Random video game news

Amentep

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Turns out, putting out a vidja game is a non-trivial matter, especially one as large and complex as Cyberpunk 2077. Also, this may be the most hyped vidja game release since GTA V, so the company is, understandably, under INTENSE pressure and scrutiny. 

Star Citizen backers need to use this line of attack. 😛

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It also depends, on how big chunk of all stock on market you get for said price.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not that I'm interested in this game personally, but...

Godfall PC system requirements:
(from this article: https://www.pcgamer.com/godfall-pc-system-requirements/
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel Core i5-6600
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB or Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    RAM: 12GB

Recommended  (based on video below, it's theorized this is for 1080/60)
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or Intel Core i7-8700
    GPU: AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8GB or Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    RAM: 16GB
--------------------------------------------------

Video: At the 1:18 mark:
"We're using 4kx4k texture sizes and 12GB VRAM to play at 4k."  (assuming with "ultra" everything on like raytracing etc)

Yup, I knew this rig wouldn't last me as long as the previous, with new consoles coming out.  Probably only 4-5 years vs. 8+.  Not for 4k gaming anyway.  Hoorah.  🤪

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I wouldn't be overly concerned about VRAM, AMD (and their partnered games) will always imply that you need lots of it because having more is an AMD point of difference vis-a-vis nVidia; especially now when perhaps the main criticism of the 3070/80 (apart from general availability) is low VRAM.

I'd suspect the raytracing on the 2080Ti is going to become obsolescent first, which is always a risk for a 1st gen tech.

29 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about VRAM, AMD (and their partnered games) will always imply that you need lots of it because having more is an AMD point of difference vis-a-vis nVidia; especially now when perhaps the main criticism of the 3070/80 (apart from general availability) is low VRAM.

I'd suspect the raytracing on the 2080Ti is going to become obsolescent first, which is always a risk for a 1st gen tech.

Oh, I don't care about raytracing at all yet, I've seen nothing about it that makes me interested they'll have to improve and utilize it a lot more first.  And I'm sure you could run in 4k with a lot less vram if you turn some settings down, per usual etc.

The main point is AAA and maybe "AA" "recommended requirements" in the next few years are likely to skyrocket in general, even if they're at times a bit exaggerated - vs. the past long period of us being used to hardware requirements going up pretty slowly for a long while. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I could be wrong, but my guess is that any 4K 2D 60 fps video environment is never going to push VRAM much past 16GB or even up to that which has been available for years, but VR could potentially.  The other question I always have is the generation of RAM that the cards use, new generations of RAM should mean that 8GB does more than the previous version of 8GB ... but not really sure but I work in video editing and we often see a lot of 5K and up video footage at 24 fps and realtime playback is easily possible with 16GB of VRAM (even with realtime effects which you could consider similar to live rendering), and the new Mac pros for video editing already offer 64 GB Vram if you have the money along with 1.5TB of standard ram ... so yeah I think they are all prepping for actual VR 3D environmental experiences at this point ... otherwise I don't know what the hell you need 64GB Vram and 1.5TB of actual ram, though the glutton in me says I need it ...

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

On 10/30/2020 at 6:41 PM, Azdeus said:

@Gizmo might not be the same person that I spoke with back on the Bethesda boards right before Fallout 3 was released, where we pretty much agreed about player/character separation and were disagreed with by just about everyone..

Oh it's me alright; good times. 

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

I'm puzzled as to why someone went through the trouble of remastering these, is there really demand for Enhanced Edition BloodRayne games? I mean, they weren't bad games, but they aren't beloved classics either. Unless they redid the controls and combat, they're going to be clunky by today's standards. Maybe they're making a BloodRayne 3?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well Ziggurat is slowly remastering lot of older titles, some of them even less popular than BR 🤷‍♂️

On 10/29/2020 at 7:40 AM, ComradeMaster said:

Over a video game, a hobby.  Glad to see gamers haven't changed much in 20+ years.

What a joke. Imagine CyberPunk, a video game for crying out loud meaning so much to you that you would kill someone over it. Insanity. 

1 hour ago, Oner said:

*shameless plugging for an acquaintance begins*

*shameless plugging for an acquaintance ends*

Are you Chicken enough? I watched the whole thing, pretty good! Now if I can plug something perhaps a visit to my Minsc thread? Starting from page 1  🥳

9 minutes ago, StupidSeal said:

What a joke. Imagine CyberPunk, a video game for crying out loud meaning so much to you that you would kill someone over it. Insanity. 

People are like that sometimes. Back when Take That split up there were 14-year-olds commit suicide over it, writing letters of farewell stating that without them they have no reason to continue living.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Oner said:

*shameless plugging for an acquaintance begins*

*shameless plugging for an acquaintance ends*

Also available on GoG 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 7:13 PM, bringingyouthefuture said:

I could be wrong, but my guess is that any 4K 2D 60 fps video environment is never going to push VRAM much past 16GB or even up to that which has been available for years, but VR could potentially.  The other question I always have is the generation of RAM that the cards use, new generations of RAM should mean that 8GB does more than the previous version of 8GB ... but not really sure but I work in video editing and we often see a lot of 5K and up video footage at 24 fps and realtime playback is easily possible with 16GB of VRAM (even with realtime effects which you could consider similar to live rendering), and the new Mac pros for video editing already offer 64 GB Vram if you have the money along with 1.5TB of standard ram ... so yeah I think they are all prepping for actual VR 3D environmental experiences at this point ... otherwise I don't know what the hell you need 64GB Vram and 1.5TB of actual ram, though the glutton in me says I need it ...

Yeah, I don't know about game development techie stuff to even guess.  But it's probably partly going to depend on how well/effectively and comprehensively they implement high-res. textures, draw distances, and certain types of effects (ray tracing maybe?) as well as how effectively game engines deal with such. At least for some types of games.

10 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Yeah, I don't know about game development techie stuff to even guess.  But it's probably partly going to depend on how well/effectively and comprehensively they implement high-res. textures, draw distances, and certain types of effects (ray tracing maybe?) as well as how effectively game engines deal with such. At least for some types of games.

I'm not an expert on the stuff but I still feel like I should point out that processing small portions at a time is faster than processing a whole world. That's where smart design comes into play and you have a string of beautifully rendered small areas connected to each other. Specs matter only insofar as good design needs them to do, all else is just marketing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

4 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

I'm not an expert on the stuff but I still feel like I should point out that processing small portions at a time is faster than processing a whole world. That's where smart design comes into play and you have a string of beautifully rendered small areas connected to each other. Specs matter only insofar as good design needs them to do, all else is just marketing.

But only until Quantum Computer is integrated into gaming 💻

Do you guys know how much more complex and amazing MMO and online games can potentially become ....I dont see it playing a major role in single player games because of how the PC technology always grows at an amazing rate for single player games but your online gaming experience should change in a hugely more advanced way....you just need the games to take advantage of QC 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But only until Quantum Computer is integrated into gaming 💻

Do you guys know how much more complex and amazing MMO and online games can potentially become ....I dont see it playing a major role in single player games because of how the PC technology always grows at an amazing rate for single player games but your online gaming experience should change in a hugely more advanced way....you just need the games to take advantage of QC 

Ahh, I imagine a glorious future where kids will feel the pain of online gaming DSL gaming every time their quantum computer connection goes down because their sister made a tweet.

• Haha 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

On 11/3/2020 at 1:29 PM, Keyrock said:

I'm puzzled as to why someone went through the trouble of remastering these, is there really demand for Enhanced Edition BloodRayne games?

They should be remastering Nocturne instead. 

Edited by Gizmo

"Because we keep screwing up with new games, we're going to give you old ones..." 

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition?

For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects and technical features of three enormous games. Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form. It's been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements. As game developers, we always hope that our games will transcend their original platforms. Having the opportunity to remaster the trilogy means that the fruits of a decade of our work will live on, and will be experienced better and clearer than ever before.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will include single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs - all remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD. It will be available in Spring 2021 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. More information to come in the new year!

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."