Random video game news

Amentep

24 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Well, between those two videos, my own video hunts, and gamespots review ... I don't think I should get this game at full price (right now). Maybe if it was $40.  Unless I'm just morbidly curious about all these bugs and rig performance, and screenshots, ofc.  I've certainly bought games for less reasons, occasionally.  :lol:

I think my main issues (personal ones) is still that I'm not into urban/city environments, whether real life or fantastical. Everyone keeps saying how awesome the game looks, but outside of all the reflection/lighting and some face/chr and animation tech, the environment (graphically, some textures, art-style) is kind of blah, for me.  It's not all that. Edit: not liking environment would make it hard for me to feel immersed, if that makes sense. The desert stuff I like better but I gather most of the game is in the city.

Anyway...seems like a modest-sale or wait a few months, title.

Someone is hard to please

What I'd like to know is why they would not allow reviewers to show their own footage until today, but it's still before most can play the game.  If you're going to put a restriction like that, why not have it go all the way to release time, not just day? Otherwise what's the point of the restriction?

10 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

Someone is hard to please

I own almost zero games with city/urban environments as the main focus - apparently I like trees, grass, and open skies, so if that makes me hard to please, I guess so.  :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

What I'd like to know is why they would not allow reviewers to show their own footage until today, but it's still before most can play the game.  If you're going to put a restriction like that, why not have it go all the way to release time, not just day? Otherwise what's the point of the restriction?

I own almost zero games with city/urban environments as the main focus - apparently I like trees, grass, and open skies, so if that makes me hard to please, I guess so.  :lol:

I see a nomad start in your future... When the game is on sale of course.

The footage thing is really weird... Especially because it was just a few days that people couldn't use their own video footage... Weird

Don't get me wrong, either ... there's still a part of me that wants it as one of those performance-gauging type of titles (Keanu doesn't hurt either).  It's largely why I bought Control, too. 😄 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh, well, I guess some streamers can play/broadcast it early.  Maybe that's why re: restrictions.  Cohh's streaming it on Twitch.  Guess I'll watch some.

Edited by LadyCrimson

54 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I'll delay my judgement of that until the day 1 patch actually drops 😄

This.

I think it's all well and good that reviewers want to give a heads-up on the bugs that they've encountered but the ones that are hung up on it knowing that they aren't playing the same version of the game that the rest of us are getting seems disingenuous to me.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

This.

I think it's all well and good that reviewers want to give a heads-up on the bugs that they've encountered but the ones that are hung up on it knowing that they aren't playing the same version of the game that the rest of us are getting seems disingenuous to me.

From what I've seen at least some of the bugs are consistent/persistent - same ones in footage from many players - which means it hopefully shouldn't be too hard to isolate and fix them fairly quickly, even if it's not quite on Day1 for all of them.

28 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

This.

I'm a bit annoyed by this aswell, given how digital distribution and day 1 patches are par for the course nowadays.

24 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

From what I've seen at least some of the bugs are consistent/persistent - same ones in footage from many players - which means it hopefully shouldn't be too hard to isolate and fix them fairly quickly, even if it's not quite on Day1 for all of them.

Yup, they did report alot of improvements from their day 0 patch, so it'd be fair to say more are on the way. I'm not expecting a perfect day 1 patch though.

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Galaxy just downloaded a 9.7GB update for Shadowrun without magic 2077

I have a feeling it might be an "epilepsy" patch.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I'll delay my judgement of that until the day 1 patch actually drops 😄

True. But having a day 0,1,N patch be that significant is a sign a delay wouldn't have hurt. Would certainly make having my slow connection less annoying 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

True. But having a day 0,1,N patch be that significant is a sign a delay wouldn't have hurt. Would certainly make having my slow connection less annoying 😛

True, but if we consider preloads and consoles it is inevitable to be forced to have a day one patch in some way shape or form. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yeah, at least in theory a day 1 patch only shows that they've been working on bugfixes since the game was 'locked' after going to physical media fabrication x weeks ago. No day 1 patch would imply that either the game is considered perfectly stable/ tested (as if any ever is) or that everyone went on holiday for 4 weeks once the game went gold.

It seems kind of weird on the face of it for download copies, but then the patches are integrated into that as they come out anyway (ie if you were preloading now, the 9.7GB patch is integrated into the download rather than separate).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

True, but if we consider preloads and consoles it is inevitable to be forced to have a day one patch in some way shape or form. :p

That is fine, but if the day 0/1/whatever patch is a saviour rather than just improving things, is a bit different.  In the end doesn't really matter much.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think one of the Obs forumites needs to stream this game. 👍  If I still had my set up, set up, I might've done it for a few hours. I'm boring tho.

Btw, I'm assuming I can't really post it here, but Cohh in the chr. creation menu re: bodily parts?  Utterly hilarious.

Let's just all chip in and buy it for LC. 😛

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, I bought a copy from GOG since the company I bought my CE from sent it out late today, so I will have an extra copy tomorrow or the day after :p

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

Mimimi, German studio behind Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, and Desperados 3 announced they themselves will be publishing their next game, currently named “Project Sweet Potato”. While not much is know about Project Sweet Potato it will be, like Mimimi’s two previous titles, a Real-Time Tactics game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I don't think anyone wants to see a frumpy old lady in a cat nightshirt missing shots and crashing into things while running around like a chicken in a game.  :lol:

PS Maybe Cyberpunk needs its own thread now?

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I don't think anyone wants to see a frumpy old lady in a cat nightshirt missing shots and crashing into things while running around like a chicken in a game. 

That can be your schtick on Twitch! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Can anyone recommend any decent PC-centric gaming news/reviews sites, channels, and whatnots? I mostly use this place for that but sometimes I want something a little more in-depth. Bonus points if it's not overly political or anything like that.

Unfortunately something like that might not exist anymore. Unless you are willing to hop with google translate through some japanese or central/eastern european sites 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

I don't think anyone wants to see a frumpy old lady in a cat nightshirt missing shots and crashing into things while running around like a chicken in a game.  :lol:

PS Maybe Cyberpunk needs its own thread now?

Pretty sure everyone wants to see that.

• Like 4

I'd start twitching for sure

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

My best guess would be that they're hoping most won't wait for the new footage reviews after seeing the old footage ones and since they wouldn't see the bugs being discussed, they'd downplay them in their heads, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws to make sense of it.

As for the reviewers, they can't not mention the bugs and recommending the game on the hope that the day 1 patch will fix a vague number of "most" bugs would feel disingenuous. Rolling half the patch out on the 2nd or 3rd review day and having it not apply retroactively certainly didn't make things better.

Not really surprised, but it seems the GOG servers aren't really ready for the load, I keep getting errors trying to download the last patch 😂

• Haha 1