Jump to content

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

From 2008-2010 Democrats wiped the floor in congress...and they did absolutely nothing!  If they squander it, yet another Teabag-esque Republican momentum will come in and start the cycle all over again.

That is precisely what’s going to happen. My prediction is the very first thing they will do when Congress and the new president are seated in January will be to vote themselves a pay raise. And that’s just going to set the tone. Then in 2022 they will lose one or both houses of Congress. The pattern has been clear for the past 30 years. Oh no the Republicans have screwed up the country let’s vote for the Democrats. Oh no the Democrats have screwed up the country let’s vote for the Republicans.

remind me again what is the definition of insanity?

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Get off my lawn!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That is precisely what’s going to happen. My prediction is the very first thing they will do when Congress and the new president are seated in January will be to vote themselves a pay raise. And that’s just going to set the tone. Then in 2022 they will lose one or both houses of Congress. The pattern has been clear for the past 30 years. Oh no the Republicans have screwed up the country let’s vote for the Democrats. Oh no the Democrats have screwed up the country let’s vote for the Republicans.

remind me again what is the definition of insanity?

 

What exactly have the Democrats in crongress screwed up since, I dunno, the repeal of Glass-Steagall? I guess they helped pass the Patriot act?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Is it just me or is trump becoming even more unwrapped as we get closer to the end of this thing?

It's not just you, the closer he gets to the election the more wild and erratic he has become (and I'm sure that the getting COVID hasn't helped his already questionable mental state).

"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
-H. H. Munro

 

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not exactly proud of it guys but I still think Trump is going to win again, Dems may pick up a few seats but this cycle is literally no different than it has been for past few decades.  8 years D, 8 years R, rinse, and repeat.  The other side gets all optimistic and bubble-minded on how there's some kind of secret embedded American mentality that's going to rise up and destroy the opposition then they wind up dumbfounded on why they lost.  Republicans did that in 2012:  "Oh oh Americans just made a mistake voting for Obummer, they'll come around and vote Romney absolutely, we got this in the bag!"

I just don't want people to get their hopes up.  Biden or Trump it's all part of the same two party ponzi scheme.  American "democracy" is a failure.

Edited by ComradeMaster
  • Like 1

'He who seeks to defend everything, defends nothing."

King Frederick the Great of Prussia

OUT OF STOCK

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else the politicians fail to grasp. The majority of voters are not voting for anything. They are voting against the alternative. They don’t understand they were simply the least bad option

Get off my lawn!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Its car sized?  It was refrigerator sized earlier in the week.

Article says

"A car-sized asteroid called 2018 VP1 will swing past Earth on November 2, the day before Election Day 2020."

then


 

"Asteroid 2018VP1, a refrigerator-sized space-rock, is hurtling towards us at more than 40,000 km/hr."

 

Well...I guess a car and a fridge can be the same size. 😛

 

  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Article says

"A car-sized asteroid called 2018 VP1 will swing past Earth on November 2, the day before Election Day 2020."

then


 

"Asteroid 2018VP1, a refrigerator-sized space-rock, is hurtling towards us at more than 40,000 km/hr."

 

Well...I guess a car and a fridge can be the same size. 😛

 

Definately in the US. The size of people indicates the size of the fridges. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.comicsands.com/rudy-giuliani-reason-biden-story-2648400488.html

"Mr. Giuliani said he chose The Post because 'either nobody else would take it, or if they took it, they would spend all the time they could to try to contradict it before they put it out.'"

---

"Pondering which paragraph is more incredible. The lead, where we learn why the reporter who wrote the NY Post story took his byline off; or the one where Giuliani says he chose the Post because another paper might have wasted time fact checking."

 

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/does-america-have-covid-problem-or-obesity-problem

Some interesting points raised. 

But also there is something in this, that you'd rather let people get morbidly obese than shame them into getting fit, for their own good. 

 

While for sure you need to be careful with the covid spread and do not underestimate it, as even at various restrictions and flattening of the curve related actions, hospitalization rate is higher than the health care system could whistand in unmitigated conditions, the overall health condition does impact severity of the infection and its results. 

Edited by Darkpriest
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

But also there is something in this, that you'd rather let people get morbidly obese than shame them into getting fit, for their own good.

Heh, silly Democrats trying to convince people to vote for them. They should just shame people into stopping to be conservatives.

Be better. Stop being a disgusting conversative. It's for your own good.

 

So did that work? Did I properly shame you into being progressive? Yes? Great. Who wants to be next?

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know I can't catch obesity from someone.

50 minutes ago, majestic said:

Heh, silly Democrats trying to convince people to vote for them. They should just shame people into stopping to be conservatives.

Be better. Stop being a disgusting conversative. It's for your own good.

 

So did that work? Did I properly shame you into being progressive? Yes? Great. Who wants to be next?

If that was the case Gromnir hammering on the muslim ban would have gotten Trump support to disappear on this forum. The more likely outcome is them doubling down and wanting to unleash the freedom police to throw people they don't like in liberty jails to fight big government anarchist mega-corp socialism.

  • Like 4

"I am the expert, asshat." - Hurlshot

"I'm fine with humanity being wiped out" - majestic

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, majestic said:

Heh, silly Democrats trying to convince people to vote for them. They should just shame people into stopping to be conservatives.

Be better. Stop being a disgusting conversative. It's for your own good.

 

So did that work? Did I properly shame you into being progressive? Yes? Great. Who wants to be next?

Problem is, progresivness is a mental ilness 😉 so it would be the other way around 😂

Btw, nice try comparing medical conditions to beliefs. Are you one of those people claiming that math is opprssive? 

 

 

But on a more serious note, being morbidly fat is unhealthy and is a factor when it comes to how often someone needs medical assistance and it certainly is a factor when it comes to issues with heart or respiratory system of your body. 

And in case of COVID it is a factor in your chances of survival, once you got it, since its a heavy strain on an already encoumbered body. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Problem is, progresivness is a mental ilness 😉 so it would be the other way around 😂

Btw, nice try comparing medical conditions to beliefs. Are you one of those people claiming that math is opprssive? 

 

 

But on a more serious note, being morbidly fat is unhealthy and is a factor when it comes to how often someone needs medical assistance and it certainly is a factor when it comes to issues with heart or respiratory system of your body. 

And in case of COVID it is a factor in your chances of survival, once you got it, since its a heavy strain on an already encoumbered body. 

 

 

Well that one flew right by you, ey? Sigh.

Of course being morbidly obese is bad for your health. Smoking is bad for your health, as is excessive consumation of alcohol or any other recreative drug. But here's the real point: You can't shame people into changing what they're doing. Not when we're talking about beliefs and especially not when you're shaming behaviour that is based on addiction or hundreds of thousand of years of evolution. Plain outlawing won't help either (otherwise there would be no drugs and prohibition would have worked instead of being a complete disaster).

You could help by education, support and guidance. Telling the lardass you see on the street that he's a disgusting fat slob and should be ashamed of himself will just make him grab a burger at McD's, eat it to feel better and then go home to hide, causing them to become even more sedentary. Good job, you just made things worse. It will certainly not cause the guy to sign up at the nearest gym.

There's also this entire thing where you need to realize that being fit doesn't automatically cause obesity to go away. Sign up at the gym, excercise all you want, if you keep eating unhealthy high calorie food you're not going to lose weight. You'll be a lot healthier, yes, but none the slimmer for it. You can observe that easily by looking at studies made with Sumo wrestlers. By all accounts as long as they're active and training they're as obese as, well, other obese people but they have none of the issues usually associated with being overweight (except wear and tear for all the extra weight you carry around).

Obesity starts and stops with what you eat, not what you do - what you do only fortifies the issue or helps alleviating it, it will never solve it. For years doctors have argued to introduce  color coding on food. Green for healthy, yellow for bad and red for terrible. Recently another idea joined the fold: Replacing (or simply adding to) the calorie values on the food with the amount of excercise you need to to do burn it off. So while stuffing that Big Mac in your face you could ready "You really need to run for an hour at a high pace to burn off all that fat you just ate" and maybe think twice about it the next time.

But all those ideas are usually shot down immediately. People should be allowed to freedom to make their own choices, as the usual argument goes. In reality, people can only make choices when they are educated enough about something to make that decision properly. A table that shows the content of the food and a nice number in calories or joules doesn't help apparently. The actual reason why color coding or information about how much exercise you would need to burn something off again isn't happening?

Yeah. That's because it would hurt profits of the very people who design unhealthy food to be as attractive* as possible. Can't have that. But that's the fun about the internet, instead of seeing conspiracies where they really are people believe high ranking Democrats drink the blood of abused children to increase their life span (why is Joe Biden such a doddering old fool in that case?) or that Bill Gates wants to implant microchips through innoculations.

*That actually means addictive. Because that's what it is. Ever opened a bag of chips and could not put it down until it was empty? Right. That's because chips were designed to be that way. Lots of salt, fat and carbohydrates. You literally can't stop eating because your body tells you to gobble it all up - you'll never know when you get your hands on food that rich the next time. Except we're of course living in a time when the next time you can get your hands on food that rich... is simply the two steps to the cupboard away.

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, majestic said:

 

Well that one flew right by you, ey? Sigh.

Of course being morbidly obese is bad for your health. Smoking is bad for your health, as is excessive consumation of alcohol or any other recreative drug. But here's the real point: You can't shame people into changing what they're doing. Not when we're talking about beliefs and especially not when you're shaming behaviour that is based on addiction or hundreds of thousand of years of evolution. Plain outlawing won't help either (otherwise there would be no drugs and prohibition would have worked instead of being a complete disaster).

You could help by education, support and guidance. Telling the lardass you see on the street that he's a disgusting fat slob and should be ashamed of himself will just make him grab a burger at McD's, eat it to feel better and then go home to hide, causing them to become even more sedentary. Good job, you just made things worse. It will certainly not cause the guy to sign up at the nearest gym.

There's also this entire thing where you need to realize that being fit doesn't automatically cause obesity to go away. Sign up at the gym, excercise all you want, if you keep eating unhealthy high calorie food you're not going to lose weight. You'll be a lot healthier, yes, but none the slimmer for it. You can observe that easily by looking at studies made with Sumo wrestlers. By all accounts as long as they're active and training they're as obese as, well, other obese people but they have none of the issues usually associated with being overweight (except wear and tear for all the extra weight you carry around).

Obesity starts and stops with what you eat, not what you do - what you do only fortifies the issue or helps alleviating it, it will never solve it. For years doctors have argued to introduce  color coding on food. Green for healthy, yellow for bad and red for terrible. Recently another idea joined the fold: Replacing (or simply adding to) the calorie values on the food with the amount of excercise you need to to do burn it off. So while stuffing that Big Mac in your face you could ready "You really need to run for an hour at a high pace to burn off all that fat you just ate" and maybe think twice about it the next time.

But all those ideas are usually shot down immediately. People should be allowed to freedom to make their own choices, as the usual argument goes. In reality, people can only make choices when they are educated enough about something to make that decision properly. A table that shows the content of the food and a nice number in calories or joules doesn't help apparently. The actual reason why color coding or information about how much exercise you would need to burn something off again isn't happening?

Yeah. That's because it would hurt profits of the very people who design unhealthy food to be as attractive* as possible. Can't have that. But that's the fun about the internet, instead of seeing conspiracies where they really are people believe high ranking Democrats drink the blood of abused children to increase their life span (why is Joe Biden such a doddering old fool in that case?) or that Bill Gates wants to implant microchips through innoculations.

*That actually means addictive. Because that's what it is. Ever opened a bag of chips and could not put it down until it was empty? Right. That's because chips were designed to be that way. Lots of salt, fat and carbohydrates. You literally can't stop eating because your body tells you to gobble it all up - you'll never know when you get your hands on food that rich the next time. Except we're of course living in a time when the next time you can get your hands on food that rich... is simply the two steps to the cupboard away.

I do agree with the measures. I do not mean shame as in shame 'directly', but shame the culture of being fat, and stop accepting or even promoting it. Smokers and Alcoholics are culturally shamed. 

You also do not receive an irrational backlash, when you voice your concern to an alcoholic or a smoker about their habbits, even though they will most likely graba bottle or cigarete when stressed out with the situation

Edited by Darkpriest
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Amentep said:

Its car sized?  It was refrigerator sized earlier in the week.

To be honest it's a reminder that US will use literally anything else to avoid metric system.

9 hours ago, majestic said:

Heh, silly Democrats trying to convince people to vote for them. They should just shame people into stopping to be conservatives.

Aren't they doing exactly that? Trying to shame and bully people to stay in line and be afraid to show they are conservative? 

On the other note the whole "body positive" movement is the equivalent of telling alcoholic that drinking improves his personality.

7 hours ago, KaineParker said:

As far as I know I can't catch obesity from someone.

Well my extra kilograms are all fault of my grandmother and her fear of people leaving her home hungry.

166215__front.jpg.45518d58bdab611f0e3a026d3b8c6489.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skarpen said:

Aren't they doing exactly that? Trying to shame and bully people to stay in line and be afraid to show they are conservative?

Of course they are, and it doesn't work. That was my entire point. :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ranted before about the rampant corruption of the right wing government in Australia, but this sort of puts a few figures on it... $1.000.000 Australian dollars is the price for buying a bishop out of his pedophile sentence (so he could jump ship and run away to the Vatican)

 

Today the Australian Federal Police (AFP) confirmed it had received "information" from the federal financial crimes regulator AUSTRAC regarding the allegations.

"This is part of a routine exchange of financial intelligence between AUSTRAC and the AFP," the agency said.

The AFP said it was reviewing the information, and had also referred "aspects" of the matter to Victoria's Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC).

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-21/afp-refers-vatican-george-pell-trial-payment-allegations-to-ibac/12799638

 

 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, ComradeMaster said:

I'm not exactly proud of it guys but I still think Trump is going to win again, Dems may pick up a few seats but this cycle is literally no different than it has been for past few decades.  8 years D, 8 years R, rinse, and repeat.  The other side gets all optimistic and bubble-minded on how there's some kind of secret embedded American mentality that's going to rise up and destroy the opposition then they wind up dumbfounded on why they lost.  Republicans did that in 2012:  "Oh oh Americans just made a mistake voting for Obummer, they'll come around and vote Romney absolutely, we got this in the bag!"

I just don't want people to get their hopes up.  Biden or Trump it's all part of the same two party ponzi scheme.  American "democracy" is a failure.

How is it a failure? History shows exactly the opposite; a resounding success. Both parties keep a watchful eye on each other, which helps significantly reduce corruption. Voters get a regular opportunity to throw out the worst of the lot, which is much more than the people get in, say, Russia, North Korea, or China.

  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rjshae said:

How is it a failure? History shows exactly the opposite; a resounding success. Both parties keep a watchful eye on each other, which helps significantly reduce corruption. Voters get a regular opportunity to throw out the worst of the lot, which is much more than the people get in, say, Russia, North Korea, or China.

Lol.

And those three countries are a really low bar to pick.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gorth locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...