What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

On 1/15/2021 at 2:11 AM, Gorth said:

Almost finished with Game of Thrones now. Two more episodes in season 8 to go. I know, I was told here not to watch season 8 😛

But, it felt like the story started nosediving worse than a Boeing 737 MAX already during season 5. Weird plot lines that seems to lead nowhere, characters that started promising just fizzling out etc. Varys' character in particular taking a disappointing turn in later seasons. At least The Hound turned out a lot more interesting than initially expected and I find it hard not to like Tormund. I actually wished he had ended up with his "Big Warrior Woman" 😁

Gorthfuscious never forget, there was only one true queen and she was betrayed

There are lots of traitors on this forum who dont accept this, I know I can rely on you to support the one true Queen, destined to rule all realms 

Daenerys Targaryen forever !!!!

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Since I'm forced to pay a TV/public licence tax I've been trying to find something worthwhile from them and found an interesting podcast called P3 Dystopia, where they talk about the different threats to society, freedom and wellbeing. Nothing new for me so far, but it's still amusing enough to listen to. I've been very amused at how often they use Deus Ex Human Revolution OST music though. 😂

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My triglycerides went up again. Largely my own fault of course.  Point is it's depressing. I'm simply not the type who wants to "work" to simply stay alive. I saw my father do that in a way for all his life (MS/quadriplegic) and while that was a lot worse of a thing, yeah. I don't have that type of mentality in me.

Well, we shall see.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Took down the remaining Xmas decorations. All the easy stuff was gone last week but there were still some harder to reach lights still up.

Very few things more  unsettling than taking down Xmas decorations, then you know the festive season is  basically over :(

Of course we have had such a terrible 2020 so the end of it couldnt come quick enough for me 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Coworkers want to play games on Saturday and Sunday.  Bit too much to have to interact with these people 7 days a week now. Yet another reason I should have invented a wife and kids for a cover story.  Next job I will do that.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had a fun conversation with a user today.

User: "I cannot log in, it keeps telling me wrong user name or password, but we never changed the password!"

Me: "Yeah, I bet you always read every EULA you agree to as well, right?"

Honestly... if nobody changed the password of your branch account then it would still work. You're either too dumb to input a user name and a password correctly or someone in your branch changed it.

Well technically there's a "non-zero" chance that someone hacked the system and the only thing they did was change the password of one single user. Sure, that's probably what happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

23 minutes ago, majestic said:

User: "I cannot log in, it keeps telling me wrong user name or password, but we never changed the password!"

Honestly... if nobody changed the password of your branch account then it would still work. You're either too dumb to input a user name and a password correctly or someone in your branch changed it.

Well technically there's a "non-zero" chance that someone hacked the system and the only thing they did was change the password of one single user. Sure, that's probably what happened.

Plus most companies should have password policies that force you reset the your password at least every 6 weeks, that is a minimum password policy age  in most banks I have worked at and best practice should be every 3 weeks 

So in other words users should expect their password to change and previous password history should be disabled 

John Milton 

On 1/14/2021 at 7:11 PM, Gorth said:

But, it felt like the story started nosediving worse than a Boeing 737 MAX already during season 5.

Yeah, the quality of the show really started to degrade once D&D ran out of book material and had to come up with original plot (although they weren't that great about using book material either, particularly when they made completely unnecessary changes just to be more 'shocking' and 'controversial').

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Wish that'd apply to us. Apparently someone has it set so the passwords expire after 3 months, but then the first failed log in locks the account. So the user gets no notice that the password is expired so they can't avoid the lock out.  I guess this was done in order to give our L1 team something to do ?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

IT has it set for that automatic emails are sent to us every day starting 2-3 weeks before your 3 month period for a password expires.  Each email tells you how many days you have left before expiration.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

5 minutes ago, Amentep said:

IT has it set for that automatic emails are sent to us every day starting 2-3 weeks before your 3 month period for a password expires.  Each email tells you how many days you have left before expiration.

Yep, our app is just a POS. :lol: And appropriately, my Windows password is going to expire.  Time to make it password67 instead of 66.   Recall that these fixed life passwords may be counterproductive as it makes people choose poor passwords rather than just using a passphrase - $EAsucksRipWestwood2003neverforget! is easy to remember and decent quality.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

During my morning's 15k, I had the luxury of running into a 60 km headwind what left me with the sense of being stuck and going no where on a treadmill ...

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

3 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Yep, our app is just a POS. :lol: And appropriately, my Windows password is going to expire.  Time to make it password67 instead of 66.   Recall that these fixed life passwords may be counterproductive as it makes people choose poor passwords rather than just using a passphrase - $EAsucksRipWestwood2003neverforget! is easy to remember and decent quality.

Lol.  I've often wondered - they sometimes tout password managers so people can create really hard passwords and the password manager remembers them, but then I'm like - what if someone gets your password manager password?

I say this as someone who literally had 21 accounts on one program we use (thankfully, the vendor created a way to bundle certain access types together, so I just got that down to 2 last week...)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

14 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Lol.  I've often wondered - they sometimes tout password managers so people can create really hard passwords and the password manager remembers them, but then I'm like - what if someone gets your password manager password?

I say this as someone who literally had 21 accounts on one program we use (thankfully, the vendor created a way to bundle certain access types together, so I just got that down to 2 last week...)

Writing the passwords down works as well for that  - if someone's reading the notebook in your house then you've bigger problems, right ?

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

During my morning's 15k, I had the luxury of running into a 60 km headwind what left me with the sense of being stuck and going no where on a treadmill ...

Only much, much colder

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I made strawberry preserves from the berries I grew in the green house. Five 16 oz jars. All the planters are clear now. I bought and herb garden seed set online. Going to try my hand at that next.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

password_strength.png

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Me: "Life sucks."

=============
*binges Chinese melodrama, cathartic cry*
*binges Korean melodrama, cathartic cry*
*spends too much money on stuff I don't need*
*reads some Alan Watts*
*watches Shawshank Redemption for the umpteenth time*
==============

Me: "Life is ... moderately tolerable.  Oh yeah, need to buy some groceries...."
Hubby (shouting from across the room): "I better not see any chocolate or cookies added to that list!"

Me: "...Life sucks." 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

50 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Me: "Life sucks."

=============
*binges Chinese melodrama, cathartic cry*
*binges Korean melodrama, cathartic cry*
*spends too much money on stuff I don't need*
*reads some Alan Watts*
*watches Shawshank Redemption for the umpteenth time*
==============

Me: "Life is ... moderately tolerable.  Oh yeah, need to buy some groceries...."
Hubby (shouting from across the room): "I better not see any chocolate or cookies added to that list!"

Me: "...Life sucks." 

The thing is I dont think your life sucks that badly because you know the things you can can do to change certain realities but you decide not to do them,....so things cant be too bad 8)

John Milton 

Last night I went for an early braai\barbeque at my sisters new house , it was great seeing my Cpt family again because we have been avoiding each other since Xmas because of the increased virus spread in SA

Her and her boyfriend have  this couch which is stuffed with only down duck feathers....on  my hat !! I have never felt such a comfortable and soft couch in my life. I could sleep the rest of my life on this couch :thumbsup:

John Milton 

I build a cabinet during my free time last week. Isn't 100% finished. Today I will paint it. Since we moved into our hoise in June I build a kitchen cupboard, two loft beds, a kitchen isle, an office bookshelf, a cozy corner for reading and a bedroom cabinet. I also planted roughly a hundred shrubs and trees etc. in the garden. Feels good to work with your hands.

Today is painting day as I said. That's my least favorite thing unfortunately. I hate painting. :)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

The thing is I dont think your life sucks that badly because you know the things you can can do to change certain realities but you decide not to do them,....so things cant be too bad 8)

Well at least I'm not sitting around eating out of CostCo sized M&M jars. Someone on a game forum posted pics of those, good lord those things are enormous. Anyway, it's less the diet per se so much as having to think about it. I am an auto-pilot person.

More annoying right now is my right hand is still in arthritis flare up mode (left too, but not as severely). Every time I think it's improving I do something like wash the dishes and I'm back where I started. Thumbs/fingers tend to freeze/claw up like a broken fork, with any use, where I have to force pop it back into a straight position vs. a frozen claw.  So computing/gaming, holding books or a camera or gardening or much of anything that requires my smart hand is largely off the table for the moment. Last time it was 3-4 months before it really 'got better'.  Thus I am simply ... bored out of my mind - there is only so much Netflix I can stand. And one of the things I tend to want to do when bored out of my mind is ... snack.  It's a wonder I've never become truly fat. At least my genetics were good in that area.  :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:16 PM, Azdeus said:

That said, I'm looking forward to Fallout New Vegas; The Frontier, it's supposed to come out soon, and it looks cool!

Opened my email today and was flooded with comment notifications re: one of my 9+ year old FO:NV videos, making me go wtf? Its view count (relatively speaking) exploded apparently. Was scratching my head as to the reason for it - I guess this could be why? Silly YouTube recommendation algorithms. 😛

I heard it was a separate DLC-like format, which I assume means I can't take the main game NPC's in with me? Pity. Does look interesting tho, and well made.

And yes I double-posted again.

:ban:

• Like 1