The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

17 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I know you're joking but the sex of the leads doesn't matter at all with the exception of one very specific type of "movie."

Shady are you sure that is what you feel,  because she is a huge part of the character. She is perfect and I also cant imagine another person playing the role and she only gets better

Sometimes we need to make a stand and expect that character if reasonable ?

• Confused 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, ShadySands said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

My point was that I don't care if the story is about a man or a woman because you brought up some silliness about that.

Okay but its an unusual way of making a point because we were discussing the Queens Gambit so I assumed you were saying that character could be a  male which wouldnt work for me

But a different show we might watch later you dont mind either gender? I generally prefer men as the main actor  but a women must be in the show somewhere 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

No, I don't care if a movie or show is male or female lead. I just want it to be entertaining and hopefully good.

Yes I understand your view and my point is I prefer a male character because I always subconsciously chose a show with a male 

John Milton 

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Barti !!! This a very serious and well respected forum and you suggesting sexual innuendo  ....I am disappointed but I have to say she really is a great actress and beautiful. I thought initially it was a true story 

Uh, okay, but no, I did not. All I said is Anya Taylor-Joy has been a great actress in the titles I've seen her in.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I saw like a few minutes of Queen's Gambit so I can't judge it, but if Taylor-Joy brought even a quarter of what she did to the VVitch then it'd probably be worth watching. First tho I'm going to dive into Sweet Home and see how K-horror works in a tv show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

20 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Uh, okay, but no, I did not. All I said is Anya Taylor-Joy has been a great actress in the titles I've seen her in.

Barti you sounding very guilty....you can be honest....no judgement ;):biggrin:

John Milton 

So Marvel Legends is just a clip show. I guess I should have looked it up before putting it on.

Also, A Discovery of Witches season 2 has started so that should make my wife happy even though it's a weekly show.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

So Marvel Legends is just a clip show. I guess I should have looked it up before putting it on.

Also, A Discovery of Witches season 2 has started so that should make my wife happy even though it's a weekly show.

discovery of witches s02 seems to be released all at once

might give it a try

give up on season1 after 2 episode

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Great,  I also like Discovery of Witches :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Lupin just started up on Netflix.

Which is in French, so you'll likely need the subtitles to watch. Its a modern day interpretation of the story of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Thief.

The whole first episode is that fuzzy, not really showing the key storyline, letting you think you've seen something and understand what's going on only to have it peeled back in the last 15 minutes or so.  I'm curious where it will go for the 2nd and then on episodes.

So if you enjoy the concept of a highly skilled thief given to false identities, switch-a-rounds, manipulating people, and doing it all with that dash of style and French commentary it might be worth a try.

Edited by Raithe
  • Thanks 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

40 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

If I watch a movie on Netflix do I write about it in the streaming thread or the movie thread? 

por que no los dos?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

43 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

If I watch a movie on Netflix do I write about it in the streaming thread or the movie thread? 

Both.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

e65.gif

Anyway, I watched Julie and Julia and enjoyed it unless the husband was eating. I couldn't stand watching him eat. Drove me crazy for some reason.

Edited by ShadySands
I meant Chris Messina and not the great Stanley Tucci #TucciGang

Free games updated 3/4/21

Finished watching Sailor Moon R. Onwards to Sailor Moon S.   

Way back during the first run S was my favorite season. I wonder if that changed, because this time I didn't really despise Chibi-Usa. She occasionally got annoying, sure, but it's a far cry from how much I wanted her to be gone from the show 25 years ago. Eh, or just how much it annoyed me that she came back later. Hotaru Tomoe is

such a broken bird woobie that 14-year-old me immediately liked her. You just want to hug her and tell her that everything will be all right, who cares if she's actually the reincarnation of Sailor Saturn and so powerful and dangerous that even the Outer Sailor Senshi (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) want to kill her.

Anyway, as I said before, R dips a bit into grimdark territory. It begins on a bright note and unlike in the first season where the only bad guy to redeem himself died immediately we start R with the two filler-invented Tree Aliens and their renewed Doom Tree that peacefully leave Earth after realizing the error of their ways. Then Sailor Moon transforms the four Phantom Sisters who were the mainstay bad guys of the first half of R's regular arc, and they actually survive.

Only to have the show then start playing redemption equals death straight as they come. Rubeus and Esmeraude die because they chose to fight, and Saphir and Dimande die because they realized they were manipulated by the... eh, great name here, Death Phantom. Only Chibi-Usa, who was transformed into Black Lady to bring about the end of the world, survives her ordeal, but technically she wasn't redeemed as much as freed of brainwashing (like Mamoru in the first season, although he died there too... well, everyone did and came back, so that doesn't count).

The final few episodes spend a while in Crstal Tokyo, the future city, after it was attacked by the Dark Moon clan, in a scenery that might as well be lifted from any other post apocalyptic animated show. Everything's bombed out, people are either implied to have died in droves or are frozen for all eternity. After failing to stop the bad guys or wake up Neo-Queen Serenity, Chibi-Usa falls to the dark side, becoming Black Lady, and joins the Death Phantom.

They all return to their normal time to stop the enemy's attempt to use Black Lady to cover the world in darkness, a prelude to Death Phantom destroying the entire universe. Talk about upping the stakes here.

Anyway, in the middle of this... bleakness, the five Sailor Warriors stand in front of the Dark Gate and go forth towards the final battle, their possible death, the end of the world and the universe as we know it. Grimly determined they march on, until Ami stops for a bit and says:

"Thank you for everything. I wish we could go eat cake one more time. I... wanted to say that, just in case." The others look at her and Rei tells her not to worry, that everything will be all right and that they'll go have a cake afterwards, and Makoto suggest they should go for the all you can eat buffet from a couple of episodes before. Usagi really loves the idea, to which Minako just says "Usagi, you'll gain weight."

I can't think of too many shows where an exchange like that in a situation like this can work. It's so silly and yet perfectly normal for Sailor Moon to have dialogue like this. 

Watching the Japanese original with subtitles is a riot.  know it's shallow and stupid, but I lost it every time someone on the voice cast tried to say Sailor Pluto. They did fairly well calling Chibi-Usa "Small Lady" but Sailor Pluto just came out SERA PRUTO every time. I sit here grinning like an idiot just thinking of it. No wonder Chibi-Usa just calls her Puu.           

Black Lady is also a lot less intimidating when everyone calls her BRACK RADY. Heh.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Finished watching Sailor Moon R. Onwards to Sailor Moon S.   

Hide contents

Way back during the first run S was my favorite season. I wonder if that changed, because this time I didn't really despise Chibi-Usa. She occasionally got annoying, sure, but it's a far cry from how much I wanted her to be gone from the show 25 years ago. Eh, or just how much it annoyed me that she came back later. Hotaru Tomoe is

such a broken bird woobie that 14-year-old me immediately liked her. You just want to hug her and tell her that everything will be all right, who cares if she's actually the reincarnation of Sailor Saturn and so powerful and dangerous that even the Outer Sailor Senshi (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) want to kill her.

Anyway, as I said before, R dips a bit into grimdark territory. It begins on a bright note and unlike in the first season where the only bad guy to redeem himself died immediately we start R with the two filler-invented Tree Aliens and their renewed Doom Tree that peacefully leave Earth after realizing the error of their ways. Then Sailor Moon transforms the four Phantom Sisters who were the mainstay bad guys of the first half of R's regular arc, and they actually survive.

Only to have the show then start playing redemption equals death straight as they come. Rubeus and Esmeraude die because they chose to fight, and Saphir and Dimande die because they realized they were manipulated by the... eh, great name here, Death Phantom. Only Chibi-Usa, who was transformed into Black Lady to bring about the end of the world, survives her ordeal, but technically she wasn't redeemed as much as freed of brainwashing (like Mamoru in the first season, although he died there too... well, everyone did and came back, so that doesn't count).

The final few episodes spend a while in Crstal Tokyo, the future city, after it was attacked by the Dark Moon clan, in a scenery that might as well be lifted from any other post apocalyptic animated show. Everything's bombed out, people are either implied to have died in droves or are frozen for all eternity. After failing to stop the bad guys or wake up Neo-Queen Serenity, Chibi-Usa falls to the dark side, becoming Black Lady, and joins the Death Phantom.

They all return to their normal time to stop the enemy's attempt to use Black Lady to cover the world in darkness, a prelude to Death Phantom destroying the entire universe. Talk about upping the stakes here.

Anyway, in the middle of this... bleakness, the five Sailor Warriors stand in front of the Dark Gate and go forth towards the final battle, their possible death, the end of the world and the universe as we know it. Grimly determined they march on, until Ami stops for a bit and says:

"Thank you for everything. I wish we could go eat cake one more time. I... wanted to say that, just in case." The others look at her and Rei tells her not to worry, that everything will be all right and that they'll go have a cake afterwards, and Makoto suggest they should go for the all you can eat buffet from a couple of episodes before. Usagi really loves the idea, to which Minako just says "Usagi, you'll gain weight."

I can't think of too many shows where an exchange like that in a situation like this can work. It's so silly and yet perfectly normal for Sailor Moon to have dialogue like this. 

Watching the Japanese original with subtitles is a riot.  know it's shallow and stupid, but I lost it every time someone on the voice cast tried to say Sailor Pluto. They did fairly well calling Chibi-Usa "Small Lady" but Sailor Pluto just came out SERA PRUTO every time. I sit here grinning like an idiot just thinking of it. No wonder Chibi-Usa just calls her Puu.           

Reveal hidden contents

Black Lady is also a lot less intimidating when everyone calls her BRACK RADY. Heh.

I'm only like 2/3rds of the way through R, so from here on out, you're gonna be way ahead of me, I guess! The good thing is, it'll probably take long enough for me to get to to S and SuperS that if you spoil anything in them, I won't remember what it was by the time I get to it. Whereas in contrast, I literally just met Saphir and Demande and now I already know their fates...buuut they seemed to basically just be Dark Kings clones, so it was kind of predictable that'd happen anyways.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm only like 2/3rds of the way through R, so from here on out, you're gonna be way ahead of me, I guess! The good thing is, it'll probably take long enough for me to get to to S and SuperS that if you spoil anything in them, I won't remember what it was by the time I get to it. Whereas in contrast, I literally just met Saphir and Demande and now I already know their fates...buuut they seemed to basically just be Dark Kings clones, so it was kind of predictable that'd happen anyways.

I thought so, hence the spoiler tags. I mean, I know you don't care that much, but still, common courtesy and all. Who knows, maybe someone else on the board will have their interest piqued and join in watching a magical girl anime show. Come on guys, it's as manly as wearing tights.

😄

Just had to post after seeing that scene with the cake talk. Little things like that I no longer remember. I'm not even sure that dialogue was in the dub in that way, seems easy to "fix" that in dubbing and put in something thematically and atmospherically more consistent with the rest of the episode. I'd check, but there's no real way, the German dub has been stuck in license hell of a sort. It's on regular TV every now and then, but not really on any streaming service.

The remastered blu ray version is actually coming out tomorrow, it was originally supposed to come out way back in 2015, and someone thought they can cash in bigly. As much as I love the show, I'm not buying at almost 70€ per season.

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

@majestic I did a whole big research thing on the BDs vs. the DVDs. The consensus seemed to be that the movies looked better on BD, but all of the show looked better on DVD. Well, besides maybe Sailor Stars, there wasn't a lot of information on that one (yet?) from what I could tell. Strangely, it seemed to also be the consensus that the Italian DVDs had the best quality out of the various DVD sources. I'm not really sure why that would be.

I'll be sure to remember when that moment comes and see what they have to say in the English dub, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus