The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

Yeah, I'm going to watch it in 2 or so days / once I'm back home.

Hope they will go back to the roots of season 1, at least a bit.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Did mean to finally binge watch Mandalorian season 2. Somehow I ended up re-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 1.... 

• Haha 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

22 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

yeah man, burnt corpses, moms whose faces were literally melted off, starvation and depression...and diseased and dying siblings, totally what I'd have six year-olds watching, :p

They have to learn what the world is like eventually, sooner is better than later! 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If I still had access to SyFy, I would watch this for Alan Tudyk alone.  Although I'm sure SyFy will cancel it after one season.  :lol:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Binge watched (well, mostly) (Netflix) Bridgerton 8 episode series.  It's basically an alternative (eg, inclusive) period romance-drama. Not typically my thing, tbh, but was curious about it.

The first half was pretty great - classy, visually sumptuous, often low-key absurdly amusing - y'know, more that drier type of drama style, not the US rom-com sort.
But then the latter half started to feel more modern soap-opera, with lots of boring and overlong bed scenes and side plots that for me were not very interesting or amusing. I started FFWDing here and there.  Still, worth it, for the first half. Also, admittedly, Regé-Jean Page was very easy on the eyes.  :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Binge watched (well, mostly) (Netflix) Bridgerton 8 episode series.  It's basically an alternative (eg, inclusive) period romance-drama. Not typically my thing, tbh, but was curious about it.

The first half was pretty great - classy, visually sumptuous, often low-key absurdly amusing - y'know, more that drier type of drama style, not the US rom-com sort.
But then the latter half started to feel more modern soap-opera, with lots of boring and overlong bed scenes and side plots that for me were not very interesting or amusing. I started FFWDing here and there.  Still, worth it, for the first half. Also, admittedly, Regé-Jean Page was very easy on the eyes.  :shifty:

couldn't possibly follow any of those victorian dialogue without subtitle

never understand why there are so many victorian show and movie

ww2 spy seems to be the only british genre with similar amount of product

Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy. Watched Part 1 Siege and Part 2 Earthrise. Now waiting on Part 3 Kingdom to be released in May 2021 to finish off the trilogy. Each part is 6 episodes - 18 episodes in all. The cool thing about this series is it's basically a prequel and uses all the characters from the 1985 cartoon and Transformers movie. Siege is the War on Cyberton. Earthrise is when they leave Cyberton for Earth. Kingdom will be ? Who knows. But this was freaking awesome to see all the characters back from the 80s.

Finished Cobra Kai season 3 and I was not impressed. It seems like they turned the cheesiness up to 11 and it's staring to feel like a soap opera. Oh well...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Cobra Kai season 3. It felt like maybe half a season stretched out, in some ways it feels like a reset to make it into good karate dojos vs bad karate dojos instead of Danny and Johnny being a couple of dudes who can't let high school feuds go. Overall it felt less enjoyable than previous seasons in all respects and I was frequently bored with the episodes when they were retreading stuff they had done over the last couple of seasons. I'll probably watch season 4, but it's going to the backburner.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - season 4 (or season 2 part 2, it's kinda confusing) episodes 1-3. This continues to feel like a cw show where the producers said "cuss it", which is a good thing because it cuts down on a lot of the worst aspects and beefs up some of the better ones. I guess it's a shame they it cancelled, but hopefully they had enough forewarning to tie it all together unlike Marco Polo. It's also refreshing to see eldritch terrors not just be Cthulhu knockoffs so far, even the tentacled one is different than some ugly demigod who took a long nap.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I got through the first season (10 episodes) of the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, thought "wow, that was a supremely mediocre teen drama show with only a slight veneer of actually being dark but maybe the second season will be better". Got through about two more episodes: nope.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:04 AM, Bartimaeus said:

I've watched Lindsay Ellis' several hours-long Game of Thrones summary/analysis, and I'm pretty sure almost none of it would affect how I would watch Game of Thrones (I have not seen a single episode) since I didn't make any mental effort to specifically note any of the character progressions or plot points.

I don't know if quoting out of thread will give a notification, so just to make sure: @Bartimaeus :)

Just noticed I haven't really replied to your mention of Lindsay Ellis yet. I haven't seen her work on GoT yet, but I enjoyed her take on other things (I watched her videos on Transformers, for instance), and Axiom's End is on my list of to-read books, but that list is just as long as the list of films and shows I need to watch, so who knows when I'll get to that.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ghost of War, Netflix, film.

Hmm...went in expecting WW2 haunted house horror film.  Which it was, for most of the movie. I'm not sure what i thought of it.  Overall it's ok, I didn't FFWD anyway - altho if you're used to a few jump scares, not scary at all, more of a psychological thriller perhaps - but there's a strong performance by Kyle Gainer as the sniper.  Brenton Thwates (who was pretty good in Signal) didn't have much to do. When the twist started it wasn't unpredictable but my interest perked up quite a bit for reasons, and then ... one of those few cases where even as a B movie it might've been better served with maybe 10-15 more minutes with a bit more expansion on certain things. So one of those "could've been pretty good" things.

But at the risk of a conceptual spoiler, if you hate

The Usual Suspects or Jacob's Ladder

type of endings, you won't like this movie.  For such people, there, I saved you some time.  :shifty:

Edited by LadyCrimson

The depths actors can go to for a role...

Eq5WRATXcAIlcsB?format=jpg&name=small

Edit: Is that better?

Edited by Raithe

There should be "Star Trek Verse" and "Star Wars Verse" threads.  :p

I haven't watched anything Trek related in a long while, but I still have those OS and TNG Nitpickers guides in the bathroom and flip through those while doing my business. They were really the first series I spent so much time "studying", knowing names, history, and wanting to know all the ins and outs of the fake-tech and behind the scenes as well. I still have official "blueprints" of the ship somewhere.  Have never gone to that extent with any other series, ever.  Supernatural almost went there but was never quite realized.

Edited by LadyCrimson

So Staged is getting a season 2.

With a complete meta-twist.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/comedy/2021-01-04/staged-season-two-review/

While Staged season one was based on the premise that Tennant and Sheen (playing exaggerated versions of themselves) were rehearsing a play via Zoom, season two upends that premise from the start.

The first, 15-minute episode kicks off during a televised Zoom call with Romesh Ranganathan, who’s hosting “6 Months into Lockdown” (for those confused about when Staged season two is set, the clue is in the name).

In the call, he praises the actors for their latest TV show: Staged. “It did feel real,” he tells them, to which they demur and stress that the versions of themselves in Staged were entirely fictional (“Nothing like us at all!”).

Both Tennant and Sheen are keen to return to ‘real’ work and leave Staged behind, but as travel restrictions kick in and their respective flights are cancelled later in the episode, they’re presented with a new idea: a remake of Staged for American audiences. 

However, despite the episode’s meta twist, it’s clear that the show’s key elements (like the sweary, occasionally whimsical banter between Tennant and Sheen) haven’t changed. Nor has the show’s ability to attract big name cameos.

I have been watching 2 really entertaining series on Netflix and both of these series were produced by Nordic countries 

• Equinox is Danish and its a supernatural, suspense series and excellent 
  • Lilyhammer is set in Norway and its a comedy, drama ...really compelling. I cant explain why but its very easy to watch and recommended 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela