Radeon Thread

Zoraptor

1 hour ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I stopped watching Linus and unsubscribed because of those thumbnails and titles. Linus: "AMD did not disappoint me". Also Linus: "I can't recommend them at these prices" vs RTX because streaming, RT, DLSS, etc...

To be fair, he's playing against The Algorithm. He does what he needs to do to get maximum profits out of each video he does, and that includes retarded thumbnails. He went through it on a WAN show some months ago iirc.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

That really doesn't excuse him in the least.

It does.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I stopped watching Linus and unsubscribed because of those thumbnails and titles. Linus: "AMD did not disappoint me". Also Linus: "I can't recommend them at these prices" vs RTX because streaming, RT, DLSS, etc...

Yeah that's the problem with these Youtubers, all the tech companies shower them with gifts and praises which kinda twists their honesty a little bit so I guess it's best to ignore the titles and focus on the actual content of their videos, which are actually pretty spot on.  It's just one of those "money and politics" type of deals that you have to learn to bypass and hit the numbers.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

That really doesn't excuse him in the least.

'Whacky' thumbnails drive clicks which is why more serious reviewers than Linus look like they're half a second away from outright gurning and the product they're reviewing just turned into Genghis Khan/ Marilyn Monroe. Videos will also always be over ten minutes long if at all possible because that hits the optimal monetisation bracket even if the subject matter doesn't really warrant the length. That's just the way they make money. If I was told I'd get a significant wage increase by pretending to be Amazed At What Happened Next I'd be perpetually surprised too.

• Thanks 1

Well, he has a bunch of employees working under him, so it is necessary to keep the money rolling in.

And as much as I dislike the thumbnails and headlines, he does deliver good content. He tore into the nvidia hard for calling the 3090 a "titan-class" gpu.

Gamers Nexus, Jayz2Cents, and Linus are all quality Youtubers but unfortunately in an industry riddled with cash and influence you simply have to chew the fat to get to the content.  That's just how it is right now.  Tech world is a cash cow and is still unrefined because it's not corrupted by centuries of corruption and influence like the oil and coal industry.

I don't think anyone posted it? Going to put guru's review links here for anyone who prefers to read over watch extended videos.  :p
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-review,1.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-6800-review,1.html

------------------
Re: that DLSS video with the airplane game: I saw that elsewhere. If you look carefully there are some differences - without DLSS, the color and contrast are darker and less yellow (in that video anyway), while DLSS has trees and ground shadows much less dark/contrast-y, which I personally disliked.  The grassy road/trees, the grass and flowers has a bit more clarity all around and a better green/blue shift without DLSS (vs yellower) where they have you focusing on the tree branch.  The plane looks a bit sharper with DLSS, as if it over-rides the softening effect of something like TAA (not saying that's what it's doing, just sorta what it looks like).  DLSS can also change some original artistic detail because (I think) of the way it removes then re-adds information. Example: intentionally sun-faded lettering may be darkened and less washed out with DLSS.  Not that that matters to most people, mind.  :lol:

Anyway, for the performance gain and the fact it looks really good, it's quite admirable/fantastic, but DLSS is still different than native. Better and different are not the same definition in my mind, so it depends on whether one likes the differences.  I think that's going to simply depend on eyeballs as well as monitor/TV used.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

DLSS 2.0 is a straight upgrade over TAA, but does have some of the same bluriness. Native has aliasing, and somehow DLSS did manage to add more detail than native to some shots, especially foliage and some of the distant objects. It's definitely not straight forward anymore which one is "best", as native doesn't beat DLSS everywhere in image quality. Performance is where the argument is won, because in a lot of situations, you aren't running these games at the quality settings you want without DLSS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

and somehow DLSS did manage to add more detail than native to some shots,

My understanding, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is that's because of the algorithm used to fill in "gaps" created by the downscale then re-upscale, or something to that effect. So the AI tries to replace info lost from the initial downscale with what it thinks "should" be there - resulting, like I said, in un-fading some graphics, different color shading/spots maybe even lines or other such things.  To many this equals more detail, or at least more visual "pop."

The sharpening thing is interesting since I bought the OLED.  On the LED/IPS screens, Death Stranding building text has a softer look - it's not out of focus, just soft.  DLSS would sharpen that (I could see a tiny bit of "sharpness grain" tho).  On the OLED, without DLSS on or any sharpening filters and exact same game settings, that text/other is crystal clear - the clarity is fantastic natively.  I have no idea why, if it's just the better contrast or the TV itself is simply uber better than my pc monitors in this regard (edit: most likely, I don't have super expensive pc monitors). Or if LED/IPS etc just tends to add more softness to visuals overall because of its light tech/screen material which begs for more sharpening.  Dunno. Anyway, hence my "depends on monitor/tv used" comment above.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

'Whacky' thumbnails drive clicks which is why more serious reviewers than Linus look like they're half a second away from outright gurning and the product they're reviewing just turned into Genghis Khan/ Marilyn Monroe. Videos will also always be over ten minutes long if at all possible because that hits the optimal monetisation bracket even if the subject matter doesn't really warrant the length. That's just the way they make money. If I was told I'd get a significant wage increase by pretending to be Amazed At What Happened Next I'd be perpetually surprised too.

Yeah, no... That is a way to make more money. It's pretty much just greed that pushes you to do that stuff. There are plenty of youtubers with integrity who don't do most, if any, of that stuff. They chose to go down that route, just like most gaming companies, for an example, chose to make games that will entice the most amount of people to buy it and those companies get much deserved criticism. Both do it because it's easier and I couldn't care less for either.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

https://www.inet.se/kampanj/6000/amd-radeon-rx-6000-serien

Well. No AIB cards for Sweden for a while it seems. Someone should fire that ****wit Frank Azor.

Jävla skit!!! 🤬

I'm guessing that the 6900 release is going to be the same.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin' hell;

https://www.proshop.de/AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-overview

Proshop has NINE (9), incoming 6800xts...

Edit;

I have to say that the price of those 6800xt AIB cards are ludicrous. The same or higher price than nVidia, with less features and worse RT-acceleration. What the hell.

Edited by Azdeus

On 11/25/2020 at 7:32 PM, Azdeus said:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin' hell;

https://www.proshop.de/AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-overview

Proshop has NINE (9), incoming 6800xts...

Edit;

I have to say that the price of those 6800xt AIB cards are ludicrous. The same or higher price than nVidia, with less features and worse RT-acceleration. What the hell.

I got a hunch the Radeon 7xxx cards will be the real killers, I think these 6xxx cards are more of a transitional phase than anything.

RDNA 2+/ 6000 series definitely has transition features towards MCM/ chiplet approaches, eg the massive cache.

Personally I'd suspect that the switch to MCM is a big enough one that they'd rename the architecture from RDNA when switching, and '7000 series' has consistently been referred to as 'RDNA3', coming 2021. I'll freely admit that's a pretty tenuous strand to draw a conclusion from though. But I'd expect low hanging fruit to be picked, which will give decent efficiency and performance boosts, but nothing revolutionary.

(maybe some tensors added as a proof of concept for MCM? they've got them in the new CDNA cards so I guess it depends on the use case and how the purported dlss competitor ends up performing/ working)

Edited by Zoraptor

And now there's a sequel video complaining about the frequency being BIOS limited so he can't go even higher than that. Have to wait until 6900XT releases in a few days to try flashing its BIOS 5700 or Vega56 style.

You'd have to think that if anyone was in line to get a 6900XT for testing it'd be him though. No power limits and a bit better silicon and 3000Mhz should be within reach, which would make a nice headline for AMD.

"Just" hitting 2800 MHz on a 6800 XT is bonkers. Heck, if you could hit even "just" 2800 MHz on enthusiast-level cooling with a 6900 XT, that would probably beat even an overclocked 3090 (since Ampere doesn't OC nearly as well) and even at 4K where the memory bandwith gives Ampere an advantage. Obviously, Ampere will still win big in Ray Tracing, too big a gap to overcome, but in rasterization a 2800 MHz 6900 XT would be really impressive... and 3000 MHz...

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...

AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Review: Powerful and Pricey | Tom's Hardware

As predicted, great rasterized performance for all native resolutions but absolutely abysmal Ray Tracing performance and no significant DLSS equivalent.

I think we know the target audience here, conservative high powered gamers who can't be bothered with modern features yet.

Abysmal RT performance in historic nVidia branded games means very little. Most future titles will be of the Dirt 5/ WD:L mold since AMD is in consoles, and there AMD relatively outperforms nVidia.

Funny thing is, they really could have had a >80CU card since the performance scaling is almost linear and the 6900XT is ~12% faster than a 6800XT with 12% more cores.

Top end cards are always awful value. But if I win Lotto I promise I will buy a 6900XT, liquid cool it and overclock it to 3000 Mhz, for the memes.