The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

Some observations about the end of The Expanse season 5.

Spoiler

They included a way to remove Alex, but I think the actor was only investigated after they finished filming. Maybe they did some reshoots?

I was really surprised they showed that thing on Laconia. If I'm not mistaken, it was only revealed much later in the books.

There was one more big thing that happened in book 5 but was not mentioned in the show, except in vague hints. Some people on Reddit already put the pieces together tough.

Don't miss the scene at the end of the credits.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

The Alex thing felt odd and came out of the blue. They had enough time to reshoot the few scenes, though. The investigation was probably done quickly, we just didn't hear about it, because that's really not much of our business.

Considering season 6 will be the last one, it makes sense they are upping the pace of the remaining stuff in the books.

/Edit: Apparently there is speculations about a spin-off show now, which would then probably deal with all the Laconia related stuff.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

black sails

still have so many feeling and opinion about this show trapped inside due to lack of ability to express them clearly

escalation and growing sense of dread of later season are fascinating but more exhausting than first two season

hope for show of this quality about Indian ocean piracy some day

4 hours ago, Lexx said:
  Hide contents

The Alex thing felt odd and came out of the blue. They had enough time to reshoot the few scenes, though. The investigation was probably done quickly, we just didn't hear about it, because that's really not much of our business.

Considering season 6 will be the last one, it makes sense they are upping the pace of the remaining stuff in the books.

/Edit: Apparently there is speculations about a spin-off show now, which would then probably deal with all the Laconia related stuff.

The book authors said there was never a proposal to Amazon to adapt beyond book 6. So the show was not really cancelled. According to them, Alcon is commited to the story and they believe they will eventually adapt the remaining books. The possible reason is that

Spoiler

books 7-9 take place 30 years after book 6. With better technology in the show, the characters won't look 30 years older, but they will still look older and so the actors must age before they can film the rest of the story. Maybe they don't want to use special effects.

As for Laconia, if you don't mind a minor spoiler

Spoiler

The Laconians will have to establish on a new world and build all the infrastructure without any external resources or more supplies. They layed a minefield in their gate and said they don't want anyone moving in. So not even the Free Navy is supposed to send them any supplies. It will take a considerable amount of time until they can come out to do anything, if that is what they want.

As for those outside, the Free Navy doesn't seem interested in their system and the others would have to deal with the Free Navy before even looking for the martian deserters.

Laconia will only be relevant on book 7 and later. It's part of the main story, so it can't be the spin-off. Unless it is about they settling the new world. I wouldn't mind that.

sign.jpg

Space Sweepers on Netflix: 

Hm.  I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it felt a little disappointing.  Some great visuals (mostly in the first and last 30 minutes) and some ok to charming group dynamics but kind of a jumbled mess. Also fairly generic, like taking some pieces from better movies to emulate.  I did like how language was used in the film where outside of the main S. Korean stars, most talking in their own language (some kind of 'universal translator' concept I guess?) at each other so one group is speaking French while the other is still using Korean, vs. Star Trek's translator with the audience only hearing English, if that makes sense.  The middle hour drags and could have cut 15-20 minutes without anyone missing anything.  Maybe a 6/10. Considering S. Korea hardly ever deals with sci-fi, not a bad attempt but they still have some learnin' to do.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

TNG again. MASTERPIECE SOCIETY was pretty rubbish, with Troi acting out of character in a poorly done romance (if they needed one, which they didn't, why not use the scientist and Geordi?)

CONUNDRUM was a step up from the recent episodes, but has some silly moments and the fake crewman went to mustache twirling villain quickly. Ro-Riker-Troi was fun. 

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

22 minutes ago, Amentep said:

(if they needed one, which they didn't, why not use the scientist and Geordi?)

Geordi's really into holograms of scientists, not actual people, but you should know that from like, the third season. :p 

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

44 minutes ago, majestic said:

Geordi's really into holograms of scientists, not actual people, but you should know that from like, the third season. :p 

Well he wanted to try and hit it off with the real Dr. Brahms, but that didn't work so well. So he's not completely adverse to non-hologram romance.;)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^ The start of Booby Trap had Geordi on a hologram date with some crew member - except she rejected him, which is probably why he found Ms Hologram so kewl.  Rebound!  Did they ever show him having a gf in even a one-off episode? I can't remember.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

^ The start of Booby Trap had Geordi on a hologram date with some crew member - except she rejected him, which is probably why he found Ms Hologram so kewl.  Rebound!  Did they ever show him having a gf in even a one-off episode? I can't remember.

There was this episode where he suddenly became super confident because some alien nervous system he was linked to (alien later turned into an energy being). He was quite the charmer then, but no, not unless you count the future presented in All Good Things where he's married to a "Leah" where the assumption generally is that he finally managed to wear Leah Brahms down. Heh. Oh Geordi, when you fondle the Enterprise, you fondle me!

Yeah so THAT is a part of TNG that aged incredibly poorly.

Much of that was maybe because he was probably supposed to be gay, or at least bisexual. First season has him leering at an aged up Wesley Crusher. Hey Wesley, not baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Yeah, creepy. Creeeeeeepy.

Poor Geordi, always the butt of everything.

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Made it into season 4 of BtVS in my re-watch. Still being amused by spotting the likes of Wentworth Miller, Pedro Pascal, etc as background students / victims / monster lackies.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Sinner season3 is on Netflix now!  Matt Bomer is in this one.  1st episode seems as good as ever.  *binge hat on*

Oh, I also kept watching Cobra Kai, giving it a longer chance. I started to kinda like it more for a bit but then my interest flagged again - I quit after episode 9.  Even with nostalgia elements - just not for me.

don't know where to put this

just finished knights of everflame season 1

first time watch through so much tabletop rpg

still didn't feel ready for 100 episode of critical role

player are very good at role playing

last episode are emotional tense and have unexpected dark turn

Edited by uuuhhii

Finished last season of Expanse. It felt like they could made this whole season in 3 episodes and nothing of value would be lost

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

On 2/6/2021 at 6:29 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Space Sweepers on Netflix: 

Hm.  I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting, but it felt a little disappointing.  Some great visuals (mostly in the first and last 30 minutes) and some ok to charming group dynamics but kind of a jumbled mess. Also fairly generic, like taking some pieces from better movies to emulate.  I did like how language was used in the film where outside of the main S. Korean stars, most talking in their own language (some kind of 'universal translator' concept I guess?) at each other so one group is speaking French while the other is still using Korean, vs. Star Trek's translator with the audience only hearing English, if that makes sense.  The middle hour drags and could have cut 15-20 minutes without anyone missing anything.  Maybe a 6/10. Considering S. Korea hardly ever deals with sci-fi, not a bad attempt but they still have some learnin' to do.

Yes, everyone had a translator. Except for the girl.

And that is right, the middle really drags. I remember pausing before watching half of the movie and noticing there was still over an hour left. But I can't remember that much happening in all this time, since it was the part where

Spoiler

they found out they were negotiating with the father and after that there was basically the sequence of going to the meeting place and dealing with the bomb.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg