Random video game news

Amentep

14 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

The only thing that I hated about RDR2 was that it was "ultra realistic" for cleaning yourself and your horse... You had to eat and bathe... Yet you could get shot in the head 5 times and be alright.

Imo there was a huge disconnect between combat and the rest of the game....  Also the missions were extremely linear,. If you diverge from the plan whatsoever the mission failed... Which I think is the only real knock against its openness 

That's been Rockstar's Modus Operandi since GTA IV, sacrificing heavy themes (a bit) for heavy simulation.

Edited by ComradeMaster

30 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

That's been Rockstar's Modus Operandi since GTA IV, sacrificing heavy themes (a bit) for heavy simulation.

I dunno....  I didn't get that feeling from GTA.  The equivalent would be having to gas up your car.  San Andreas you could be fat/skinny/buff but it wasn't done in a realistic way.

I can't really think of anything realistic about GTA.  

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the next GTA had you gassing up your car

Edit: I didn't see you also quoted the second half.  Yeah I guess the world is open... But the story is not...  Which is half of what I think an open world is

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Like 1

Cyberpunk PC won't have AMD ray tracing on release or for quite some time.  If anyone cares about that. I'd guess there will be other games with this situation as well as they all shuffle to "work with AMD."

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2077-wont-support-raytracing-on-amd-cards-at-launch/

On 11/20/2020 at 12:44 PM, Keyrock said:

(citybuilder game video)
Gives off Caesar and Pharaoh vibes.

That's potentially interesting.  Wonder what it brings to the table that's new/different, to make old farts like me want to buy it vs. just playing ... Caesar and Pharaoh. Edit: I have HD/resolution mods for the old stuff, so that's not a reason.  😄

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not strictly game news per se, but some talk around the RedEngine and how it was re-designed for Cyberpunk, as collected and repeated by one of those youtube personalities..

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Seeing some of the "early pre-reviews" of folks who got to play with the 16 hour chunk pf Cyberpunk 2077, one thing that jumps out is the "This is not a first person shooter, this is an rpg" comments. Just made me wonder what response Alpha Protocol would have had back in the day if people had remembered that and those assorted reviewers and critics had kept that in mind.

• Hmmm 3

That's always going yo be an issue in any FPS RPG. How do you handle stats and skills vs shooter mechanics? Borderlands handled it by having skill upgrades be nearly meaningless (e.g. +0.5% damage). :p

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

Just made me wonder what response Alpha Protocol would have had back in the day if people had remembered that and those assorted reviewers and critics had kept that in mind.

At the same time from what I heard/read combat in Cyberpunk seems to be functional. The context to “its RPG not shooter” generally has been: “I played hours without engaging in combat”. Same can’t be said about Alpha Protocol, were combat systems are rough and frustrating, and are also frequent and unavoidable. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

At the same time from what I heard/read combat in Cyberpunk seems to be functional. The context to “its RPG not shooter” generally has been: “I played hours without engaging in combat”. Same can’t be said about Alpha Protocol, were combat systems are rough and frustrating, and are also frequent and unavoidable. 

True enough. One of the comments was roughly "It took me around 5-7 hours to run through the prologue with the way I was playing, and I hardly ever pulled my gun during that time."

Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw founds new studio with EA and Ubisoft veterans | PC Gamer

Mike Laidlaw, former creative director for the Dragon Age series, has founded a new studio in Québec City with Thomas Giroux, Jeff Skalski, and Frédéric St-Laurent B. Each is a game industry veteran with over 15 years of experience.
The new studio, called Yellow Brick Games, is looking to take a "back to basics" approach to game development "centered on the pleasure of crafting new game experiences, in a flexible and more personable environment that an independent studio can provide,” said Giroux, Yellow Brick Games' CEO. Laidlaw acts as chief creative officer, Skalski, who served as Senior Producer at EA and Ubisoft, is the studio's COO and executive producer. Frédéric St-Laurent B, who has worked as a game director for Ubisoft Quebec over the last decade, now serves as game director on Yellow Brick Games' as of yet unannounced first project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

That's always going yo be an issue in any FPS RPG. How do you handle stats and skills vs shooter mechanics? Borderlands handled it by having skill upgrades be nearly meaningless (e.g. +0.5% damage). :p

I always liked the way it was handled in STALKER. Gear is the only place you can find stats, and the difference in raw damage between the best and worst guns isn't huge. Throw in artifacts augmentations to spice up gameplay and add variety but avoid lazy "+50% bullet resistance" nonsense. Sadly, even STALKER had exoskeletons that made you substantially resistant to gunfire, while providing next to no protection from anomalies... because reasons. Skill upgrades can be limited to non-combat stuff for all I care.

Never been a fan of contrivances like drunk aiming in Deus Ex or VATS, or the obligatory super rare death ray that necessitates that cheaper weapons hit like wet noodles.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So who'd been paying attention to this ?

https://www.futuregamereleases.com/2020/11/cyberpunk-2077-to-become-one-of-the-most-expensive-games-in-history/

https://www.somagnews.com/cyberpunk-2077-the-most-expensive-game-of-all-time/

Do not get it wrong; Cyberpunk 2077 will be the most expensive game for developers, not gamers. Because according to Dimboss’s calculations, Cyberpunk 2077 will cost $ 314 million for CD Projekt Red. Therefore, although the game does not reveal a price increase for gamers, it will be a rather “expensive” game for the studio.

No matter how high the cost, Dimboss does not expect Cyberpunk 2077 to be a game that will upset its developer. Cyberpunk 2077 will have sold 21 million copies by the end of 2020, and a total of 34 million copies within a year after its release, according to analysts. If these predictions are correct, CD Projekt Red will earn over $ 2 billion in the first year of Cyberpunk 2077, excluding in-game purchases.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

https://www.pcgamer.com/empire-of-sin-review/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-11-30-empire-of-sin-review-intoxicating-but-overwhelming

Looks somewhat mixed.  Worth getting on 75% off in...6 months maybe.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

17 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Looks somewhat mixed.  Worth getting on 75% off in...6 months maybe.

Also:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/30/empire-of-sin-review/

I am still keenly interested in it, but I did cancel my pre-order. Mostly sounds good to me, combat did seem rather dull and bullet spongey in previews as well. With bugs fixed, some patches and modding support it might be quite good.

Remember when everyone was all about the "you can choose your dong size"? Now the first previews are out and nobody talks about it anymore. Hmmm.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."