Random video game news

Amentep

The EULA for CP2077 is a beauty.

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/user-agreement/

This is cute. So, the game’s got this ‘minimum age rating’ okay? So if ya wanna get into Night City — I’m tryna keep a straight face here — you gotta be above that rating. Usually, it’s 18+, but if, say, ya live somewhere that says 17+, and you’re only 17, then you gotta ask a parent for supervision. Seriously. Ya can’t make this up!

😂

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Lady raises epilepsy concerns about CP2077, people start sending her videos that trigger it, predictably.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From what I'm hearing they used flashes in Cyberpunk that are pretty similar to what doctors use to trigger a seizure for diagnostic purposes. That is such a strange thing to do, what are they gonna do next, cause motion sickness for the immersion.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Good guy Europe providing free medical diagnoses to Americans who could not otherwise afford it. :ninja:

In all seriousness, it's fortunate for both CDPR and their customers that this was caught while there are only a few hundred people playing the game, as opposed to tomorrow when there will be tens of millions doing so. I'm not particularly sensitive to any special effects in any sort of media, which made it all the more surprising that the Source engine* has turned out to be the only thing to induce problems (in this case pretty bad motion sickness) in me, in any video game.

* I did see some footage of HL1 or one of its spinoffs that caused issues too, but I can't classify that as having played a game. Still interesting that even poor quality YouTube video doesn't affect the effect though.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

30 minutes ago, Sarex said:

From what I'm hearing they used flashes in Cyberpunk that are pretty similar to what doctors use to trigger a seizure for diagnostic purposes. That is such a strange thing to do, what are they gonna do next, cause motion sickness for the immersion.

Yep, surprised it was not brought up in QA.  Then again, given the bugs this has, maybe there was no QA 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Cmon, half of the games have flashes that can cause trigger of epilepsy. Its warning pretty much on any game these days

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hm, watching CDPR fanboys with this release makes me realize Star Citizen's release is going to be a spectacle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Hm, watching CDPR fanboys with this release makes me realize Star Citizen's release is going to be a spectacle.

Or non-release, as it were 😏

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

12 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Or non-release, as it were 😏

Well, whenever it comes.  I feel it'll end up more like Jonestown.

Looks like Acti-Blizzard had a hit with Shadowlands - https://www.wowhead.com/news=319757/world-of-warcraft-shadowlands-becomes-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time

Rather enjoying it myself, there's always something to do so far but isn't too grindy to me. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

The fact that the countdown has received a "Less than 2077 minutes to go before release...."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 minutes ago, Raithe said:

The fact that the countdown has received a "Less than 2077 minutes to go before release...."

And then that long again to download the patches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Release... riiiiight.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Kinda sucks that I'll have to wait until 2022 for the Steam release. On the other hand, I can be pretty sure that the game will work flawlessly via Proton by then. Also, CPUs and GPUs might even be available by that time... maybe.

Anyway, I'm going Suit Only Stealth Assassin all the new locations on Master Difficulty eventually.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Yep, surprised it was not brought up in QA.  Then again, given the bugs this has, maybe there was no QA 😛

They probably outsourced it to reduce cost and considering the salaries in Poland they probably went with Ethiopia. Joking aside (I'm sure Ethiopia has good QA workers) but you get what you payed for and they probably haven't payed much for QA, or they changed the game drastically last minute.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sarex said:

They probably outsourced it to reduce cost and considering the salaries in Poland they probably went with Ethiopia. Joking aside (I'm sure Ethiopia has good QA workers) but you get what you payed for and they probably haven't payed much for QA, or they changed the game drastically last minute.

Buggines of games usually have 0 correlation with QA work, I am pretty sure their bug tracker is pretty full

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 minute ago, Chilloutman said:

Buggines of games usually have 0 correlation with QA work, I am pretty sure their bug tracker is pretty full

That assumes QA team is good and resourced, no ?  My company is too l337 for QA.  Sort of explains a lot....

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

sure, but considering what reviewers mention are pretty obvious issues, I doubt no-one noticed till now...

8 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

There is no way they haven't gotten around to fixing bugs after this much dev time. It's either understaffed/bad QA or last minute code changes.

there is always last minute code changes :)

• Like 1

It's bad. Empty city, ugly NPC's that don't say a word, colors are grey and bland, there is no music and sounds are dreadful. The car is piece of crap, I preferred to go on foot. And that's just me going to the shop to pick up the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Hmmm 1

166215__front.jpg