Radeon Thread

Zoraptor

I've got a Sapphire 6800 XT Nitro+ ordered. Now I just need a CPU... and a GPU waterblock, but I can at least run it with the stock fans until I get the waterblock... but not without a CPU. Kind of a waste to eventually take off what is a high quality triple fan cooler, but the PCB is top-shelf, and that's what I was really after. 2700 MHz (maybe even 2800 MHz) here I come! :wowey:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Pricing is so messed up I'm actually semi tempted to get a reference 6900XT since one is in stock here and it's NZD1750 (about NZD50 over direct MSRP conversion from USD which is fine; except for its inherent poor value/ halo pricing) and the 'alternative' is a 6800 nonXT at... $1400. OK, Nitro+ 6800 non XT so some premium to be expected but that's a pretty hefty difference compared to the ~3% mark up for the reference card.

But instead I'll just delay any upgrades until March/ April, and probably get a better experience from C2077 etc then as a bonus.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

What the hell is with these prices, seriously?

A 6800XT for 12000 SEK, or you can pay 14000SEK for a 6900...

I can't believe I'm getting of cheaply with getting an 3080 for 8000 SEK...

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yeah, here in Murica the scalpers have turned the pricing structure into a farce, so when I found a card at retail-ish prices, albeit the expensive price normally associated with a Nitro+, I jumped on it. Who knows how long this **** is going to go on?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I got my waterblock ordered from Aquatuning.us, which is Alphacool's US distributor. The great thing is that it's specifically designed for the 6800XT Nitro+. Other manufacturers currently only have reference 6800XT waterblocks. I could have almost certainly made a waterblock for a reference 6800XT work since the Nitro+ PCB layout is extremely similar, though not identical, but it's better to get a waterblock made specifically for my exact card. Shipping is brutal since it's coming from Germany, but such is life. 

I now have absolutely everything I need ordered. The CPU should come late December/early January, the waterblock early January, and the GPU... :shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Just got updated and the ETA for my Nitro+ is mid to late January. I wish it were sooner, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Just for the hell of it, once I got my ol Vega 64 out of the rig I laid it side by side with the 3080 replacement. Goddamn was the Nitro one big.

1057841625_Vega64Nitrovsrtx3080tufoc.thumb.jpg.8bd5bce3a73063750cfe253df055a01a.jpg

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, Keyrock said:

GPUs have gotten humongous in size. Compare those 2 beefy boys with this old beauty:

dQolpioZ4nUgMUc7YaWq93KYsufscFlNq5T9AhKz

I think the link is broken mate :(

19 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I think the link is broken mate :(

It shows for me. :shrugz:

Anyway, it's a picture of a Voodoo 3 3000. Hopefully this one works:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiEgmC4ETqMKdC0gb9rk_

Edit: Here's a bonus All In Wonder for your troubles:

Card_Pic.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I should go check through my wardrobes, I know I've got two Voodoo 2 cards around here somewhere 😁

• 2 weeks later...

My R7 5800X just shipped, it should arrive in a few days. Now I'm just waiting on my 6800 XT Nitro+ and the waterblock for it. I'm on the road and will be until the end of the month, so as long as they arrive by then I can FINALLY build my rig at the start of February.

/crosses fingers

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

Availability update: as of yesterday we have 19 (!) different models of RX6000 card in stock here, including reference 6900XT at MSRP + $35. Going by the continuing comments in the US and Europe we must be getting half the global supply of CPUs/ GPUs sent here for some reason.

6 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Availability update: as of yesterday we have 19 (!) different models of RX6000 card in stock here, including reference 6900XT at MSRP + $35. Going by the continuing comments in the US and Europe we must be getting half the global supply of CPUs/ GPUs sent here for some reason.

My local dealer has over 50+ Ryzen 5800's in stock. None of the others though.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumours that RDNA3 will include a 2x80CU Multi Chip Module top offering.

I'd be very skeptical of it being anything other than an absolute halo product, perhaps even done specifically so that they can beat nVidia's Hopper (rumoured MCM) and Intel to it. It makes way more sense to introduce MCM design to the Compute/ CDNA/ Instinct line first- better scaling, higher intrinsic CU counts, use HBM already- than consumer; though consumer lines' relatively puny profit margins would be more improved by MCM than the already hefty mark ups on the CDNA line and there's more tolerance for errors and teething problems in the consumer space. Plain old maths would suggest a USD2000 price tag- it is the equivalent of 2x6900XT, after all, and 2 perfect dies does not gain from MCM's implicit manufacturing efficiency improvement- even if they didn't have to use HBM.

I'd also be very surprised if MCM wasn't brought in as part of a new generation with new branding rather than Navi/ RDNA3, though there's still plenty of time for that to happen.

OTOH, the cache structure of RDNA2x is a pretty obvious intermediate step towards MCM, so it can't be that far off.

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

2 x 80 CUs? I hope you have 4 8-pin connectors handy and one beefy AF cooler.

Not an issue on the Nvidia end, I have 3 8-pin connectors on my 3090 and with fans at 100% it hovers around 60 degrees, and that's overclocked.

Edited by ComradeMaster

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

2 x 80 CUs? I hope you have 4 8-pin connectors handy and one beefy AF cooler.

RDNA3 is meant to have another 50% efficiency gain over RDNA2, so in theory a 2x80 card would have exactly the same power draw as a 6900XT. Assuming they're using a not quite cutting edge node (ie using 7nm/+/ '6nm') the thermal density would actually be less than a 6900XT so long as they aren't using some sort of novel assembly method (eg 'stacking', which AMD has a fair few patents for though they seem more geared towards APUs than GPUs).

Yes, it should definitely be 'could' above instead of 'would' as it requires a lot of things to fall into place properly, see below. The  realistic estimate is 50% architectural improvement, HBM, tight binning and some node based improvement to get maybe as low as 350W. I don't think power draw will be close to the biggest problem faced though*.

The doubling of efficiency above comes from recently AMD having significantly understated efficiency improvements. For 5700XT -> 6900XT the improvement was ~80% rather than the 50% claimed, once clockspeed and core counts are taken into account, and a bit more if you take the doubled VRAM into that account too; and from Vega to RDNA1 the gain was even higher. Add some node improvement from 7nm+/ 6nm and you can get to 100% gain and lower thermal density. There's still a lot of potential problems with that though; how VRAM will work, any interface chip taking up extra space and producing extra heat, the bus/ cache set up between the two cards, potentially even the physical size of the graphics card could be an issue too.

*Fundamentally the thing about power draw is that it's relatively easy to lower by simply setting the clocks lower in BIOS.

• 4 months later...

Interesting that it's hardware agnostic, I wasn't expecting that. In theory, that should work in its favor as far as adoption going forward. If you are a game developer, do you support an upscaling technology that only works on a limited subset of one brand of GPU, or do you support a technology that works on a larger subset of both (presumably all 3 if/when Intel GPUs become more prevalent) brands? Of course, in the business world nothing is ever quite that straightforward.

As per usual, I'll reserve judgement until it's out in the wild and there are independent benchmarks and, also, I can try it out myself.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this, given that it's manufacturer agnostic, but here seemed to be the most appropriate.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 4 weeks later...

The Fidelity FX Super Resolution source code was released today under the open source MIT licence.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸