Random video game news

Amentep

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Does anyone know if any of the updates to Phoenix Point eased the loading times a bit? Loading was really slow for me back when I played right after it came out.

Yes. I complained a while ago and uploaded a video of my 3 minutes long loading time. Last time I played the worst loading time was about a minute. Still, I hope to have an SSD before I try PP again. 

Edited by Wormerine

That’s so obvious AI am angry at myself AI never thought of that as potential next IO project.

Considering that recent Hitmans were great Bond games, I have high hopes for this one. I wonder if they reuse the formula or try something new. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 3

Now I want a new NOLF. 😢

• Like 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

57 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Considering that recent Hitmans were great Bond games, I have high hopes for this one. I wonder if they reuse the formula or try something new. 

I would expect it to be pretty different gameplay wise, since Bond is less about stealth and disguise and more about suave and sophistication. It will be great if they can pull it off. Obviously they know how to create a great map and they've got the atmosphere down.

• Thanks 1

Latest Night City Wire claimed a bunch of previews or reviews of CP 2077 would be online after the stream (which is now), but they didn't specify from which sites. So, keep a look out if you're interested.

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Now I want a new NOLF. 😢

Talk about a series crying out for a remaster. We'll probably never get it, nor a sequel, nor a prequel, nothimg. Such a great series destined to vanish into obscurity because it's stuck in some kind of hellish IP limbo. It's not fair.

Supernatural-Dean.gif

• Sad 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

27 minutes ago, Oner said:

Latest Night City Wire claimed a bunch of previews or reviews of CP 2077 would be online after the stream (which is now), but they didn't specify from which sites. So, keep a look out if you're interested.

Also a bunch of new trailers on their channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/CyberpunkGame/videos

19 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Talk about a series crying out for a remaster. We'll probably never get it, nor a sequel, nor a prequel, nothimg. Such a great series destined to vanish into obscurity because it's stuck in some kind of hellish IP limbo. It's not fair.

Supernatural-Dean.gif

It'd be amazing...

I'll tell you this much, I'd probably never have given Alpha Protocol a chance if it wasn't for NOLF.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm not sure what a NOLF is, but Keyrock gets major points for using a Dean .gif

Also, is there some place that explains why Cyberpunk is so super-hotly anticipated? I watch the released gameplay/trailers and it just looks like the typical car/rpg/action game.  What's so extra-exciting about it, something about gameplay design/tech? The company making it? Big promises of some kind?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Also, is there some place that explains why Cyberpunk is so super-hotly anticipated? I watch the released gameplay/trailers and it just looks like the typical car/rpg/action game.  What's so extra-exciting about it, something about gameplay design/tech? The company making it? Big promises of some kind?

Apart from people expecting the same bar (or more!) of quality as The Witcher 3 in terms of writing/quest design, atmosphere, attention to detail, etc; they're offering reactivity similar to an Obsidian game but with the budget of a modern GTA.

20 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've been wondering that myself, Cyberpunk an outdated 1980's setting (back when it looked like the Japanese market was going to take over).  I guess European nationalists see CDPR as their national treasure considering Witcher 3 was so successful so people naturally want to root for the up-and-coming underdog from their home turf.  As an American, I just see it as another GTA/COD clone based off of the trailers.

No One Lives Forever - oh, that one. I bought it but never played it beyond the intro or something. :)

Cyberpunk dev's made TW3?  I suppose that makes some sense then in terms of anticipating a similar quality of game then, seeing how popular TW3 seems to be.  That's yet another game I rapidly lost interest in/didn't get far with, myself.  Haha.  😊  

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

I've been wondering that myself, Cyberpunk an outdated 1980's setting (back when it looked like the Japanese market was going to take over).  I guess European nationalists see CDPR as their national treasure considering Witcher 3 was so successful so people naturally want to root for the up-and-coming underdog from their home turf.  As an American, I just see it as another GTA/COD clone based off of the trailers.

I can assure you that is not it. There is nowhere near that amount of camaraderie in Europe. I think that it's the mystery of it, Witcher 3 had no small amount of success and that together with the small amount of information they gave about the game in the previous years created a hype that fed upon it self.

I think them not managing expectation is going to bite them in the ass.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

22 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

No One Lives Forever - oh, that one. I bought it but never played it beyond the intro or something. :)

Cyberpunk dev's made TW3?  I suppose that makes some sense then in terms of anticipating a similar quality of game then, seeing how popular TW3 seems to be.  That's yet another game I rapidly lost interest in/didn't get far with, myself.  Haha.  😊  

086.png

Edited by Azdeus
wrong link >_<
  • Like 1

I don't really see GTA in Cyberpunk. Just because you can drive around and stuff, doesn't mean it will be "like GTA" or something. Especially since R* games are always 110% on the rails and don't allow for any free decision-making. Just because there is a city and cars, doesn't mean ... yadda-yadda.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The narrator sounds very familiar.  Ah hah, it's Bowman from GR Wildlands

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Azdeus    coh-nyah1.png   I honestly don't even remember why I didn't play NOLF.  I remember thinking it looked cool but I was probably still obsessed with some other game or three and never got around to it.  Unless it was one of those I couldn't get running. That happened a bit more often back then.  I'm pretty sure I at least started the game and ran around a bit or something.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Unless it was one of those I couldn't get running.

NOLF was hard to get running, and went through a phase of being near impossible a few years after release. Early Lithtech was a bit unstable, and didn't age well.

Ironically considering that its contested IP means it's unlikely to get a re-release it's way easier to get running now than it was 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

GTA is basically the original open world modern setting game, so I think that is why you are getting that comparison. 

GTA was a fun top-down shooter with a lot of laughs but a modern... oh, wait. You mean those GTAs. 🤮

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

GTA is basically the original open world modern setting game, so I think that is why you are getting that comparison. 

Hmm, both Shenmue and GTA3 released in 1999, I think. I'm not sure which one released earlier that year.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I played NOLF2 but not the first one, even though I bought a boxed copy of it later. A pretty banged-up boxed copy on clearance at Kmart, but still. I dunno why I even remember that. Thinking about it, I think it might still be the last single-player FPS I've played, if I exclude hybrids like Deus Ex and Dishonored. Last multiplayer one is probably Borderlands 2.

Dunno about the GTA comparisons because the last time I tried the series, I got to the part in San Andreas where you had to ride a bike - I think that was within the first half an hour - and rage quit. I managed a few hours with Vice City prior to that, but alongside with trying the GTA1 demo, that's essentially the sum total of my experience with the series. I can see a Sleeping Dogs comparison I guess, especially the thing about it looking like it's mostly at night.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I think in some parts it's also the nostalgia kick for the original Cyberpunk RPG.

Cyberpunk 2013 was published in the late 80's, pretty much jumped into the zeitgeist of William Gibson, and the evolution of Bladerunner from failed cinema release to cult classic. It was one of the earliest "hard cyberpunk" rpg's, and as I recall, its generally ranked in the top 10/ top 20 lists of role-playing games over the last few decades. The company behind it went on a hiatus for about a decade, and then didn't do anything new for Cyberpunk.

So there's a surprising core of now mature gamers with lots of disposable income and fond memories of playing this when they were teenagers, who were left unsatisfied when the 2nd generation of the game pretty much ended a metagame arc with serious potential world changing elements.

Cyberpunk 2077 is picking up where their old dreams and hopes have been left hanging for 20 years. ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."