The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

Watched 2 episodes of "Alice in Borderland" on Netflix (Japanese, live action manga-based).  Banging start! I may binge the rest (6 more) tonight over pizza. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Haven't watched it yet myself (planning to, just haven't yet), but if you were at all interested in Showtime's "Your Honor" (w/Bryan Cranston) but not subbed to that channel, Showtime put up the 1st episode for free on YouTube so you can get a taste.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

So, that was the season finale of Discovery. Randomly. Guess it was mostly OK as an episode, as always the alt universe bits were a lot more fun than the real universe ones, and the 'cameo' might be a bit polarising, to some.

I sat there, thinking for a while what cameo you meant, but then it hit me. You mean Carl, right? :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Watched six episodes of Alice in Borderland.  The 3rd episode went dark, emotional, caught me largely by surprise and mildly depressed me in a way.  After that, it's still dark but more in line with what you'd expect from the thriller/horror genre. It's not a humorous show and more affecting at times than I was expecting.  Outside of a few obvious CGI moments it all visually looks great - some good camera work/framing.  Entertaining in a grim way.  Maybe it helps I'm watching at night in a dark room.  🙃

55 minutes ago, Lexx said:

a cube / hunger games clone.

It's not really like that at all ... although the Cube comparison would be closer than HG.  I did initially think it was just going to be a bunch of those puzzle-box room type scenarios, but every game is very different.  It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread and I'm not saying it's deep or anything like that but it has more ... heart? intensity? moody? not quite sure?  than most of the genre. Just me tho. 😄

Edited by LadyCrimson

At least the first episode is pretty much a copy of a "lightweight" Cube, though. :p

Anyways, first episode made me realize that this show is very likely not for me. Hey, but at least I tried, I guess.

Don't really know what to watch right now. So I restarted Rick and Morty, and to my surprise it still holds up, even when rewatching it. Guess that means it's a good show.

Also started watching this Big Mouth. Made it through season 1 - it's actually not that bad, but I Probably would like it more if I were like 15 years younger, dunno. It has some seriously gross moments, though.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My 13-year old daughter has been watching Big Mouth. At first I was like "This is inappropriate for you" but then I thought to myself, this is really going to hammer home the lesson that boys are gross. 

Of course, we watch Rick and Morty together, so I'm probably not the best at judging appropriate content.

• Haha 1

Warning, bad language (and more bad language)!

That said ... omg. Dunno if this short series will be good or not, but this trailer is gold.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 2:56 AM, Lexx said:

The Mandalorian s2 felt kinda short to me (was it shorter than s1??) 

8 episodes both seasons.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

26 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Sure, amount of episodes, but they don't all have the same length.

Yes, off-handed and without checking I agree. Season 2 seems to have a smaller average runtime, and it was for the better. This season was pretty good, the first one was really uneven with the occasional dip into dreck territory. The only episode I didn't like was the one Robert Rodriguez directed. That was almost painful to watch. Please don't let Tarantino do an episode next season. 😮

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Sure, amount of episodes, but they don't all have the same length.

If the internet is to be believed,,

S1: 39, 31, 37, 41, 35, 43, 41, 48

S2: 52, 40, 35, 37, 45, 32, 38, 44

S1: 315 min

S2: 323 mi 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Expanse S5E4

Spoiler

Somewhat of an improvement in pacing over the previous 3 eps. Still perhaps a bit too predictable for my liking- I was pretty sure that Gao was gonna bite it to get Avasarala back in the big chair, and that Tycho's tech chief was a traitor- but certainly cannot be criticised as just being set up with nothing really happening, rather the reverse. Really though, if they were going to do a 'The Boys' style release schedule this episode had to be included in the first tranche or the events distributed a bit better.

Edited by Zoraptor

On 12/22/2020 at 2:09 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Warning, bad language (and more bad language)!

That said ... omg. Dunno if this short series will be good or not, but this trailer is gold.

Should have had Ian MacShane as the host.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Minor thing that I just thought about regarding the timeline of The Mandalorian. Or rather, the age differences of the actors.

Assuming she was a teenager during Clone Wars, and that's really a stretch (she clearly not much younger than her sister, and her sister was the accepted Duchess of Mandalore at the time) she should still be roughly five to ten years older than Boba Fett. Boba was born what, ~32 BBY? Well, "born" - cloned as it were. So that makes him ~41 during The Mandalorian.

Bo-Katan has no real canon birthday (yet?) but if she was 18 during Clone Wars she's in her late 40ies, maybe early 50ies during the show. And that's a big if.

So... in-universe Bo-Katan who looks barely any older than 30 (Kattee Sackhoff is 40) is 10+ years older than Din, who is 5 or 6 years older than Katee Sackhoff in real life, and roughly the same age as Boba Fett who essentially looks the 60 years Temuerra Morrison has right now. Uhm... yeah.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Minor thing that I just thought about regarding the timeline of The Mandalorian. Or rather, the age differences of the actors.

Assuming she was a teenager during Clone Wars, and that's really a stretch (she clearly not much younger than her sister, and her sister was the accepted Duchess of Mandalore at the time) she should still be roughly five to ten years older than Boba Fett. Boba was born what, ~32 BBY? Well, "born" - cloned as it were. So that makes him ~41 during The Mandalorian.

Bo-Katan has no real canon birthday (yet?) but if she was 18 during Clone Wars she's in her late 40ies, maybe early 50ies during the show. And that's a big if.

So... in-universe Bo-Katan who looks barely any older than 30 (Kattee Sackhoff is 40) is 10+ years older than Din, who is 5 or 6 years older than Katee Sackhoff in real life, and roughly the same age as Boba Fett who essentially looks the 60 years Temuerra Morrison has right now. Uhm... yeah.

You're overthinking space wizards and pew-pew fights my dude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 12/23/2020 at 4:39 AM, Zoraptor said:

Expanse S5E4

Reveal hidden contents

Somewhat of an improvement in pacing over the previous 3 eps. Still perhaps a bit too predictable for my liking- I was pretty sure that Gao was gonna bite it to get Avasarala back in the big chair, and that Tycho's tech chief was a traitor- but certainly cannot be criticised as just being set up with nothing really happening, rather the reverse. Really though, if they were going to do a 'The Boys' style release schedule this episode had to be included in the first tranche or the events distributed a bit better.

My problem with it is that we seemlingly get into Game of Thrones territory where every storyline gets 5 minutes of playtime and that's it for todays episode.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

My problem with it is that we seemlingly get into Game of Thrones territory where every storyline gets 5 minutes of playtime and that's it for todays episode.

I read the books and even so I can't stand the waiting.

Btw, the authors implied the show is not exactly cancelled after season 6. They called it a pause. They said the studio is very commited to the story so there is a chance they can adapt the last three books, that happen after a time jump, in the future, when the actors are a little older.

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

Expanse S5E4 (minor spoilers)

Spoiler

Yes, and they didn't even show Drummer for half the episodes including this one. The plot threads are/ were clearly related except perhaps Amos in Baltimore, but even so there are simply too many of them. However, the disjointed/ separated nature of the plotlines is a lot less of a problem and the pacing feels a lot better when things are happening than when they're all in set up mode.

"Watched" The Midnight Sky, not a very good movie. Aside it being, not that good, CGI galore, it's also a story that has been done so many times. The movie is utterly predictable and unimaginative. I did fast forward through most of it so take what I said with a grain of salt.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP