Convicning Neriscyrlas to give up and lay herself to rest - How ?

Hey All,

According to the wiki: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Death%27s_Depthless_Dominion

I should be able to talk neriscyrlas into laying herself to rest an give up the struggle :

"You can talk her into laying herself to rest. Ask her if she knows how long she's been here and why she hasen't given up yet. Cruelly pointing out that this isn' life; she's already dead; that she desperately clings to an eternity of endless, futile struggle, even after many centuries. The Watcher can convince her to let go, and take her well deserved respite on the Void. She will finally relent and admit that she does indeed feel very, very tired. Then she finally let go. "

However in my playthroughs even when pushing up insight and Arcana, I am not able to achieve this... Is this option really valid ? If so, does anyone know how one can achieve it ? What reqiurements do I have to meet ?

For me, this would be the most fitting option so I would be grateful If someone could help me out on that issue....

Thanks in advance,

Mark

The skill check route with arcana and whatnot requires some really high numbers and won't lead to her finally letting go - it will result in her taking on the Beast of Winter.

If you wanna her to do herself in, pick these dialogue options:

"How do you propose to take my essence?"

"Which relic would that be?"

"Do you know how long you've been down here?"

"Try centuries"

"Why haven't you given up?"

"Look at yourself. You're already dead."

"This isn't life! You're desperately clinging to an eternity of endless, futile struggle."

"Let go. Take your respite in the Void."

Last one won't matter, so pick whichever. No skill checks required whatsoever. You'll accrue some Cruel disposition from some of these dialogue choices, mind you.

"Let's drop the moral posturing, shall we? We both know there's no altruism in this pursuit.
Your reckless indignation led you here - I
counted on it.
There's no
shame in it, Raziel - revenge is motivation enough.
At least it's honest.
Hate me, but do it honestly." - Kain, Scion of Balance

I have a recent experience with this encounter, and it might help explain why some people might not be able to get this to work. (Or it might not.)

When I played BoW the other day, I didn't ask any of the three possible helpers to come along and fight with me against Neriscyrlas. This resulted in a big surprise: when I finally went to confront Neriscyrlas, she was instantly hostile (red circle).

Obviously, I cannot be certain that this wasn't a bug, but I interpreted this as being a result of not wanting those three to come along with me. I can be wrong here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 9:12 PM, xzar_monty said:

I have a recent experience with this encounter, and it might help explain why some people might not be able to get this to work. (Or it might not.)

When I played BoW the other day, I didn't ask any of the three possible helpers to come along and fight with me against Neriscyrlas. This resulted in a big surprise: when I finally went to confront Neriscyrlas, she was instantly hostile (red circle).

Obviously, I cannot be certain that this wasn't a bug, but I interpreted this as being a result of not wanting those three to come along with me. I can be wrong here.

I was in the same exact situation, but it worked in just fine with the instructions I left in my previous post. Neri had the red ring on, indicating hostility, in my playthrough too, but still engaged in conversation.

This was on console with the latest patch, about a month ago.

• Like 1

"Let's drop the moral posturing, shall we? We both know there's no altruism in this pursuit.
counted on it.
There's no
At least it's honest.

8 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Ok, interesting, and thank you for that. It appears that I was, indeed, wrong, as I said I might be.

Np!

Could still be that it's bugged on pc though or that it bugs out only sometimes?

My personal take on why people might have a hard time getting this to trigger is because we, as players, are conditioned to think that only dialogue options with skill checks are worth picking. It certainly took me a few reloads to get this particular outcome. Or maybe that's just me?

And in the end I went with fighting her, cuz the watcher in that playthrough was a godly man, so of course he did what Rymi wanted. Although big R doesn't seem to care how the dragon dies, only that she does.

counted on it.
There's no
At least it's honest.