How does Unbending/Unbending Trunk work exactly?

I have 400+ hours in Deadfire and in all by my most recent playthrough, I pretty much ignored unbending/unbending trunk. On paper, it sounds okay, but not great. Here was my incorrect understanding: I take 100 damage, unbending trunk heals me for 33. Even if I assume it takes Might into account and assume I have 21 Might (makes math easy), I heal for 33 * 1.33 = 44, which results in a net damage of 56. Sure, the damage got reduced, but I still take quite a bit of damage.

However,I gave the ability a fair shot in my most recent playthrough and found that it basically makes you immortal lol (unless you get weakened/enfeebled I guess). On POTD upscaled, Eder would basically never drop below full health as long as unbending trunk was on. He doesn't seem to be healing for 33% or even 44% of the damage done; he seems to be healing for >100% of the damage done. One strategy I started using was to have Eder stack engagement, pop unbending trunk, get as many engagements as possible (close proximity), then drop missile salvo right on top of him. Not only would it wreck the bad guys, but would somehow super-heal Eder, and I have no idea why.

What is going on here? What are the actual mechanics for Unbending/Unbending Trunk? 

Here we go :

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/109535-mechanics-various-testing/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-2211923

But the true key to understanding is here :

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/109535-mechanics-various-testing/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-2213583

So basically, against sustained fire, you're indeed immortal.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh thanks, this is great @Elric Galad!

You briefly mention wall of draining in your first link. Do you think wall of draining is a good way to exploit unbending? If not, what are some good ways to exploit it? Some things that come to mind:
- Salvation of Time
- Really high int (maybe buffed even higher by +10 int from monk)
- Wall of Draining
- <insert something that restores discipline here>

27 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

Whoah, so it's much better than I thought! Is it worth even getting the upgraded version then - if the original ability heals so much?

15 hours ago, Yefo said:

Oh thanks, this is great @Elric Galad!

You briefly mention wall of draining in your first link. Do you think wall of draining is a good way to exploit unbending? If not, what are some good ways to exploit it? Some things that come to mind:
- Salvation of Time
- Really high int (maybe buffed even higher by +10 int from monk)
- Wall of Draining
- <insert something that restores discipline here>

Wall of Draining is indeed the best way to exploit Unbending. Every instance of Unbending's healing over time effect (which are usually very short) get prolonged endlessly as long as the Wall is up. That means a lot of parallel HoT instances that basically never end. So a Fighter/Bloodmage is the way to go if you want insane healing for an unlimited amount of time. It's possible to get over 1000 health per tick. As long as you don't get one-shot and as long as you can affect enemies with Wall of Draining you are immortal.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

Wall of Draining is indeed the best way to exploit Unbending. Every instance of Unbending's healing over time effect (which are usually very short) get prolonged endlessly as long as the Wall is up. That means a lot of parallel HoT instances that basically never end. So a Fighter/Bloodmage is the way to go if you want insane healing for an unlimited amount of time. It's possible to get over 1000 health per tick. As long as you don't get one-shot and as long as you can affect enemies with Wall of Draining you are immortal.

Can Salvation of Time substitute for Wall of Draining? If not, is it worth replacing a Druid for a Wizard for the Wall of Draining?

Edit: Never mind - the buff extension effect only works on the caster?

Edited by Lampros

Yes, Wall of Draining only works on the Wizard himself. So it would have to be a Fighter/Wizard. Best would be Bloodmage because he can cast Wall of Draining endlessly with Blood Sacrifice. 

If you want another party member to prolong your Unbending you need a Priest with Salvation of Time. But as long as the Priest doesn't have Brilliant it's not as impactful as Wall of Draining with a Bloodmage. But if he has Brilliant (e.g. from a Cipher buddy) then it can also be very impactful since the Priest can cast Salvation of Time over and over again (on himself to prolong the Brilliant inspiration and on others to prolong their stuff). 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Yes, Wall of Draining only works on the Wizard himself. So it would have to be a Fighter/Wizard. Best would be Bloodmage because he can cast Wall of Draining endlessly with Blood Sacrifice. 

If you want another party member to prolong your Unbending you need a Priest with Salvation of Time. But as long as the Priest doesn't have Brilliant it's not as impactful as Wall of Draining with a Bloodmage. But if he has Brilliant (e.g. from a Cipher buddy) then it can also be very impactful since the Priest can cast Salvation of Time over and over again (on himself to prolong the Brilliant inspiration and on others to prolong their stuff). 

But if you have a priest, he will be able to cast Barring Death Door with Salvation of Time : you won't even need unbending. With a source of Brillant, priest Can make your whole party immortal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elric Galad said:

But if you have a priest, he will be able to cast Barring Death Door with Salvation of Time : you won't even need unbending. With a source of Brillant, priest Can make your whole party immortal.

Yes, but Barring Death's Door naturally didn't play a role in my answer to the question whether Wall of Draining is the best way to abuse Unbending or not. 

• Like 1