keep the Force alive. Veitch was one of the leading comic book writers for the Star Wars Dark Horse line in the 1990s and introduced stories and concepts that still resonate today. In sad news for Star Wars fans everywhere though, the author passed away recently at the age of 80, according to Wookieepedia.

fter Return of the Jedi was released in 1983, Star Wars largely left the mainstream for almost a decade. Without future movies, most people minus the hardcore fans just stopped caring. A few key publications appeared in the ‘80s, including Marvel’s Star Wars comic, but it would take until the early ‘90s to see material released that begin to reinvigorate the franchise by continuing the story forward, with the first major launches in what would become known as the Star Wars Expanded Universe. In novels, there was Timothy Zahn’s Heir to the Empire released in the summer of 1991. In the comics, there was Star Wars: Dark Empire, written by Tom Veitch. In it, Veitch came up with many of the ideas that eventually came to fruition decades later on the big screen, even after the end of the EU, chief among them the resurrection of Emperor Palpatine in clone form. The series, which was illustrated by Cam Kennedy, was a smash and was followed by two sequel series: Star Wars: Dark Empire II and Star Wars: Empire’s End, all of which were written by Veitch.

But while his and Zahn’s works were simultaneously exploring a post-Return of the Jedi world, Veitch had his most genius and far-reaching idea yet. What if things went not forward, but backward? And so, long before George Lucas released a prequel or gamers were wowed by Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Veitch wrote Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, first released in fall of 1993. With stories set thousands upon thousands of years before Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, or Princess Leia, Veitch’s work exploring the history of Star Wars with new characters inspired a whole new chapter of the franchise. It’s an idea that still lives on today, not just in Knights of the Old Republic, but in Star Wars: The High Republic.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Hall sits near the top of the list of best wrestlers to never be world champion. He had everything, the size, the look, the promo skills, and enough in-ring ability. However, he also had a long, well documented history of substance abuse, which is probably why he was never trusted to be THE MAN in any company. Still, him showing up on Nitro unannounced clad in denim kicked off rasslin's most successful period. I'm really sad to hear of his passing.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

24 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Akira Takarada

Akira Takarada was possibly the last speaking-line cast members from Gojira (1954) still alive.  One of the suitmation actors, Katsumi Tezuka (who was the assistant to primary suit actor Haruo Nakajima) is still alive at 109 and Mr. Tezuka had a brief on-screen role as a reporter but I believe it was a non-speaking role.  I think there are some speaking role actors who aren't accounted for, hence the uncertainty.

Anyhow, Mr. Takarada would return time-and-time again to Toho's giant monster films franchise, appearing in Mothra vs Godzilla, Invasion of the Astro-Monster, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, King Kong Escapes, Latitude Zero, Godzlla vs Mothra (1992), and Godzilla Final Wars. His cameo in the recent US made Godzilla (2014) sadly got left on the cutting room floor, something director Gareth Edwards discussed being a tough decision to make, but made for pacing reasons.

Mr. Takarada was also a prolific voice-over artist, dubbing a number of films for the Japanese market over the years (ranging from Doctor Doolittle in the 1967 film, the 60s spy-comedy Matt Helm films, Disney's Aladdin, Star Wars Rebels and Cats) and certainly had a number of credits in non-Godzilla related films and television shows.

He was a guest at a few US Godzilla conventions where he was from what I hear an enthusiastic guest who embraced his years of genre work.  From 1966 to 1984 he was married to Japanese model and former Miss Universe (1959) Akiko Kojima, and they had one child, singer-actress Michiru Kojima.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man