Politics 20/20

Amentep

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

"We think it clear that the sections under consideration, which only forbid bodies of men to associate together as military organizations, or to drill or parade with arms in cities and towns unless authorized by law, do not infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms. But a conclusive answer to the contention that this amendment prohibits the legislation in question lies in the fact that the amendment is a limitation only upon the power of congress and the national government, and not upon that of the state."2nd amendment honks may claim God is on their side, but the better part o' the entirety o' US history and and all relevant Court decisions until 1939 (and perhaps far more recent as miller serves only to confuse,) is favoring state and local gun control... and such gun control ran the gamut from incidental to draconian. definition matters not save for your arguments regarding strict gun control laws.

You know what? I'd be OK with this. State and local governments are far more persuadable and in tune with their constituent populations. Plus if you find your current resident State heavy handed and ornery then it's easy to move to a different one. There is no escaping Leviathan-On-The-Potomac. States already do a good job administering concealed carry permits (which is a privilege not a right). So getting the goddamned Federal government out of gun control and regulation and making it solely a state and local government issue is a win. As long as they are mindful of Scalia's caveat that prohibition is NOT reasonable regulation. 

@Guard Dog

am not certain as to causes. urban is more likely to result in homicides and violent crimes as 'posed to rural regardless o' general poverty stats. fact. why? dunno. most homicides is actual crimes o' passion as 'posed to planned, but even gun violence which don't end in death and would appear to be premeditated is having similar skew towards urban. sure, w/i the municipality, poverty appears to be a major contributing factor, but why is so much more likely in urban?

am recalling a british paper which found that impulsivity in rats increases once a non-specific population density is reached, with a sharp escalation in the prevalence o' aberrant behaviours once the threshold is exceeded.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Population density is certainly a possible causation. God knows I was a LOT happier when I realized I was the only human in visible range in any direction I looked. But I am rather anti social. But I have found, anecdotally, that folks in small towns are much happier and community minded than folks in urban or even suburban communities. 

The reason I most attribute to the disparity, and this might make you laugh, is the prevalence or religion and (as a consequence) moral instruction of kids. That is not to suggest children brought up without a heavy dose of religious instruction are not given moral instruction by their parents. Many certainly are. But valuing community and Gods fellow creatures are a pretty big part of the church experience. IMO only, the first step to not murdering or exploiting fellow humans is to be taught that they have value. That their lives are meaningful beyond what use the individual thinks they might be. 

Like I said, purely my own opinion.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Crayon for rough drafts, sharpie for big boy writing.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The reason I most attribute to the disparity, and this might make you laugh, is the prevalence or religion and (as a consequence) moral instruction of kids. That is not to suggest children brought up without a heavy dose of religious instruction are not given moral instruction by their parents. Many certainly are. But valuing community and Gods fellow creatures are a pretty big part of the church experience. IMO only, the first step to not murdering or exploiting fellow humans is to be taught that they have value. That their lives are meaningful beyond what use the individual thinks they might be. 

Like I said, purely my own opinion.

Religion can be a factor, especially in a place where nearly everyone is religious and that adds to people's trust towards each other. However, in many parts of the world where religion isn't that important, you still have the same correlation of violence in rural/urban areas. Personally I think it's got to do more with trust. In places of conformity, there is less conflict and less violence.

Also, it's not like irreligeous people don't teach their kids morals. Many of the most peaceful places on this earth are largely atheist.

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Historically this doesn't hold up, religion has easily gone hand in hand with murder, exploitation, and other atrocities.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

28 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Historically this doesn't hold up, religion has easily gone hand in hand with murder, exploitation, and other atrocities.

Historically, religion has gone hand in hand with pretty much everything.

4 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Well yeah, so it seems strange to credit religion specifically for not murdering or exploiting people.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

Well yeah, so it seems strange to credit religion specifically for not murdering or exploiting people.

Ah, my bad. I thought you were going to the opposite extreme of GD's point. I don't agree with GD's point either.  

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

This pleases father Nurgle...

uMyRqYx.jpeg

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://evolvepolitics.com/the-tories-have-passed-a-bill-giving-the-government-powers-to-legally-murder-their-political-opponents-yes-seriously/?

Last night in the House of Commons, the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill was passed by a margin of 182-20 at second reading.
The official description of the bill is to “authorise conduct by officials and agents of the security and intelligence services, law enforcement, and certain other public authorities, which would otherwise constitute criminality.”

The government say that the bill is to put into formal legislation a previously secret power known as the “Third Direction” – an unofficial directive which allows covert state actors, such as MI5 operatives or undercover police officers, to break the law if they believe their actions will prevent a threat to national security or stop another serious crime from happening.

However, critics of the bill – including human rights organisations, opposition MPs, and even a number of Tory MPs themselves – have claimed the legislation is “rushed“, “ill-thought through“, and effectively hands the government a “licence to kill” whoever they want for any reason they see fit.

Whilst similar laws exist in both Canada and the USA to allow state actors to commit crimes in order to maintain national security, the legislation in both of these countries explicitly excludes certain serious crimes such as murder and torture.

However, the Tories’ Covert Human Intelligence Bill makes no such stipulations – placing “no specific limitations on the type of criminal activity that may be authorised”.
Extraordinarily, the bill also extends these authoritarian powers to numerous ostensibly unrelated government agencies – such as The Competition and Markets Authority, The Environment Agency, The Financial Conduct Authority, The Food Standards Agency and even The Gambling Commission.
In addition, the Tory bill allows state actors to commit crimes against its citizens in three extremely ambiguous, and effectively all-encompassing, scenarios:

• In the interests of national security.
  • For the purpose of preventing or detecting crime or of preventing disorder.
  • In the interests of the economic well-being of the United Kingdom.

Whilst it is widely accepted that the Third Direction directive allowed state actors to commit crimes specifically in order to protect national security, it is not believed there were any provisions regarding protecting the “economic well-being of the United Kingdom” or to “prevent disorder” – ambiguities which, if the new legislation passes, could easily be interpreted in whatever way a government wishes, including using them to suppress political opponents.

• Sad 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Scottish separatists better start hiding in The Highlands.... those English military drones will be out to get them!

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It now appears the spread and potential risk to people who work in White House is much more widespread than it first appeared

Most of the top people in the Pentagon have also been exposed and are in self-isolation

https://news.yahoo.com/military-leaders-quarantined-official-tests-170601426.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

It now appears the spread and potential risk to people who work in White House is much more widespread than it first appeared

Most of the top people in the Pentagon have also been exposed and are in self-isolation

https://news.yahoo.com/military-leaders-quarantined-official-tests-170601426.html

There's no "it now appears" about it. It was pretty obvious that the spread was inevitable after the first cases were discovered, and the White House's shocking refusal to help with contact tracing just compounds the cluster-foodspearingcutlery.

• Thanks 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

4 hours ago, Pidesco said:

There's no "it now appears" about it. It was pretty obvious that the spread was inevitable after the first cases were discovered, and the White House's shocking refusal to help with contact tracing just compounds the cluster-foodspearingcutlery.

it is reassuring that the pentagon, unlike the wh, is taking serious and following cdc guidelines. sure, the vice commandant likely got covid-19 from the wh, as he attended a gold star event at the wh a day after the now infamous rose garden event. that said, charles wray and all the other military brass now in quarantine were wearing masks when they were forced to be in close contact with each other. furthermore, as soon as pentagon folks became aware o' a positive test by the coast guard vice commandant, the brass immediate had anybody who were in close contact with wray quarantine according to cdc guidelines.  

not being afraid o' covid is much different from being an idiot about the dangers o' covid. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So who is planning on watching the VP debate tonight, I wont be watching as its too late but I will catch all the highlights from 5:30-6:00  am 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/5/2020 at 12:10 PM, Hurlshot said:

Well, religion is pretty much what anybody makes of it. But the point I was going for was the church experience not so much as the religious experience. Being taught from a young age that you are a part of a community and that everybody in the community is valuable cannot help but have a positive impact on people. There’s something to be said about small town and rural life. Entire generations of people grow up together. You know each other, you know each other‘s families, there are strong community bonds and churches are a big part of forming that. Here in Covington there is a church softball league where all the churches field a team and compete with each other. Even the Jewish temple. it’s a pretty big deal in town and everyone seems to enjoy it. In urban environments there are many more people but they are surrounded by legions of strangers. For one reason or another Community bonds tend not to form. 

once again I am no sociologist so this is purely my own opinion based on my own observation. It’s not like I’m out there participating in this kind of thing. I am after all the crazy old man living in the woods by himself 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

34 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Debate isn't over, but it is pretty clear that the fly on Pence's head is the winner.

fly won, but am gonna give pence a distant second... but not by much over harris. overall pence scored a few more points than harris, but on covid and transfer o' power he sorta flubbed and flopped. 

harris really coulda' hammered pence on the rose garden and the white house failure to follow the cdc guidelines. curious omission.

harris wouldn't answer 'bout Court packing. am curious why the biden ticket thinks the issue is so untouchable.

meh. 

this debate pushes the polls even less than the last.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

I tend to agree. I don't think Pence did anything to really win the debate, but as Kamala Harris's first real turn on the national stage, I think she needed to do more. I was expecting her to either be aggressive, given her prosecutorial background, or to be the more charming candidate (which really shouldn't be hard against Pence.) But I don't think she pulled off either one of those. It seemed too safe.

• Like 2