What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

My covid test came back negative, I've just been having a long drawn out cold.

or you had a false negative, which is unfortunate too common. false Positive is improbable, but negative is a different situation.

hope you feel better soon.

as an aside, we got our covid-19 test last night at 7:00 pm and were told it were likely we would get results in five days.

five days. 

am personal feeling terrible at the moment, but our discomfort is probable the garden variety flu (which is pretty unpleasant as we ain't been able to sleep for more than an hour at a time 'cause o' muscle aches and such for four days) and am expecting a negative result... which is too bad 'cause am not even gonna have covid-19 antibodies following this bit o' illness which we expect to last the ordinary seven-to-ten days.

only positive o' getting the covid test: we took a shower before our appointment. unlike many covid sufferers, our sense o' smell is quite good as we were able to tell just how fetid we had become after four days o' cold sweats w/o taking a shower.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As a truck driver, I thankfully have to deal with people for a very small percentage of my job, but alas I can't avoid people entirely. I have learned a couple tricks of the trade when speaking to people that I think apply accross a multitude of industries:

1) Under no circumstance ever bring up politics. 

2) If the other party brings up politics make like a politician, ironically enough, and give as evasive and noncommittal a reply as possible.

3) If #2 occurs make every effort to exit the conversation as quickly as possible without being flat out rude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

33 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

or you had a false negative, which is unfortunate too common. false Positive is improbable, but negative is a different situation.

hope you feel better soon.

as an aside, we got our covid-19 test last night at 7:00 pm and were told it were likely we would get results in five days.

five days. 

am personal feeling terrible at the moment, but our discomfort is probable the garden variety flu (which is pretty unpleasant as we ain't been able to sleep for more than an hour at a time 'cause o' muscle aches and such for four days) and am expecting a negative result... which is too bad 'cause am not even gonna have covid-19 antibodies following this bit o' illness which we expect to last the ordinary seven-to-ten days.

only positive o' getting the covid test: we took a shower before our appointment. unlike many covid sufferers, our sense o' smell is quite good as we were able to tell just how fetid we had become after four days o' cold sweats w/o taking a shower.

HA! Good Fun!

Thank you, and the same to you!

It's not impossible, though I can't find any statistics here. My doctor was unconcerned enough to actually meet me without full NBC protection this time though, so there's that!

That said, I've always been "weak" when it comes to colds, they hang on forever it seems and my father is the same. Bad enough that my father used to have the nickname "Snöret"/"Snotty"(Much catchier in english than in Swedish, but much more accurate in Swedish since the same word means rope, and we're both lanky ****s 😂 ) which lead to me growing up as "Lil' Snotty" once I met some of them. That said, I've never really had a proper knockout flu.
I took my test on monday morning, so I got it somewhat quicker than expected considering that wednesday was a holiday, they expected up to 7 days.

I've not been really bad during the past two weeks, just a very runny nose, coughing and sneezing, no fever or such, but sitting still this much has been really bad for my general health and I had a temporary swelling of my right foot which, again, scared the **** outta me.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm putting this here even though it should go in the politics discussion.

Today I read a post by Hurlshot talking about stimulus money being paid for through tax payers taxes.

That made me think of the stimulus money I could apply for here in Greece.

I could apply for an in part return of my advance taxes. This would have to be repaid at low interest later.

Now you may wonder what I mean with advance taxes.

Back in 2015 with the financial crisis, the then government, under pressure by the EU troika, implemented an advance payment of taxes. You paid your income tax and a 100% advance on next year's income tax. Basically in 2015 we paid all our taxes twice. Since then we no longer pay taxes for the actual year, we always pay taxes as an advance for the next year. The income tax I am paying now with the paperwork for 2020 is in actuality the income tax for 2021. It is funny, but no other nation in the world has citizens who pay taxes this punctual.

Anyway, instead of a stimulus, I can have part of that advance payment returned.

But I'll have to repay it with interest.

So I'll pay interest on taxes on income that I may have next year.

Thanks for the stimulus.

Also what I did today: type out this post.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I signed up to receive the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine within the next few weeks. My team is going to figure out the exact order on Monday, since we don't want to take it all at once in case of any negative side effects, and I suspect I'll be towards the end since I'm able to work remotely (although also glad to be on the list and able to receive it given that, in the case of an emergency, I could go back on-site with some modicum of protection). I'll still be taking weekly COVID tests, even though I'm working from home we're all required to get tested at least once every seven days, but the more protection the better - particularly since I think this is going to get much, much worse.

I also submitted a paper examining the 2019 Measles Outbreak in New York City and State to be published in a minor journal, so ideally it will pass peer review and withstand the editor's pen. But even if that doesn't happen it was still exciting to have been asked to submit something in the first place.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Mood: Semi-despondent. I've once again been mostly lying in bed for a few days, playing the tablet-slots or watching various k-dramas - on the tablet ... the big TV doesn't fit underneath the covers, you see.  Also, eating too much chocolate and jam+crackers which my blood sugar is not happy about and right this moment I just don't care. 

Hubby: "You ate a whole box of those (Stoned Wheat Thins) crackers in less than half a day?"
Me: *brushes crumbs off her nightshirt*  "We have rats....?"
Hubby: *stern voice/look*  "I saw you were out of them but maybe I shouldn't have bought you any (on the way home)."

^ Hubby was largely not keeping track of what I was doing diet wise for a while. I think he's gone back on wife-watch alert.  😛

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Been home from work for five weeks now, I'm supposed to start work today, and I'm really not looking forward to it. Only because I work the 15-24:00 shift. Any of the others I want to do, but I hate working with the night shift since their jockeys are moronic dip****s that I always have to dress down.

Then again, at the moment I'm blissfully unaware of them destroying any of our stuff, but that'll only last until I log into my work email.

Edit; I'm also not looking forward to going to work with a cold, noone is going to be happy to see someone coughing and sneezing.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

We had a wind storm in the Puget Sound area last night and power was out until 6pm. Man, you never appreciate how much you depend on electricity until its gone. At least now I can get some heat back on now. Brr. 🥶

• Hmmm 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

6 hours ago, rjshae said:

We had a wind storm in the Puget Sound area last night and power was out until 6pm. Man, you never appreciate how much you depend on electricity until its gone. At least now I can get some heat back on now. Brr. 🥶

Why dont you just head into the woods, and I know guys have loads of woods, and hack down some small tree...no one will miss it

Then you take that wood back to your place and  make a fire the old fashioned way like our ancestors did for thousands of years...all this talk about " needing electricity to stay warm " is nothing but an evil Capitalist, imperialist ,  neo-Colonialist , Western , White male privilege  conspiracy theory designed to weaken and stop you achieving your destiny !!!! Dont believe it for 1 second !!!

:teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

What I find unsettling about a power outage is the utter silence. Its deafening! without the normal background noises (fans, tv, music, various appliances running, etc.). :lol:

It's so nice... unless I start hearing my tinnitus

• Like 2

Blood sugar is creeping upwards in the mornings again. Not tons, but guess I should give myself night shots again for a while.  I kinda figured it would happen over a long enough time. Well, especially since I've been laxer and laxer with diet and exercise.  Not extremely so, but enough so, haha.

Made another lab appointment via hospital website for the bloodwork test they like to do - I'll probably get a generic "lecture" email about number backsliding a bit, hahaa.  In the process I tried to see if there was any corona vaccine option yet.  I'm not in a personal hurry for such, was just curious ... didn't see anything.  Of course, I find their website horrible to navigate and figure out because I'm an old fuddy duddy who finds these things confusing nowadays.  I can program entertainment devices but can't figure out websites or cellphones, lol (I still can barely remember how to use a cell to dial a phone #).  I can't even figure out how to contact "my doctors" on their darn site.  Links just take me to their general info pages with no contact links like an email etc. I remember they phone-spammed me with some cost-extra program that would let me talk to doc center ppl faster ("more urgent priority") or something and I told them to F off so they'd stop calling.  They still spam my email constantly with "programs".  My inbox is always full with their not-related-to-my-condition spam, it's stupid considering it's a hospital. Show me the money I guess.

Whatever.  Just give me my insulin when I run low.  That's all I need.  😛

Edit:  The whole hospital thing (services, contacts, how they do stuff) with Kaiser is soooo different from when I was a kid.  30-40 years ago I mean.  And not for the better.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I talked to a Wall Street Journal reporter on background for a story she was doing, it'll be interesting to see the finished work (in theory it should be out within the week unless it gets shot down in editing).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

33 minutes ago, Deadly_Nightshade said:

I talked to a Wall Street Journal reporter on background for a story she was doing, it'll be interesting to see the finished work (in theory it should be out within the week unless it gets shot down in editing).

Link when it comes out!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finished up my real work around 1 o’clock today so I played fallout four this afternoon. You know, out of all of the things my sole survivor has accomplished It all just pales in comparison to saving and bringing back to good neighbor the drinking buddy robot. If Nate is known for nothing else he should be remembered for that!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Discovered the webtoons (manga/visual novel etc) site because of a k-drama based on a webtoon (so I looked up the 'toon).  Works great on the phone screen.  Lots to casually read (even if most are "ongoing"/not finished), from sci-fi to thriller to romance etc.  Works well with my current motivation level/mood.

The side observation I've made tho comes from all the user comments at end of each episode of whatever.  All these kids obsessed with getting "top comment" (kind of like "first!" I guess). I mean all the effort they seem to make to try to make a popular comment and then they edit and thank everyone for being top comment like they won an Academy Award (I sometimes see this on YouTube as well). I find this kind of sad for some reason.  The whole culture of need/want approval in this fashion.  I blame Facebook. :lol:

Almost finished with Game of Thrones now. Two more episodes in season 8 to go. I know, I was told here not to watch season 8 😛

But, it felt like the story started nosediving worse than a Boeing 737 MAX already during season 5. Weird plot lines that seems to lead nowhere, characters that started promising just fizzling out etc. Varys' character in particular taking a disappointing turn in later seasons. At least The Hound turned out a lot more interesting than initially expected and I find it hard not to like Tormund. I actually wished he had ended up with his "Big Warrior Woman" 😁

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Finished up my real work around 1 o’clock today so I played fallout four this afternoon. You know, out of all of the things my sole survivor has accomplished It all just pales in comparison to saving and bringing back to good neighbor the drinking buddy robot. If Nate is known for nothing else he should be remembered for that!

I brought it to my sanctuary. I mean, cool fresh beer in the wasteland? Yeah, I'm definetly taking that. :p

That said, I'm looking forward to Fallout New Vegas; The Frontier, it's supposed to come out soon, and it looks cool!

To add to my little rant from monday by the by, I've been telling the night shift to stop using their ****ing dirty ass gloves inside the tractors. Every day this week I've had to spend upwards of thirty minutes to wipe every ****ing gripping surface; the steering wheel, control joystick, the knob to move the armrest with the joystick out of the way. But. Not. The. ****ing. HANDBRAKE.

I HATE the idiots working the night shift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

But, it felt like the story started nosediving worse than a Boeing 737 MAX already during season 5. Weird plot lines that seems to lead nowhere, characters that started promising just fizzling out etc. Varys' character in particular taking a disappointing turn in later seasons. At least The Hound turned out a lot more interesting than initially expected and I find it hard not to like Tormund. I actually wished he had ended up with his "Big Warrior Woman"

Take a guess during which season they ran out of book content to adapt...

Hint: It's the number between 4 and 6.

Season 5 is also the season where every character chose the STUPID feat during level up in order to get them to the ending D&D planned with GRRM, and where GRRM removed himself from the show's production and writing because everyone was badgering him about finishing the damned books (me included, although... not to him, I just sit *here* and complain :p). 's the problem with having an ending in mind and finding out that it makes no sense for the characters to get there. It took Martin the better part of six years to figure out how to get Dany away from Meereen in the books, let alone make her cross the sea, which hasn't even happened yet.

That's how the entire Dorne subplot ended up being completely pointless in the show, for instance. It's not finished in the books and a good deal of characters that are involved were cut from the show. In the books Trystane's sister Arianne is involved in an attempt to kidnap Myrcella with the Sand Snakes to force her father into going to war with the Lannisters while his older brother Quentyn is sent to Meereen to make good on a secret marriage contract between the Martells and the Targaryens (Arianne was to be Viserys' wife).

Since the show needed Myrcella to go to Dorne they had to put Dorne in (as a separate location instead of just the origin of Prince Oberyn of Mandalore), and what we got was bad. No, terrible. Actually... terribad. Oh boy.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Endured 2 hours of finance training, realize why I hate this business. 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours in. I wasn't able to make it non-stop though unfortunately since I had to drive my mother to the store. 😭

Also, bought some tea, chai and "Hall of the mountain king".

That, and about 8 hours of kingmaker

When you're bored of other things and wouldn't mind playing a game but still nothing appeals and you know you'd just turn anything off in 10 minutes anyway. My PC has just been an overpowered mp3 player recently.

...man there needs to be more solo/non-social/non-craft time-wasters for introverted homebodies like myself. I can just never think of anything. Maybe it's time to start buying all the (likely not as good) S. King novels I haven't read these past many years and plow through those. Or start renting a lot of B grade movies.  I remember when I used to rent 6 movies at a time from Blockbuster (so $18+ back then) every weekend. I had a higher tolerance for mediocre movies once, when movies were more of a luxury vs. available everywhere constantly.  :lol: