The TV and Streaming thread Series 3

Amentep

I finally jumped into The Witcher on Netflix, and I am pleasantly surprised. The games can super bleak, so I have to be in a certain mood to play them. But halfway through Season 1, the show has been delightful. Yennifer and Geralt are much more engaging than their digital counterparts, and the story seems easier to follow than the 3 games. Honestly Yennifer's origin story makes me way more interested in her in the game. It is charming and funny in a way that the game doesn't always manage. I'm excited for a second season. 

On 11/14/2020 at 4:01 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Hope you enjoy it. I wasn't sold for the first few episodes, but started loving it after the first handful. Childhood memories are a fragile thing, and a lot of stuff just doesn't hold up...but some things prove to be an exception.

This one seems to be so far. I'm at episode 10 now, Sailor Mars appeared and if I'm not entirely mistaken that means Jadeite is kind of done for in an episode or two. I'm loving every second of it, although I kind of am looking forward to the point where they tone Usagi down a bit (or Bunny as she was called in our dub version too - except ours wasn't mangled liked the DiC dub). Definitely not looking foward to Chibiusa showing up.

Oh, and someone recently posted Bernd das Brot: Nerd Party with English subtitles on YT:

;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

what the heck was that lol

Glad you're enjoying it. Poor Jadeite, though: some of the villains in Sailor Moon get a pretty raw deal, to be honest. It's a shame that real life evil people don't usually backstab each other as much as fictitious villains do, :p. Early on into season 1, I was actually getting kind of horrified (and amused) by Sailor Moon's body count - she kills like 15 women throughout the first half of the season! Specifically women, too - I don't think she ever directly kills a guy ever.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

18 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

what the heck was that lol

Bernd das Brot was created for a German kid's TV channel (KiKa - Kinderkanal - literally children's channel). The shows where he shows up, especially the ones made for the nightly loop where the station's technically off the air but keeps repeating a Bernd sketch and the parodies of films, books or fairy tales are simply genius. They're silly, colorful and full of slapstick for the children that are supposed to watch them, but Bernd's general disposition, his dialogue and the writer's use of puns and absurdist humor were clearly targetet at adults.

It's most evident in one of the film parodies called Kasten (box). It's a parody of Cube and the protagonists wake up locked in a square room with no knowledge of how they got there.

• Like 1

Finished up Season 4 of The Good Place. It ended well. It was a pretty special comedy, and I think 4 seasons is probably the perfect length. Some of these sitcoms (hard to call this a situational comedy) tend to drag on too long. Great cast, smart writing, and a fun premise. I will miss it. There is word about a spinoff with Shawn and The Bad Place. That could work.

• Like 2

watched Raised by the Wolfs... all I can say are 2 things

1) should have been made before he ruined Alien franchise

2) he is really off his meds

and by he I mean Ridley Scott

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

13 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Finished up Season 4 of The Good Place. It ended well. It was a pretty special comedy, and I think 4 seasons is probably the perfect length. Some of these sitcoms (hard to call this a situational comedy) tend to drag on too long. Great cast, smart writing, and a fun premise. I will miss it. There is word about a spinoff with Shawn and The Bad Place. That could work.

enjoy the first two season the most

most show does run far too long

the worst part is they have to drag a few episode of awful main story in every season

Edited by uuuhhii

Started watching "The Devil Punisher" via Netflix. Another Taiwanese series I think. It's a fantasy/action/low-keyromance, with a version of heavenly reapers who deal with spirits who don't want to leave earth (ghosts, basically) with, ofc, a central "big bad" overall plot as well as  episodic ghost-ing. Or something. The effects look pretty nice and every time there's action and ghost/spirit stories, it's fairly entertaining, sometimes humorous.  But inbetween is the usual over long and rather sedate dialogue/chat scenes that pad out time. It's just a script/filming style they have.  But I like it enough to put up with FFWDing thru any boring bits.  😄

Sadly it's not finished "airing", so only 4 episodes available out of 20. Guess I'll have to save up the rest to binge a couple months from now. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Very entertained at the moment with a plethora of great series that include Rookie, 2 x FBI ( both **** Wolf  directed ), SWAT,  Blue Bloods and the very interesting Good Lord Bird which claims to be historically accurate and tells the story of the violent abolitionist John Brown 💻

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Very entertained at the moment with a plethora of great series that include Rookie, 2 x FBI ( both **** Wolf  directed ), SWAT,  Blue Bloods and the very interesting Good Lord Bird which claims to be historically accurate and tells the story of the violent abolitionist John Brown 💻

rewatching the rookie

all the cast have to leave force plot still painfully obvious

one of the few show can handle many hard tone swing in pretty much every episode pretty good

• Thanks 1

I'm about ten episodes into Sailor Moon R. I don't remember who said it, but it has indeed fundamentally remained the same Sailor Moon of the first season. It hasn't been quite as ridiculously fun and humorous as the first season, but it's pretty close (and has only been getting better and better - like the first few episodes of the first season, things are seemingly just getting more ridiculous the more episodes I watch). My understanding is that I am only a few episodes away from the most hated character in the show being introduced - I can only hope that the new English dub did a good job with her and she's not nearly as annoying as in the original English or Japanese, but we'll see.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm about ten episodes into Sailor Moon R. I don't remember who said it, but it has indeed fundamentally remained the same Sailor Moon of the first season. It hasn't been quite as ridiculously fun and humorous as the first season, but it's pretty close (and has only been getting better and better - like the first few episodes of the first season, things are seemingly just getting more ridiculous the more episodes I watch). My understanding is that I am only a few episodes away from the most hated character in the show being introduced - I can only hope that the new English dub did a good job with her and she's not nearly as annoying as in the original English or Japanese, but we'll see.

I'm glad my "prediction" that you'll might grow to dislike it didn't come true so far (and 'twas indeed me who said it becomes less ridiculous but fundamentally stays Sailor Moon).

Minor caveat, the beginning of Sailor Moon R, i.e. the storyline with the Tree Aliens is filler made for the anime. It's really good filler. And... minor "spoiler", the conlcusion is really heartwarming fun. If I recall correctly. :)

• Like 1

I watched 3 episodes of Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun and it's definitely something, but I have no idea what it is or if I like it or just can't look away.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

12 hours ago, majestic said:

Minor caveat, the beginning of Sailor Moon R, i.e. the storyline with the Tree Aliens is filler made for the anime. It's really good filler. And... minor "spoiler", the conlcusion is really heartwarming fun. If I recall correctly. :)

That makes a lot of sense, since this storyline is absolutely pants (not that I mind - if anything, the opposite!) and I was struggling to see how it could connect to any sort of main plot unless the rest of the show was going to have no real plot, :p. I forget that anime can have filler due to being produced faster and in greater amounts than whatever source material it comes from. And yeah, I've already been able to tell that there's no way this is going to end up with the two aliens getting melted, they're just not evil enough and there's too much silliness between them (and hell, they haven't even actually tried to kill anyone - just drain people's energy).

(e): The most annoying part of this season has been that all the monsters seem to be incapable of speech...except that they keep repeating their names like they're dumb Pokemon. The Dark Kingdom monsters could all talk, and frequently did, so that's kind of a step down (especially since some of those monsters had hilarious lines). But if I'm already near the end of this storyline, then presumably this type of monster is going to go with it, and we'll have some other type with different mannerisms/rules for whatever's the next threat.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I don't know if she's going to be terrible for the rest of the show or not, but Mini Moon or whatever her name is had the most amazing introduction for a new character in a show with an already set cast that I think I've ever seen. Literally just dropped out of the sky from nowhere and with basically no warning, landed directly onto Usagi's head while she was in the middle of her 'perfect kiss', making her faceplant straight into the ground while also stealing the kiss (with a guy probably about three times her height...and age - cue Chris Hansen's "why don't you sit over there"), then pulled out a gun and shot Usagi square in between the eyes from point blank range. It's tough to get better than that, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know if she's going to be terrible for the rest of the show or not, but Mini Moon or whatever her name is had the most amazing introduction for a new character in a show with an already set cast that I think I've ever seen. Literally just dropped out of the sky from nowhere and with basically no warning, landed directly onto Usagi's head while she was in the middle of her 'perfect kiss', making her faceplant straight into the ground while also stealing the kiss (with a guy probably about three times her height...and age - cue Chris Hansen's "why don't you sit over there"), then pulled out a gun and shot Usagi square in between the eyes from point blank range. It's tough to get better than that, :p.

Chibiusa, also known as Sailor Chibi Moon, is the daughter of Queen Serenity and King Endymion.

I'll let you guess once what that really means just in case it wasn't painfully obvious enough. :p

• Like 1

Yeah, I think Chibusa hinted at that herself towards the end of the episode, and the show has pretty consistently stuck to the things it's 'hinted at' (sometimes more like 'openly broadcasted') so far. I'll have to figure out the details of how her sudden appearance came to be, but it'll probably be a few days before I get a chance, :(.

Edited by Bartimaeus

To venture back to streaming for a bit:

Is it some sort of requirement for YouTube Let's Players to be complete schlongs, or is it just my nephew who has the uncanny ability to enjoy the greatest piles of garbage that YT seems to have spewn out?

He's currently watching some Luigi's Mansion multiplayer footage an the guy's constantly complaining about how bad his team is - all the while he's consistently last in points, ghosts captured or whatever else the goal of the floor is.

Yeah. Maybe it's you, not your team, you complete son of a prostitute?

People have wildly varying ideas of "not terrible" streamers, and sometimes to their credit, I occasionally see one that doesn't seem reprehensible - but I'm just not that interested in watching other people play games to begin with, especially not for long periods of time. A few minutes-long focused skit video a la someone like Dunkey, okay, sure - a few hours of some guy or gal talking yapping over an entire game for a few hours, no sir, not for me. Luckily, I'm not being forced to watch other people stream, so that's okay - though I'll occasionally watch the top speedrun of a game I've recently played (though usually with lots of skipping if it's a longer game), but at least the good speedrunner streamers are usually quieter than your average loudmouth twitch streamer.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

People have wildly varying ideas of "not terrible" streamers, and sometimes to their credit, I occasionally see one that doesn't seem reprehensible - but I'm just not that interested in watching other people play games to begin with, especially not for long periods of time. A few minutes-long focused skit video a la someone like Dunkey, okay, sure - a few hours of some guy or gal talking yapping over an entire game for a few hours, no sir, not for me. Luckily, I'm not being forced to watch other people stream, so that's okay - though I'll occasionally watch the top speedrun of a game I've recently played (though usually with lots of skipping if it's a longer game), but at least the good speedrunner streamers are usually quieter than your average loudmouth twitch streamer.

I've stated that before I guess, but... how can I refuse a time like this to shill some more. I linked both of those copious amounts of time.

I only follow two gaming related YouTube channels - Joseph Anderson and Summoning Salt.

Joe puts tremendous effort into his videos and they go beyond mere reviews, and Summoning Salt makes wonderful speedrun documentaries. Joe also streams but I rarely watch unless it's a game I played myself. His run through Celeste is insane. Gotta admit, I get envious when I see him play.

I've seen some of Summoning Salt's videos before (most likely linked by you?), not as familiar with Joseph Anderson, gives off kind of a Matthewmatosis vibe.

I finished up Aunty Donna's Big Ol' House of Fun and I think I like it. It's not something I'd recommend if you don't like sketch comedy or have a strong affinity towards silliness though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands