multiplayer game Finding / Joining error and info for possible workaround

I posted this in the steam forum too but decided to add it here too.

I have 3 copies of the game / Xbox One edition / PC Edition / and Steam Edition
me and my daughter had a world going she would play on Xbox and me on steam from my PC.
when the Xbox update went live for the Sep update we found we could not connect to each others game any longer as this was a problem we tried our best to find a work around... what ended up working is i bought the PC non steam edition and installed that to another drive on the same PC. then the PC non-steam edition finds Xbox games just fine. I had to start over in her save (good thing she had the save on the Xbox) because it thinks I'm a new player but that's fine with me, we always store our equipment and stuff in a box before we save and quit anyway. I don't recommend every one go out and buy another copy but it worked for me.

But for the DEV TEAM my steam edition is still unable to find and connect to the Xbox games. I can open the steam edition not find her game close it ... open the PC copy on the same computer and find it ... close it and check steam copy again ... game not there. this is all from the same PC.

including a screen shot of my apps in the PC so you can see the two different installs.

groundedinstalls.png

This is a problem that I have had as well.  Can not find xbox players while on the steam client.  Thought I had found a work around at one point and did actually get to play with an xbox player while using the steam client one time, but then all my saves became labled "unknown" and I could never get it to connect to the steam client again.   

I also have both the pc version and the steam version of the game, so I feel your pain about the saves.  It is annoying, but I'm sure they will get it worked out as quickly as possible, the do have a lot on their plates.   The important thing is that we keep bringing these issues to their attention so the are aware of them.  

Hopefully you have summited a bug report with Obsidian about the whole incident, if not please do, I am sure they would love all the information you and  your daughter have gathered on the problem.  

Anyway, here's hoping it gets fixed soon so we can all play cross platform as we would like to.  The game is great, I'm confident they will work out all the bugs before retail release.  Hang in there everyone!  and remember!  It is "Early Access" always remember that!    Cheers!

Hey Donald! Thanks for sharing this additional information with us, and I'm sorry Grounded has been giving you trouble connecting to her through Steam. You are most likely able to see her game with the Microsoft Store version because the Xbox and Microsoft Store versions are essentially the same platform and aren't going through a different platform like Steam. 

That being said, the team is aware of players dealing with this issue, and they are working on improving and optimizing cross-platform games. Is your daughter the host of the world? If you host, can she see your game on Steam? 

In the meantime, I recommend checking into the following. 

Your daughter's Xbox profile is set to available or online and not hidden or private. 

Check your daughter's Nat Settings on her Xbox. 

Verify your Steam privacy settings regarding connecting to other players in games. 

Please let me know if either of these helped resolve this connection issue.