Politics 20/20

Amentep

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thought I'd stop by since I was already here.  There is no way in hell that the polls are *that* wrong.  I don't see Trump winning this.  If the polls are wrong by that amount in that many states, it is all havoc!  Doesn't mean people shouldn't vote for Trump.  Just means that they should do so with their eyes open and without their head in the sand.

• Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

2 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

Thought I'd stop by since I was already here.  There is no way in hell that the polls are *that* wrong.  I don't see Trump winning this.  If the polls are wrong by that amount in that many states, it is all havoc!  Doesn't mean people shouldn't vote for Trump.  Just means that they should do so with their eyes open and without their head in the sand.

I tend to agree with this sentiment and also the reality of most modern Democracies is we dont vote on the predictions of polls but rather on the policies and or ideological views of candidates and how they align to a specific party 

Political polls provide us with a degree of accuracy at understanding a  " snapshot at that moment  of peoples political views " but this can change and is mostly accurate....I now believe  its undecided voters in the USA ,who make voting decisions at the last moment, that created the anomaly in the accuracy of the 2016 polling data 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Instead of a debate, they should have to compete in a fighting game tournament.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

15 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I wonder, when the losses will break the backs of senior managers and execs of these businesses. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/shoplifting-mobs-bulldoze-entire-luxury-ny-stores-security-paralyzed-fears-theyll-be

I find these stories both alarming and incredibly frustrating because basically as the articles suggests lawlessness and anarchy get ignored in the interests of political expediency or because police or security " dont want to be seen as racist " when  they have a job to do and they should be doing it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

From the article, a Twitter quote:

Looters in SoHo are pulling up in expensive cars (which they own) and looting the whole place. 

-Ian Miles Cheong

If the mobs are anonymous, how does he know they own the cars they pull up in? 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

If they stole them, and nobody is stopping them, wouldn't that be even worse? 

That's not what Cheong was getting at; he was trying to present it as affluent minorities stealing because they could cow people because of their race, and that only works if they "own" the cars to show they're affluent.  Without that, his statement can't be about intersections of class and race, with a theme about how some races are abusing the current political climate for their personal gain.

Regarding it being worse, my understanding is that auto thefts aren't particularly easy to stop individually.  "Chop shop" operations may be, but taking an individual car to commit a further crime is a roll of the dice to stop.

• Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 minutes ago, Amentep said:

That's not what Cheong was getting at; he was trying to present it as affluent minorities stealing because they could cow people because of their race, and that only works if they "own" the cars to show they're affluent.  Without that, his statement can't be about intersections of class and race, with a theme about how some races are abusing the current political climate for their personal gain.

Regarding it being worse, my understanding is that auto thefts aren't particularly easy to stop individually.  "Chop shop" operations may be, but taking an individual car to commit a further crime is a roll of the dice to stop.

Now I am confused, are you suggesting Cheong is saying that these brazen, criminal acts were committed by people who have resources and wealth but they doing it because they want to " cow people because of there race "

What exactly does that mean when you say  " cow people  xxxx  race" . Im not seeing the corollary between theft and the statement?

John Milton 

Things said by Cheong aren't worth paying attention to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Now I am confused, are you suggesting Cheong is saying that these brazen, criminal acts were committed by people who have resources and wealth but they doing it because they want to " cow people because of there race "

What exactly does that mean when you say  " cow people  xxxx  race" . Im not seeing the corollary between theft and the statement?

The article DarkPriest linked to is about shops being "bulldozed" by burglers who the stores won't call the police on because they don't want to be accused of racism, allegedly, and so are allowing them to shoplift millions of dollars of merchandise.

Cheong was quoted as saying that they were using high-end automobiles that they "owned", but since the shoplifters aren't being captured, how can he know they own the cars?  

"Cow" in this sense was used as a verb to mean "to frighten someone into doing something", in this case to frighten people into inaction for fear of accusations of racism (which, again, was the point of the article DarkPriest linked).

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

Things said by Cheong aren't worth paying attention to.

Yeah, probably, but...couldn't resist.  It is a failing in me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't Cheong the guy who was a nazi fanboy on rpg codex and then bounced around different grifts for the last decade?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

36 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Isn't Cheong the guy who was a nazi fanboy on rpg codex and then bounced around different grifts for the last decade?

Wonder if he's posted about battling Antifa commandos.

57 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Wonder if he's posted about battling Antifa commandos.

Probably, a lot of these guys seem to think having a social media account is equivalent to fighting a war so Ian getting dunked on must feel like an assault from the antifa death squads.

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

Yes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I am so sick of hearing Ruth Bader Ginsburg being championed as some arch defender of civil rights. She was nothing of the sort. She was a defender of the civil liberties that she believed in and a militant opponent of others. And damn what the law said.  

Yes I know, De mortuis nil nisi bonum. But we also owe it to ourselves to be truthful

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I am so sick of hearing Ruth Bader Ginsburg being championed as some arch defender of civil rights. She was nothing of the sort. She was a defender of the civil liberties that she believed in and a militant opponent of others. And damn what the law said.  

Yes I know, De mortuis nil nisi bonum. But we also owe it to ourselves to be truthful

She is also known as a stalwart supporter of womens rights and she helped improve the reality of women in the USA and that helped with gender equality globally, so no need for too much acrimony as these things matter 8)

https://heavy.com/news/2020/09/ruth-bader-ginsburg-rbg-womens-rights/

John Milton 

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

She was nothing of the sort.

While I suspect that no Justice could wholly be seen as supporting all civil liberties, in part because there are going to be situations where multiple liberties conflict, I would, personally, say that she did more to defend them than she did to restrict them (particularly when it came to the First Amendment). Although my guess is that, in part, we might disagree on Originalism and that might account for the conflicting view?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

2 hours ago, KaineParker said:

I wanted to post exactly the same some hours ago but the forum wouldn't let me do that from the phone. 😆

Why is anyone even paying attention to that douchewaffle.

Edited by Lexx
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I wanted to post exactly the same some hours ago but the forum wouldn't let me do that from the phone. 😆

Why is anyone even paying attention to that douchewaffle.

I think he gets attention because he has a relatively large platform and is a consistent source of bad takes and bull****. In a perfect world he'd be ignored, but in this one he spreads rumors that could get people arrested or killed (he recently did this with a shooting I believe) so monitoring him and similar grifters is necessary to keep people safe.