Obituary thread

Amentep

6 minutes ago, Raithe said:

I just saw this now, Philip was a well regarded member of the UK Monarchy and served his country admirably, my thoughts are with the people of the UK and his family 

RIP Prince Philip 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

RIP Prince Phillip

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Wow that sucks

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Artist Robin Wood.  She'd been fighting cancer since 2019.  Did art for Dragon magazine and several RPG games, and had a popular Tarot card set.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut that remained in orbit.  Has a good quote about his time on the far side

"I am alone now, truly alone, and absolutely isolated from any known life. I am it. If a count were taken, the score would be three billion plus two over on the other side of the moon, and one plus God knows what on this side."

• Sad 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sad to hear this. His book “Carrying the Fire” is required reading at Guard Dog U. 

I believe only six men who have seen the entirety of the earth. McDivott from Apollo 9 is still with us but it was the LEM checkout flight and stayed in earth orbit.

Thomas Sowell

this guy died too. but his legend will live on

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

13 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Sad to hear this. His book “Carrying the Fire” is required reading at Guard Dog U. 

I believe only six men who have seen the entirety of the earth. McDivott from Apollo 9 is still with us but it was the LEM checkout flight and stayed in earth orbit.

This one can be hard to put hands on, but definitely worth the trouble if you are able:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/849747.Moondust

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

RIP Johnny Crawford. Probably best known for playing Mark McCain, the son of Chuck Connors' Lucas McCain on The Rifleman, but was also an original Mouseketeer and singer.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

RIP. I primarily knew her from this:

Also RIP to Obama's dog, Bo. Cancer at 12.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra