Finally defeated Sigilmaster Auranic after 10+ attempts and 2 hrs

Jesus!

I am doing a solo Bloodmage/Troubadour run with most Challenges enabled and so far the water dragon and Concelhault have been easy, but this one ... took me a while to figure it out! I enjoyed it. Surely someone found a faster way but getting my ass kicked was refreshing and welcome.

I had no Captain's Blanket, so I had to resort to Sandals of the Water Lily, Rekvu's Stained Grasps, and Evee to resist the sigils' hard CC. First I attempted to make my animated weapons kill her slowly while I remained invisible via Arkemyr's Departure, for which I found Cap of the Laughingstock useful as it made my summons immune to terrify and automatically debuffed Auranic. I was getting more and more confident after 1 hour seeing her just autoattacking my summons but that nasty surprise at the end ... killed my hopes.

I panicked here, as all my single target and bouncing spells were reflected by the sigils and they were also immune to my animated weapons. I tried combusting wounds on them and interestingly I observed that after the invulnerability globe comes back the DoT continues damaging the sigil. I combined it with Wall of Flames but it barely did any damage, so I had to give up this route.

I also saw how you could suspend any active sigils via Arcane Dampener, but it made things worse when it expired as you then had 2 active sigils.

After trying many spells I found out Kalakoth's Minor Blights, Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar + Sun & Moon, and Arcane Reflection for the lighting and Chaotic Orb sigils work OK. Also I learnt better not to use summons while fighting the sigils (many bounces otherwise), and more importantly Arkemyr's Departure lets you reset the fight and heal. 2 hours later I destroyed all 5 sigils and got her near death. A little later I got distracted and she transformed me into a pig and summoned her phantom, which left me without summons or potions and despite using my new pig abilities (run!) to my best I died. Well that was time to go bed straightaway, and not in a good mood...

Today after another 2 hours I destroyed the sigils and while I remained invisible my animated weapons finally killed her. What a relief!

Anyway, good fun (if I had died again after 2 hours probably I'd have uninstalled). I have a question for you guys, do you know if Death Ring destroys near death enemies if it grazes? or only when it hits/crits? Because I had like 10% chance to graze her against fortitude, but perhaps with Eldritch Aim I could have succeeded at my 1st strategy and killed her without killing the sigils.

Edited by lewis_cb
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lewis_cb said:

Anyway, good fun (if I had died again after 2 hours probably I'd have uninstalled). I have a question for you guys, do you know if Death Ring destroys near death enemies if it grazes? or only when it hits/crits? Because I had like 10% chance to graze her against fortitude, but perhaps with Eldritch Aim I could have succeeded at my 1st strategy and killed her without killing the sigils.

she will not die without opening all remaining sigils (she opens, then die) so you would have to face all sigils at once

I think graze it's enough

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

43 minutes ago, Waski said:

graze is enough.

waski is right about the sigils. in fact, even if you land an instakill spell, you will get any effects from the instakill spell but auranic just will not die. this is very weird if you use chanter's boil the flesh invocation, because you will get healing and action speed buff as if you instakilled auranic, but she will still be standing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waski said:

she will not die without opening all remaining sigils (she opens, then die) so you would have to face all sigils at once

True! I would have needed Resolve Immunity in order to use Death Ring when she is near death due to the terrify sigil being always active. So after killing her, would I have had to kill the 5 sigils simultaneously? don't they deactivate after she dies?

48 minutes ago, thelee said:

graze is enough.

waski is right about the sigils. in fact, even if you land an instakill spell, you will get any effects from the instakill spell but auranic just will not die. this is very weird if you use chanter's boil the flesh invocation, because you will get healing and action speed buff as if you instakilled auranic, but she will still be standing.

Wow that is very weird. On the one hand it prevents the player from ignoring the sigils which may be cool, but on the other hand it makes these spells much less useful as to me their main use is finishing sturdy enemies like this one. I would surely have felt cheated on if I had tried it.

Hold on, maybe I didn't get it. Do you guys mean that once she becomes near death she cannot die until she casts Endless Assault, or that she cannot die until you kill the 5 sigils?

Thanks guys!

Edited by lewis_cb

wiz: death ring, petrification

druid: touch of death

chanter: boil their flesh.... and upgrade

priest: dismissal (race and lv dependent)

marux amanth dager (soulbound) : sacrifice

no clue how detonate from cipher looks, never tested it

maybe some others?

most of them work only on enemies under 25% health

• Like 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

18 minutes ago, Waski said:

maybe some others?

Thanks! I've only played Chanters among those classes, and I've never used Boil their Flesh. No wonder I was clueless!

1 hour ago, lewis_cb said:

True! I would have needed Resolve Immunity in order to use Death Ring when she is near death due to the terrify sigil being always active. So after killing her, would I have had to kill the 5 sigils simultaneously? don't they deactivate after she dies?

Wow that is very weird. On the one hand it prevents the player from ignoring the sigils which may be cool, but on the other hand it makes these spells much less useful as to me their main use is finishing sturdy enemies like this one. I would surely have felt cheated on if I had tried it.

Hold on, maybe I didn't get it. Do you guys mean that once she becomes near death she cannot die until she casts Endless Assault, or that she cannot die until you kill the 5 sigils?

Thanks guys!

The sigils don't deactivate when she dies. They will happily rip you to shreds if you leave all five up and kill auranic first. Can't de-aggro them either, at least nothing I tried worked, they have infinite range (in that area).

Auranic has a death prevention shield that only goes away after she uses Endless Assault, which reveals all five sigils (even if all five sigils are gone). She only uses this attack once at Near Death.

1 hour ago, Waski said:

if you hit her with instakill she will activate all sigils and then die

not true. if you hit her with instakill before she has had a chance to use endless assault, it will do nothing (except trigger other instakill-contingent effects). I've seen this happen myself.

35 minutes ago, Waski said:

maybe some others?

i know this is just a list, but do not use petrification on auranic. if you time it poorly (read: before she uses endless assault) she will be permanently petrified and her scripting to let her use endless assault will never trigger. you will be soft-locked into the fight.

detonate is also an instakill that targets near death and causes an explosion if an instakill succeeded/ blessed harvest is a pseudo-instakill that affects bloodied or lower. i say "pseudo" because for much of the early game it is functionally equivalent to an instakill because of the damage it does (100-150).

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info TheLee! Glad I gave up killing her first! 🙂

True you can't deaggro the sigils, I experienced it myself, tried Arkemyr's Departure but even if you are very far away when you become visible again they will attack you as long as they are active. This works if the active sigil(s) deactivate(s) and then you become visible while far away from Auranic though. 

12 hours ago, thelee said:

not true. if you hit her with instakill before she has had a chance to use endless assault, it will do nothing (except trigger other instakill-contingent effects). I've seen this happen myself.

My bad, I think I confused it with killing her with dots.

• Thanks 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg