Random video game news

Amentep

Found this in spam from two days ago:

Dear Backer,

Good news! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is coming to Steam and other PC and Mac platforms a week earlier than planned, on December 3, 2020. Why the move? There’s no reason to be coy about it  — we moved to avoid the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk 2077. 

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I am interested in Mass Effect remaster as long as its on steam or gog as I never played the last one and honestly I pirated the first two (Hey I was young and broke) 

Re - Tomb Rider HD - just look at those juggs, i loved that as kid xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

On 11/7/2020 at 7:24 PM, ShadySands said:

I was actually hoping for some new and different content

Me too, but it's EA....

Still, I hope they rework ME1 mechanically at least a bit, double down on the Mako jank while they're at it, remove Kai Leng and placeholder weapons/actions in cutscenes from ME3. That's not too much to ask, right? Right?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Let's drop the moral posturing, shall we? We both know there's no altruism in this pursuit.
Your reckless indignation led you here - I
counted on it.
There's no
shame in it, Raziel - revenge is motivation enough.
At least it's honest.
Hate me, but do it honestly." - Kain, Scion of Balance

37 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Because of Cyberpunk 2077?

Nah, it's because I can't be allowed to have a wuxia RPG (I should look into some Korean games, I guess). Why make a second wuxia RPG when you can make the 87675679404th Tolkien-esque high-fantasy RPG? Bio will remaster Anthem before they so much as think about a sequel to JE.

32 minutes ago, elohinen said:

That's not too much to ask, right? Right?!?

You're asking for too much.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

30 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

@WormerineI remember when I first saw that trailer... I still don't believe that footage is real gameplay. Anything with Sun Wukong has my interest, that's for sure.

I doubt Sun Wukong will have romance options.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

32 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I still don't believe that footage is real gameplay.

I agree. It looks far too good for the stage the game is supposed to be in.

Why JE2 hasn’t been made with all the advancements in action-RPG genre is beyond me. Still, I wouldn’t want to see what modern Bioware/EA would do with it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, melkathi said:

Good news! Phoenix Point: Year One Edition is coming to Steam and other PC and Mac platforms a week earlier than planned, on December 3, 2020. Why the move? There’s no reason to be coy about it  — we moved to avoid the juggernaut that is Cyberpunk 2077. 

Jokes on them! Empire of Sin comes out on Dec1st. And while combat of EoS seems rather dull, the integration of strategic/tactical level seems to be exactly what I was missing in “XCOM-like” releases in the last couple years. 

Never seen the appeal of Jade Empire 2. JE1 was KOTOR reskinned with theme part China, I wouldn't expect anything else from Bioware for a sequel. Asian settings from a western studio will also be seen as, sigh, 'problematic' nowadays by the offendatrons on twitter, and Bioware listens to them.

OTOH, I'd sell my left kidney for a 'Monkey RPG', especially if they used the wonderful TV series theme song that I've had semi permanently stuck in my head since the mid 80s.

Fair warning, once that theme is heard it can never be unheard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

How in the world is this the first time that I've heard of this TV series? I am so ashamed. I am 100% watching this show, it's even got my boy Zhu Bajie doing Zhu Bajie things (mainly lusting after women).

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

4 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Never seen the appeal of Jade Empire 2. JE1 was KOTOR reskinned with theme part China, I wouldn't expect anything else from Bioware for a sequel.

How so? It was Bioware’s first dive into action RPG hybrid, rather then point and roll a dice affair. Granted it wasn’t great - combat was quite awful, but that’s why sequel would make so much sense. Especially after Dark Souls, which managed to combine stats and player imput really well. JE is a fantasy setting, so they can pivit the tone. I wouldn’t mind something “Last Airbender” inspired. 

Bioware isn't going to make that game though, and that's just reality. Same as they didn't make a Dragon Age successor that built on what was done right with Origins and fixed what was done wrong; they did DA2 and DAI instead. If they make JE2 it will be in the same vein as ME: Andromeda/ DAI; basically an Ubisoft 'open world' RPG lite with lots of SP MMO type content. Or, god forbid, they'll trying doing something 'different', like Anthem.

I really did not like Jade Empire at all though, so I am certainly biased. It would be easily my worst regarded game that I actually finished, and it felt interminable at times despite it being only ~16 hours long. Probably because I'd played KOTOR recently and every NPC seemed to be a cloned KOTOR one.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

How so? It was Bioware’s first dive into action RPG hybrid, rather then point and roll a dice affair. Granted it wasn’t great - combat was quite awful, but that’s why sequel would make so much sense. Especially after Dark Souls, which managed to combine stats and player imput really well. JE is a fantasy setting, so they can pivit the tone. I wouldn’t mind something “Last Airbender” inspired. 

ME3 combat was fairly good, but it took them 3 games to get there. And then Andromeda wasn't as good. I'd expect a Bioware Souls-like to be downright terrible gameplay-wise. Several first few iterations, at least.

A SWTOR 2 is never going to happen, but if DA4 and the new ME aren't bombs, we may yet see a KotOR 3.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

15 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

I am interested in Mass Effect remaster as long as its on steam or gog as I never played the last one and honestly I pirated the first two (Hey I was young and broke) 

I'm sure it'll be on Steam, just like most of EAs games now... but you'll also need Origin. :p

8 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Tang Sanzang is totally his bottom.

Well, that's obvious why else would you put up with an annoying immature immortal for?

• Thanks 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

On 11/9/2020 at 12:52 PM, melkathi said:

Found this in spam from two days ago:

Dear Backer,

Wonder if backers will get their promised Steam keys, no mention about that anywhere that I could find. Sounds like Gog backers are getting shafted though.

Par for the course for Snapshot Games, at this point.

Edited by marelooke
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I'm sure it'll be on Steam, just like most of EAs games now... but you'll also need Origin. :p

what?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"