Obituary thread

Amentep

On 2/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, Amentep said:

Rowena Morrill artist; probably best known for her book cover illustrations.

I remember when her and Boris Vallejo's posters/prints decorated my wall :(

Edit: All I have these days are a few signed Clyde Caldwell prints I bought from his site.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Rush Limbaugh. 

Guess it's a loss to some.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cancer is a terrible way to go. You wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Nevertheless some of the comments that are bubbling up from the media world shows how pretty classless people really are. Whatever you think of the man’s politics it’s kind of not cool to celebrate the fact that he died. Anyway  de mortuis nihil nisi bonum

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

12 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Cancer is a terrible way to go. You wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Nevertheless some of the comments that are bubbling up from the media world shows how pretty classless people really are. Whatever you think of the man’s politics it’s kind of not cool to celebrate the fact that he died. Anyway  de mortuis nihil nisi bonum

Eh, he used to say pretty classless stuff himself.  Granted best time to stick the knife in him would be when he was still alive, but I'm sure some did.   Hm, wonder if he ever changed his tune about smoking and lung cancer :lol:  Seeing right wingers clutch their pearls about the nasty stuff being said is precious though.

The whole talk about not speaking ill of dead always reminds me of a priest at school that went on a rant about why he despises eulogies in the Church, as they are fundamentally dishonest, heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've never known where to draw the line. I'd celebrate Hitler dying...but Rush Limbaugh isn't Hitler. He ain't Mother Theresa either, though - he's responsible for a lot of hatred and celebration of others' misery. The world is very arguably a tiny bit better place without him, so I can see why people would celebrate. Practically, celebrating his death just stokes even more division and hatred...which does seem like a fitting legacy for him.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

I'll say the same thing I said when the Koch dude died, my condolences to the people who lost a loved one

Free games updated 3/4/21

He was a guy doing schtick on the radio. That’s about it. No different from Howard Stern, Glenn Beck, Randi Rhodes or the long list of others. The fact that he had such an influence and lasted so long is that he was selling a product that people were buying. Disliking someone for that is like disliking John Sterling for calling radio games for the Yankees. If you didn’t want to listen to it just turn it off. Hell I did 25 years ago back when he had a TV show. I’ve never understood all the screeching and screaming for him to be taken off the radio. If you don’t like it, don’t listen.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In that sense, he is definitely more a symptom rather than the problem. Though I don't believe that in any way absolves him of the things he's personally said...but we wouldn't know he existed or any of the horrible things he's said if it wasn't for his audience - he'd just be one of another many crazies.

ugu48efpw2i61.jpg

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I didn't like the guy (altho I didn't "hate" him either, he just didn't interest me/wasn't on my radar).  Thus I do not "care" that he's gone ... which of course means nothing to the world or the grand scheme of things, whether I do or do not, anymore than when I feel sad because someone who *was* on my radar passes instead.  Celebrity culture is a such an odd human thing that we all fall into, either direction.

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I'll say the same thing I said when the Koch dude died, my condolences to the people who lost a loved one

And that's pretty much my reaction. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

In that sense, he is definitely more a symptom rather than the problem. Though I don't believe that in any way absolves him of the things he's personally said...but we wouldn't know he existed or any of the horrible things he's said if it wasn't for his audience - he'd just be one of another many crazies.

ugu48efpw2i61.jpg

Came here to post this. One of my friends came out as gay in high school and her parents (ardent talk radio fans) kicked her out and disowned her, she spent most of her early adulthood struggling with no support network and was periodically homeless. Maybe Rush wasn't directly or solely responsible, but he sure as **** played a big role in fanning the flames that made a whole lot of folks absolutely miserable.

I don't care about speaking ill of the dead, if Rush didn't want his death celebrated he shouldn't have made a career out of being a noxious piece of ****.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If someone approached me when I was in my 30s and told me they had a career opportunity that would make me a multi millionaire in 10 years and one of the most influential people in media in 20 and all I had to do was be such a noxious piece of garbage that people will celebrate my death I would take that deal in a heartbeat! Tell me you wouldn’t and I’ll call you a liar LOL

Thomas Sowell

Maybe, maybe not* - but also, yeah, I wouldn't be too upset if the people that I advocated hatred for and personally professed hatred towards also hated me back and were none too quiet when I died. In fact, after I died, I would not care about anything at all, because I'd be dead.

*I'd personally think I'd hate myself too much to keep doing what he did for decades, so while I may have initially tried to do it, I would've eventually had to stop after doing enough to secure my financial future. He did not do that - by all appearances, he seemed to love his role.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

Rush Limbaugh. 

Guess it's a loss to some.

tenor.gif

• Haha 4

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

55 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Maybe, maybe not* - but also, yeah, I wouldn't be too upset if the people that I advocated hatred for and personally professed hatred towards also hated me back and were none too quiet when I died. In fact, after I died, I would not care about anything at all, because I'd be dead.

*I'd personally think I'd hate myself too much to keep doing what he did for decades, so while I may have initially tried to do it, I would've eventually had to stop after doing enough to secure my financial future. He did not do that - by all appearances, he seemed to love his role.

I think you would find having absolutely no money problems at all will go along way towards the resolving any self-loathing LOL

Thomas Sowell

Not everyone is built the same, my man. I've already had enough problems with chronic depression (started since I was literally about 12 or 13!) and life in general before you add in becoming someone I utterly abhor. Sure, money is great, but having literally an endless list of mistakes and awful things you've said and done for just money's sake is not something I particularly to commit to in the long run. In direct service of that, I've always been the type that is more content with doing as little as possible to get by for mental health's sake and having more free time to myself. Being a despicable ***hole is a full-time job that would occupy way too much of my brainspace and emotions, so I can't really see being able do it for a long time.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'd do it for a year or so with the explicit intent to scam some dip****s out of their money, and then pay restitutions and live off some money for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

I'd do it for a year or so with the explicit intent to scam some dip****s out of their money, and then pay restitutions and live off some money for the rest of my life.

That's literally what I had been envisioning. Indeed, I'd love to, at some point, just turn around and absolutely dunk on my viewers and make them hear what I really think about them live on-air, and just go down the list of disgusting hypocrisies and lies that "we" had been espousing up until then. Predictably, a big chunk of them would no doubt just say I was brainwashed or blackmailed by the "deep state" or some garbage and go on pretending that pre-reveal and post-reveal me are two totally separate people. Some psychos would no doubt concoct some plans to kill me...and yeah, thinking about that, I'd more likely be an absolute coward and just say I was retiring for """health reasons""" at some point and then very quietly try to make amends. Ugh. There are certain things I can live with being on my conscience, but realistically knowing that my words undoubtedly fueled a not insignificant amount of hatred and harm towards some very vulnerable people who are just trying to make it in life same as the rest of us, maybe even indirectly leading to some early deaths...not something I'd want to live with.

(e): Also, I am a huge believer in deplatforming sources of hatred and division. When you give a voice to people's insecurities, failures, fears, prejudices, etc., a much-too-large section of the people to whom your words apply to are emboldened and become even more radicalized on those ideas, as a "strong" voice has given them "legitimacy" and publicly said out-loud the things that most people used to only think or mention privately. It is a real thing that I have seen happen to way too many people over the last decade (and I am certain it is something that has happened throughout all of history), and I want absolutely no part of it.

(e): On the other hand, if I was some scumbag millionaire, I could afford to have a drug habit (you guys ever notice how poor people usually have drug "addictions" while rich people instead have drug "habits"?) to "help" with both my chronic pain and depression. Presumably, my public stance would also be against both drugs and mental illness as a whole, so bonus points for being a hypocrite. Then I could just eventually OD and will everything to charitable causes. Now that's a plan!

But back to the topic at hand, I fundamentally believe that you are personally responsible for the things you broadcast out to the world, particularly if you do it under your own name/platform. So I understand why people are glad he's gone. Some of us have a little more tact, sense, and/or empathy than others, though - I don't wish he was dead insomuch as I wish he had been a better person that would've made it easier to wish he was still alive...but that is the more rational part of my brain talking, and it's the same kind of wish I would extend to other historical monsters.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2